Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Candida vs Paleo page

lashes86 is offline Junior Member

Candida vs Paleo

Shop Now
    Hi all!

This is my first time posting so bare with me! I've been suffering from systemic Candida for approximately 2 years now. The first time my Naturopath put me on a cleanse, all my symptoms cleared up. Some of my symptoms included: bloating, gas, acne, eczema, weight gain, dry skin, fatigue... I've been cleansing on and off ever since, however I have still stuck to the diet that was provided to me: no yeast, sugar, vinegar, dairy, etc. Also, might I mention, part of the cleansing phase includes a lot of supplements. I'd like to think I eat pretty well. However, this time around my Candida is being VERY stubborn. I am wondering if maybe I should drop all grains? Currently I eat: oats, rice, quinoa, rye bread (yeast, sugar free). I haven't seen a correlation between eating grains and my bloating/gas. Sometimes I eat veggies and I bloat. I don't know if anyone has experience with Candida or Paleo in general that would help me with this.

Thanks!
    Valerie

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Absolutely, yes, drop the grains.

I have found that the more you "cleanse", the worse it can get. Personally, going more of a Perfect Health Diet route (google it) was the most beneficial. I did tons of supplements and it only got worse after I was done, especially if I slipped up and had even the smallest amount of refined sugar.

If you are experiencing bloat with veggies, you might want to look into low stomach acid. Episode 15 – Dr. Paul Jaminet on chronic infections, depression & more
    What Everybody Ought To Know (But Doesn’t) About Heartburn & GERD
    Supplementing HCL with betaine and digestive enzymes is probably a good idea. It is likely that the route of your problems are "simple": poor digestion, but what exactly is causing that may take some work to figure out. Low stomach acid? Gut permeability?

Lastly, I have heard of people having miraculous recovery by supplementing colostrum powder. Worth a shot, right?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

lashes86 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the reply! But for example I had cookies this AM made with coconut flour, stevia, coconut milk, eggs, and I think that's it..... and I'm bloated like im 6 mo. pregnant!!! I will most definitely check out that website thanks!

I know that I have major digestive issues. I also have problems with constipation. I'm waiting to be referred to a gastroenterologist. They will probably tell me I have IBS or something. I will look in to those supplements for sure. At one point I did take colostrum, I think it's good for the immune system if I can remember correctly?

Thanks,
    Val

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    That's probably from the coconut. Not everyone can tolerate it well. It's also very fibrous and high-fiber can cause bloating.

I had problems with constipation for about 8 months. It's finally getting resolved. Adding back in starches (potatoes and rice) helped a lot, but they don't cause me to bloat (they do for some people). I take a packet of Threelac everyday, which is a strong probiotic. 3g of Colostrum twice a day helped too, but I ran out and couldn't afford more. I'm going to try it with the Threelac now. The other supplement I'm adding in for constipation is Inositol. It's a type of B-vitamin and helps with serotonin absorption, which impacts digestion. My doctor told me to try all of these together (holistic doctor), I have never seen a gastroenterologist.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Zach is offline Banned
    I have yet to see someone rid themselves of candida. Honestly i dont think it can be done and the best course of action is to try to manage it.

Personally i would go on a no residue diet of raw fruit juice, dairy, eggs and a bit of lean meat. The no augar thing is bogus because candida will usually become invasive in search of food. Starch and fiber is what you want to avoid because it feeds bacteria, sugar from fruit and dairy gets absorbed very rapidly and helps maintain a solid metabolism and thyroid which above anything else with help manage digestive issues.

Also getting lots of sun, minerals and exercise.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I have yet to see someone rid themselves of candida. Honestly i dont think it can be done and the best course of action is to try to manage it.

Personally i would go on a no residue diet of raw fruit juice, dairy, eggs and a bit of lean meat. The no augar thing is bogus because candida will usually become invasive in search of food. Starch and fiber is what you want to avoid because it feeds bacteria, sugar from fruit and dairy gets absorbed very rapidly and helps maintain a solid metabolism and thyroid which above anything else with help manage digestive issues.

Also getting lots of sun, minerals and exercise.
    Zach, what about all the sugar in the juice and fruit? If I eat any sugar in any form I can feel an outbreak. I'm suffering at the moment and have given up. Do you have any useful links? I'm at the point where I'll give anything a go.

