Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggested activity monitor

Hybrid View

Suggested activity monitor

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive activity monitor (e.g. clip on)? Note - I am not particularly looking for a pedometer. I.e., I want something to keep track of all my activity, not just walking or running. I don't want it badly enough to pay over about $35 at the very most.
    Last edited by Hedonist2; 06-02-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Do you have a smart phone of any kind? I think there are some pretty good apps you can put on the phone for free of very cheap that will monitor that for you.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

No, I just have an old, dumb phone. It doesn't even take pictures.

Looked at lots of monitors/pedometers. Bought Striiv Smart Pedometer. I'll post more when I have used it.

Expensive, but no monthly fee. By walking I can make donations to worthy causes. Made in the U.S. I'm not rigid about buying here but there are countries I try to avoid. Supposedly, Japan makes the best pedometers but I couldn't find what I wanted from there.

June 1 update NOT MADE IN THE U.S. MADE IN CHINA. GRRRRR! FRAUD, IMHO.
    Last edited by Hedonist2; 06-02-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

I like the Fitbit, but the basic model is $60 or $70. I recommend it to clients because you can record and input a ton of data and you can compete with other people via their dashboard. It also allows me to keep tabs on them wrt physical activity outside of training.

+1 for the Fitbit One-very happy with it and the website / app is free.

I love the Striiv so far, esp. the donations and it being made in U.S.

I use a pedometer and have found of real benefits, especially at work where i can be really busy but not move around much. Now I'm aware of it i can take steps (ha) to rectify it. The health promotion dept at my trust have sent me 20 pedometer for staff and patients who might also be interested. so far 15 people have chosen to use them

I'm using Fitbit One and it may be expensive but for me is so worth it. The competition between friends really helps me go outside and walk. I love the charts and dashboard on the web.
    Btw anyone here with Fitbit who wants new friend?
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost. - Neil Gaiman

My journal
    iHerb.com code LBN037 - $10 off your first purchase

IMHO, Striiv has fraudulent advertising. The Amazon listing very clearly says Made in the U.S. But I discovered that the device itself says Made in China. Maybe we are a Chinese province. Only a matter of time.

BodyBugg, but unfortunately they have lagged behind other products in technology and integration. If I we picking from today's crop of products I would probably go FitBit. If you need to track, it is worth it. If you don't need to track... it isn't. I am very opposed to "quantified health" things that make well people sick*- if you are well you should just LIVE. If you are sick, then one of these products can be great to treat a disease.

See Norton Hadler, The Last Well Person
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com