Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Love Primal but No Weight Loss After 2 Mos. page 2

yellowbrickroad369 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Really interesting, Grumpycakes and Shoshanamaria, about ditching CrossFit. Can you explain more why? I really love it and it's the last thing I want to ditch. I'm calling what I'm doing CrossFit although it's not officially. But I work with a trainer twice a week (30 min. sessions) and he has me doing short bursts of cardio (ie, rowing) alternating with sets of heavy lifting (ie, kettlebells, free weights), and other resistance exercises (ie, things with bands, pull-ups, pushups, etc.). I crawl home. I love it. But if I'm understanding you right you're saying this can put enough stress on one's system to keep it from losing the pounds? How does that work?

I agree about the fats - judicious use!

cheers,
    ybr

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbrickroad369 View Post
    I crawl home. I love it.
    No, you don't. What you love is the idea that breaking your body is what leads to results. You've equated pain and progress in your mind. Most people do this. Most people end up abusing their bodies with too much exercise once they are determined to lose weight. Or, more simply, you are high on endorphins after your workouts because your brain is overcompensating for the stress.

Your exercise regimen puts your nervous system in "Oh, shit!" mode. "I don't know what's going on but I might die!" mode. If you were an athlete, your nervous system would be better able to handle it. But you're a regular person. A 47 year old woman. You can't just jump into HIIT plus heavy weights all rolled into one. Sorry to say, but your hormones are against you and if you choose the work-out-like-a-21-year-old-man route it will be a gruelling uphill battle. You need to condition yourself first. Read up on adrenaline and cortisol. Take it easy, walk a lot.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Mine? Probably about 25%.

shoshanamaria is offline Junior Member
    Well I can only speak from my own experience but I think the intense crossfit exercises are too much for your body when your just beginning to get into shape . Your body is so complex - and it is mostly ran by chemicals in your brain responding to stimuli. If you are sending the message that you are in stress by working it too much , then it will respond accordingly. You will probably keep building muscle , but I bet you will sustain your fat as well. It is the body's defense mechanism. from my own personal experience , my weight drops when I'm stress free and consistently moving my body and giving it time to recuperate . Maybe you could try to continue the workouts but drop the level if intensity ? Give yourself adequate rest time as well. Sleep as much as necessary .

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Decrease or eliminate PUFAs (a few eggs per week, not dozens) and use coconut oil as your main fat. Be sure to eat plenty of sugar from fruit and try having gelatin with meat for amino acid balance. Walk a lot and try Pilates- really helps tone the stomach and core.

Quote Originally Posted by shoshanamaria View Post
    Well I can only speak from my own experience but I think the intense crossfit exercises are too much for your body when your just beginning to get into shape . Your body is so complex - and it is mostly ran by chemicals in your brain responding to stimuli. If you are sending the message that you are in stress by working it too much , then it will respond accordingly. You will probably keep building muscle , but I bet you will sustain your fat as well. It is the body's defense mechanism. from my own personal experience , my weight drops when I'm stress free and consistently moving my body and giving it time to recuperate . Maybe you could try to continue the workouts but drop the level if intensity ? Give yourself adequate rest time as well. Sleep as much as necessary .
    I'm sure you're right about that, but as for my particular situation, I don't think it really applies. I may be a newbie to primal living, but not to fitness and exercise. I've been swimming/biking/running for years - weight lifting on and off - and I already have a fairly strong general fitness level. Even my trainer now is impressed with my strength and how quickly I'm making progress. It just might not be the kind of progress in terms of midriff fat cells that I'd like! But bit by bit, I suppose.

All that said, I am trying to get plenty of downtime and rest on the days I don't train - just walk, bike, or an easy swim. Also, thanks Fiercehunter, for the other suggestions.

cheers!
    ybr

glantern620 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbrickroad369 View Post
    Hi all!

I've been eating primal for 2 mos. now and definitely love how it makes me feel, the ease of it, and the fact that I don't feel deprived. I've fallen 'off the wagon' a couple of times here and there but mostly I don't find it hard to stick to. However...I'm frustrated. I've been eating this way, plus working with a trainer doing what is essentially CrossFit 2 x week, plus either biking, sprinting, running or swimming usually 3 other days, for the past 2 months and I've basically lost NO weight!!! (lost 5 lbs. initially, then it came back)

Granted, I do not have a lot to lose. I'm 47, 5'9" and 150 lbs. Except for most of my life, except the past 10 years (before my son was born), I was a stable 135 lbs, which is where I want to get back to. Hell, I'd be happy with a strong 140 at this point.

I know I'm getting stronger, which feels great, and I know muscle weighs more than fat -- but how much more? I've put the scale away and tried not to think about. But my clothes don't fit any differently than they did 2 months ago. And I just can't budget this tire of fat around my waist!! I've scoured some of the other threads on here started by people frustrated by same situation. But I don't have any insurance now so I can't afford a trip to the doc for expensive glucose or thyroid tests. I'm just going to have to figure it out on my own.

So if this resonates with anyone else and you want to compare notes, please give me a shout!

Signed,
    Frustrated in Ohio
    Read this article

http://athlete.io/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Seashel087 is offline Member
    How many calories and carbs are you eating?

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    The main reason we put fat on is to see us through the lean (literally) days when it's too snowy to get out of the cave, or the Caribou haven't arrived yet and the berry season is over, or the men come home empty handed from the hunt. Once you are settled in and comfortable maybe try intermittent fasting - 5:2 plan or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by glantern620 View Post
    Read this article

Why Women Should Not Run

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for the article! I don't need any convincing to give up running. Though I hope swimming 2-3 times a week is considered acceptable because that IS truly pleasurable, for me anyway. But I'll check out that site further.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast