Thread: visit to dcotor- proved a huge unwanted weight gain! Help!!! page

Aili is offline Senior Member

visit to dcotor- proved a huge unwanted weight gain! Help!!!

Primal Fuel
    I was at the doc today, not having a physical for a long time. I am compelled to write.
    Has anyone NOT weighed themselves for many months, then at the doc's find out that you GAINED weight, not just a pound or two but close to 20 pounds? When you have to admit that no, your clothes were NOT shrinking, and that you need to get off your primal butt and stop this! This happened today. Now, I must say that I am female, have about 40 pounds to lose, work at a desk job in a home office (curriculum development and graphic design in education) and am 61 years old. ALL other aspects of primal foodways continue to be wonderful for me, and I have around me easy access to ALL the right elements for primal/paleo living. I seemingly have no excuse, do I, for still struggling?

I know someone will ask me to say what I am eating and how much I move around.

food- mostly primal -meats (local, organic), vegetables (mostly local organic and organic), water kefir (ginger ale and raspberry mostly, 1 liter per day). Part of primal for me has been dairy. My problem is that I seem to be addicted to it. I have gone through periods where I do not eat cheese or yogurt for several weeks then have a yen for either and it 'calls me' from the fridge.
    I say 'mostly primal' because although not having grains and legumes is easy for me, in my dairy frenzies I have eaten ice cream, sometimes 3-4 days in a row, having about 3/4 cup as a treat in the evening, then not for several weeks. Also, each week, we meet friends for a supper and to reconnect and catch up. For this one meal I have a salad dressing that I don't question its ingredients ( I know cheap oils, etc.), although I try to eat just salad, or meat or seafood and vegetables.
    Most days, other than ice cream and greek yogurt days, my energy intake is around 1200-1600 calories.

Movement
    OK, I can move more, I know. I used to hit the gym a few times a week to use the weights, when I worked in the city (now in the country). Today I joined up again because they have a women's gym and I love being strong. Last weekend, I redid our pond, moving a ton of stone twice. I thought I would be sore, and other than a bit of stiffness the next day only, I've been fine.
    I look forward to not working at a computer these days because I love carpentry and have reno projects underway, and will have holiday time this summer to do that. I garden and will get stuff moved from the greenhouse / light room into the garden this weekend. I walk up and down the stairs because my home office and the only working bathroom are on lowest floor with living space and bedrooms on upper two floors. We do not have high hills around us , so my hubby said we 'built a hill'.
    I made a standing desk but need more space for a mouse, so I use it for looking at PDF documents, several times a day for 5-15 minutes.
    On MDA some time ago I read reference to Esther Gokhale and the 'Gokhale Method'. I read her book and watched YouTube videos re her method of recreating ideal posture. I LOVE it, and remind myself regularly and practice. I highly recommend her to everyone, young and old. She knows her stuff, and you'll just feel better with sometimes simple alignments.

The longest spiel I've ever made!!! What are people's thought? Do others have the similar experiences? or am I just a total weirdo?
    Last edited by Aili; 05-17-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: further comment

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    I've found that my weight creeps up if I eat cheese. I really love cheese, its really easy to over eat it, and it packs a lot of calories. Same thing for me with nuts. If I start eating either my weight will start to go up.

Now ice cream, that's another matter entirely. I've seen my weight jump up if I indulge in some ice cream. Like more than you'd think possible in such a short amount of time.

It's frustrating that I see folks eating this stuff and it doesn't seem to be a problem. But I was super heavy (>300 lbs) so it's real easy for me to put on weight.

My suggestion is to try cutting out dairy for a while and see if that helps.
    Last edited by KestrelSF; 05-18-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I suggest weighing yourself monthly even when you are in maintenance. Just log the details for future reference. It will help avoid unpleasant surprises.

I vow to cut out dairy and nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by KestrelSF View Post
    I've found that my weight creeps up if I eat cheese. I really love cheese, its really easy to over eat it, and it packs a lot of calories. Same thing for me with nuts. If I start eating either my weight will start to go up.

Now ice cream, that's another matter entirely. I've seen my weight jump up if I indulge in some ice cream. Like more than you'd think possible in such a short amount of time.