Also, do you think mushrooms as a fungus cause an outbreak? I have experimented, but I'm so constantly symptomatic that it's hard to tell. I did have some success with eliminating vinegars, which I used to consume daily.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VacillateWildly View Post
    Zach, what about all the sugar in the juice and fruit? If I eat any sugar in any form I can feel an outbreak. I'm suffering at the moment and have given up. Do you have any useful links? I'm at the point where I'll give anything a go.

Also, do you think mushrooms as a fungus cause an outbreak? I have experimented, but I'm so constantly symptomatic that it's hard to tell. I did have some success with eliminating vinegars, which I used to consume daily.
    Are you currently low carb and or dealing with metabolic disorders? The thing about sugar is you need it to survive. Every cell uses it for fuel and your brain demands it. You need it to create thyroid hormone and to keep your metabolism tip top. Getting it from fruit/fruit juice seems to be the safest bet and usually outbreaks only happen when reintroducing sugar after starving it for so long. Many people actually "cure" it with a very high sugar diet like 80-10-10.

I really dont know about mushrooms. I would never eat them and if i had issues with Candida i would certainly steer clear of any other fungus.

patski is offline Senior Member
    I'm here to tell you that much of what most people know about candida is bullshit.

I ate low-carb paleo for a verrrrry long time for fear that I had candida, and it made my health much worse overall. I did the same as you: I gave up ALL sugar, starch, vinegar, mushrooms, you name it...and I was fucking miserable.

I had obvious symptoms (don't need to list them here) for a very short time span and they're now gone. The other symptoms that people describe as candida overlap with adrenal fatigue symptoms. Now adrenal fatigue symptoms also overlap with starvation. Think about that for a second.

Adrenal Fatigue as a Cover for Starvation | Go Kaleo

The other symptoms I had were diagnosed as not having anything to do with candida, like my indigestion issues, which is actually gastritis. I've taken many different types of digestive enzymes and they are only short term fixes. I took HCI and found it irritating as well. Art Ayers at Cooling Inflammation doesn't buy into HCI at all, and neither does Melissa Mcewan at Hunt, Gather, Love. In my experience, it made my gastritis worse. My digestion improved drastically when I started eating more starch. My bowel movements have been the best they've ever been. I've found bromelain to be excellent in digesting protein.

If you've had 'systemic candida' for two years, I think you should fire your naturopathic doctor. Read The Perfect Health Diet and check out the site. Paul Jaminet is a super nice guy and I've emailed him on two occasions. I learned more from him in two emails about candida than I did scouring the entire fucking interwebs for well over two years.

According to Paul (who dealt with and cleared his candida symptoms), candida can thrive on ketones as well as sugar. He's not a fan of low-carb for this very fact, on top of the fact that low-carb stresses gut integrity and can cause food intolerances. WELCOME TO MY LIFE! Oh my god, it's like he read my mind! Eat liver for vitamin A, get vitamin D through sunshine or supps, and be sure to nourish your system. Deficiencies in copper, zinc, iodine, selenium are behind it as well. Eat liver, drink bone broth.

If you bloat from veggies, there is no correlation. Remove them and see how you feel and if your symptoms ease up. Bloating and indigestion are not necessarily as symptom of candida, as I discovered for myself. And for the love of God, quit eating coconut flour products. I've read countless posts from people who've had absolute hell in digesting the stuff. Almond flour is no better.

For the record, I've gone back and started eating EVERYTHING I was apparently intolerant to, and I feel fucking great. What a waste of $500 for a damn IgG test. If I knew then what I know now...
    Last edited by patski; 05-17-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    I had problems with candida when I first became diabetic and my blood sugar was high. Its a yeast and grows in the presence of sugars. If you look at any bread recipe you mix sugar with a liquid and put it somewhere warm and it gives off gas-to candida we are a perfect recipe.
    what works best for me is Fluconazole 2 doses, the 2nd dose 1 week after the 1st. for 14 days after the 1st dose I have natural live yoghurt 3x a day. I mix it with water and drink it. I avoid fruit juice -the sugar spike can be enough to give it a foothold if I'm unwell with anything else. The only time I get a problem with it now is after a course of antibiotics which kill off you natural bacterial flora allowing it to colonise freely.
    by the way, the more sugar you give it the more its going to grow so I'd certainly not go that route, not having lived with the oral,vaginal and anal itch and the bloating and gassy diarrhoea

patski is offline Senior Member
    I have just learned that having too much lactobacilli will also produce vaginal/anal itching.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast