Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What exactly IS a good fasting blood sugar level? page 2

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My fasting blood glucose was 104. Should I worry? My doctor wants me to have it retested in a couple of months, should I "prep" for this test?

I've been <50 grams carbs for 18 months, mostly primal for 12...
    Last edited by Adrianag; 06-14-2011 at 01:23 AM.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    My fasting blood glucose was 104. Should I worry? My doctor wants me to have it retested in a couple of months, should I "prep" for this test?

I've been <50 grams carbs for 18 months, mostly primal for 12...
    The reason 104 is concerning is that it will also bump up your number after eating, and numbers over 140 are fairly clearly shown to cause physical damage (in mice, but I think it's believable). Most people with a number over 90 (if you are a native South American it is 98% at 90, still there's some good data at other numbers for other genetic groups) are on a treadmill into worsening diabetes, probably for that reason.

Here's the thing: if you are mostly primal you could still be spiking your blood sugar. There is no test your doctor can do to check that (glucose tolerance isn't about the food you eat, a1c only gets an average). I suggest buying a meter (less than $50) and test strips (about a dollar each) and start testing 1 HR after eating so you can find out what is the right thing for you to eat.

Given that there is already a problem, the recommendation is not to go over 120. A good book on diabetes is <I>The Bernstein Diabetes Solution</I>.

Ah yes... There is also the matter that the 104 could be a fluke. So could the next test. The only way to really know your fasting blood sugar is to take it yourself over several days and see what the trend is.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    The reason 104 is concerning is that it will also bump up your number after eating, and numbers over 140 are fairly clearly shown to cause physical damage (in mice, but I think it's believable). Most people with a number over 90 (if you are a native South American it is 98% at 90, still there's some good data at other numbers for other genetic groups) are on a treadmill into worsening diabetes, probably for that reason.

Here's the thing: if you are mostly primal you could still be spiking your blood sugar. There is no test your doctor can do to check that (glucose tolerance isn't about the food you eat, a1c only gets an average). I suggest buying a meter (less than $50) and test strips (about a dollar each) and start testing 1 HR after eating so you can find out what is the right thing for you to eat.

Given that there is already a problem, the recommendation is not to go over 120. A good book on diabetes is <I>The Bernstein Diabetes Solution</I>.

Ah yes... There is also the matter that the 104 could be a fluke. So could the next test. The only way to really know your fasting blood sugar is to take it yourself over several days and see what the trend is.
    I have also read that Low carbers are prone to a higher fasting blood glucose and you should carb load up to 150 grams for 3 days prior to testing. I think I'll invest in that meter...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12