It's frustrating that I see folks eating this stuff and it doesn't seem to be a problem. But I was super heavy (>300 lbs) so it's real easy for me to put on weight.

My suggestion is to try cutting out dairy for a while and see if that helps.
    Thanks! I will do that. Yesterday I had 1/4 cup macadamia nuts and 2 kernels of brazil nuts (for selenium). I can cut out the nut flours, which, when made into crackers is another addiction-type food.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I suggest weighing yourself monthly even when you are in maintenance. Just log the details for future reference. It will help avoid unpleasant surprises.
    Thanks eKatherine! I shall make myself do this. I have cut out dairy (a few days ago) and nuts (today) and will be completely paleo from now on to get hold of this issue. It is very disturbing to me, especially since inflammation, acid reflux, and carb cravings have disappeared. I used to crave carbs horribly when I ate grains, and have had 0 cravings for 2 years.

I am curious. If you have ANY cheese or nuts, does it affect your weight? I know what you mean about easily eating too much of either. Ice cream must be my biggest culprit, with Greek yogurt a close second. I find it real hard to NOT be at the fridge all the time, just like it used to be when I ate grains. I used to get uncontrollable cravings for carbs like fresh bread, pie, etc. and especially in the evening. If I have any ice cream or yogurt, I get the same type of craving. With nuts, I can easily munch on crackers during an evening with a variety of toppings. This a.m. I feel good because yesterday was totally paleo (lots of vegetables and some baked fish), no dairy and a small helping of nuts. Today and henceforth for a while I will also be nut-free.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I used to eat cheese constantly. I craved it. I would feel it calling to me from inside the refrigerator. I would keep multiple varieties at all times. I bought pounds a week. I used to buy cheddar cheese at Sam's Club in the 5 pound stick.

I would eat it until either it was gone or my stomach felt bad. I was never satisfied by it.

It is surprising that given how much cheese I ate over the years, I didn't end up morbidly obese.

What I ended up finding out is that eating more meat pre-emptively killed my cheese cravings. If I crave cheese now, and I eat a little piece but want more, I eat meat and the feeling goes away.

I also used EFT to help with my cravings. But for me, as far as cheese is concerned, I just needed more protein (even though I was eating meat on a regular basis).

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I used to eat cheese constantly. I craved it. I would feel it calling to me from inside the refrigerator. I would keep multiple varieties at all times. I bought pounds a week. I used to buy cheddar cheese at Sam's Club in the 5 pound stick.

I would eat it until either it was gone or my stomach felt bad. I was never satisfied by it.

It is surprising that given how much cheese I ate over the years, I didn't end up morbidly obese.

What I ended up finding out is that eating more meat pre-emptively killed my cheese cravings. If I crave cheese now, and I eat a little piece but want more, I eat meat and the feeling goes away.

I also used EFT to help with my cravings. But for me, as far as cheese is concerned, I just needed more protein (even though I was eating meat on a regular basis).
    'Tis true for me too....munching away on cheese. It is not real hard to stay away from it, unless it is a tasty old cheddar, brie, and blue cheese, BUT I just read that cheeses like blue cheese likely have wheat. What I do have trouble with BIG TIME is greek yogurt and ice cream....I shall make up, say, small chicken pieces and keep them in the fridge so I'll be able to have that if I feel I must eat something. Thanks!
    Just checked re EFT b/c I did not know what it meant. I'll check further

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are eating all the time. Snacking will almost always lead to weight gain. If you're serious about losing those extra pounds then eat whatever you want 2-3 times a day and eliminate all between meal snacking.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Timber View Post
    Sounds like you are eating all the time. Snacking will almost always lead to weight gain. If you're serious about losing those extra pounds then eat whatever you want 2-3 times a day and eliminate all between meal snacking.
    Thanks of Black Timber. Hmmm, I am not always eating, but I sure do snack too much in the evening these days, so in that sense you are spot on. I cannot eat whatever 2-3 times per day. I did exactly that for months to no avail, and then I began the evening snacking on dairy and nuts for a few days in a row every few weeks. Anyway, I learned that even black, unsweetened coffee can raise insulin levels and that having any food in 5 hour windows keep blood glucose levels churning. So I have decided, as well as the NO snacking, to eat once per day only, and make that one meal fully paleo.