Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fecal transplants page

phigment is offline Senior Member

fecal transplants

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I just watched this on Dr. Oz. I really don't think I would like someone's else fecal matter inserted into me. Supposedly it help replenish the "good" bacter
    ia.

Halima Dances is offline Junior Member
    Actually, this has been discussed at length on my Crohn's Disease forum. It's a super tiny amount diluted in water, and used as an enema. It helps establish healthy gut flora in people who don't have their own, and can really help people with chronic c. difficile infections and such. It's by far not the weirdest thing we Crohnies have done to feel better. Google "helminthic therapy" and prepare to be traumatized

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    It is really no different than any other donated organ, tissue, bone, or fluid (blood products). Without healthy gut flora, we are pretty much screwed, and these infections that the fecal transplant treats are serious and awful.

Halima - I already know what helminthic therapy is... you are right - wait until someone looks THAT one up!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

phigment is offline Senior Member
    I looked it up and for some odd reason that didn't hit my ick radar as much.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    The enema would be ok, but I've read other reports that they sometimes use a nasal tube down through your stomach to get the "good" fecal matter into the upper part of your intestines. I'm sure it is all very sterile and diluted and what not, but I would always be thinking "I just snorted poop". Of course, I tend to find that kind of stuff hilarious, in a very 3rd grade sort of way.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    This really is a remarkable therapy and as an immunologist and a person with autoimmune disease I find it fascinating!! Most of the patients with on-going C.diff infections would do anything to feel better and save their lives.

I was recently at an immunology conference that was 5 days long. Nearly a whole day of it was dedicated to bacteria in the gut and how it impacts human health. Fecal transplants will be coming to a theater near you very, very soon
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Yeah but are there actual clinically prooven results? And of course lets not forget that we cant be curing sick people, that would stop the cash flows.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I was recently at an immunology conference that was 5 days long. Nearly a whole day of it was dedicated to bacteria in the gut and how it impacts human health.
    Hey there, jammies!! You know, I had to laugh at this ^. Not to diss conferences or scientists, because heaven knows I appreciate a lot of their services, but little old lowly me was reading about how gut health is a major (if not THE) foundation of robust health waaaay back at 18 when I discovered the pamphlet and home-published literature section of any health food store I came across. I have always wondered how it seems that crunchy-granola health nuts seem to be at least a decade, if not more, ahead of major modern medicine?
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    Yeah but are there actual clinically prooven results?
    SOMEBODY has to go first, you know, to even collect that data.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Hey there, jammies!! You know, I had to laugh at this ^. Not to diss conferences or scientists, because heaven knows I appreciate a lot of their services, but little old lowly me was reading about how gut health is a major (if not THE) foundation of robust health waaaay back at 18 when I discovered the pamphlet and home-published literature section of any health food store I came across. I have always wondered how it seems that crunchy-granola health nuts seem to be at least a decade, if not more, ahead of major modern medicine?

It is very true - I often am amazed at how dead on the alternative world is about some things. To be fair, I think mainstream science has been hot on the trail of the gut for a long time, but it was hard to get funding and it was very hard to figure out how to identify all the strains of bacteria that live in the gut. Also, understanding how and why it works is probably an important part of using the info wisely.

But when it comes to using probiotics, not avoiding bacteria, eating fermented foods, using fecal transplants, avoiding and not over-using antibiotics there is no doubt mainstream science was WAAAAY behind the ball. Bacteria were bad or at best not harmful. It took a very long time for that pendulum to shift.

For the health of the population as a whole, I am very happy it finally has
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast