Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel like an oddball as far as your tastes are concerned? page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Do you feel like an oddball as far as your tastes are concerned?

Primal Fuel
    I keep feeling really, really odd, because I seem to be sooo out of touch with what other people like and dislike.

I don't like pasta, any bread but pumpernickel/ryvita, bananas, ginger, lobster, peanut butter, chocolate, bacon, pork, or butter. I find pizza and lasagna nauseating.

I love liver and every vegetable that I have tried with the exception of kale and bitter melons. I love all seafood, all fish, and have a foodgasms on boiled cod. I love pickled and jellied stuff. I love plain boiled potatoes. I love raw green onions dipped in salt.

I guess, my only typical thing is that I do love all fruits and all nuts (save for peanuts).

(Sigh) Weird.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I feel like an oddball for liking things hardly anybody likes, like kidney. Less-popular foods like kimchi, that hardly anybody eats around here. And vegetables most people don't recognize. Jellied stuff, yes!

But I know in my heart that they are the odd ones. It may be typical, but there is nothing normal about being repelled by healthy whole foods. It takes a lifetime of brainwashing.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I keep feeling really, really odd, because I seem to be sooo out of touch with what other people like and dislike.
    You're in touch and they're out of touch. You need to re-define the word "normal" in your mind to its actual meaning, rather than its colloquial use as a synonym for "mainstream." Then realize that you are the normal one, and the mainstream is out of touch with normalcy.

In other words, +1 to eKatherine's post.

Also, peanuts aren't nuts. You probably don't care, but thought I should mention it for anyone else peeking around the forums.

It can be hard work staying brainwashed, too.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    I'm just happy that, at a buffet, all my favourite foods are let be. Liver, haggis, black pudding, grapefruit, full-fat yoghurt, real butter...etc
    Of course, I like a lot of conventional "favourites" too, though, bacon, eggs, bananas, watermelon, fried mushrooms, cream...

Yes, it's a breakfast buffet.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Truly, honestly, seriously - there is no such thing as "normal" when it comes to food. Ask me here at home, and I will tell you there is only "stuff that builds the body" and "stuff that breaks the body down", which is how I started talking about nutrition to my kids. Normal for some is a tarantula egg omelet cooked in the middle of the jungle.

You eat a variety of foods, get enough calories, and seem to feed your kid(s) well (cannot remember how many you have). Additional steps up would be to try to source organic/biodynamic/local/etc, eat peaceful meals with an attitude of gratitude, and waste little. Basta - done. You shouldn't care if your likes and dislikes match anybody else's. The only potential problem I might possibly conjure up is if you were so extremely picky that you couldn't get over offering your disliked, albeit healthy foods to your wee ones, just in case they might like them, and hence feed them a way-too-small grouping of edibles, but I have never gotten that feeling on here.

I hate bananas, too, and always have. My brother hates pork. My Second (daughter) hates chocolate. My Fourth won't touch peanut butter. You would be in good company at my house!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

I think it is a first world affectation to despise lots of healthy foods. It is certainly not a survival characteristic. When famines were common, I seriously doubt that anyone would have decided to skip meals for the next month rather than eat a less prestigious part of the animal.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    From what I understand, organ meats used to be the most prestigious parts of the animal, but somehow it got changed and got eaten less and less... IIRC, the distrust of an unfamiliar food is a beneficial evolutionary treat, protects from poisons.

I do let my folks enjoy any non-processed foods they love. I actually routinely cook pork roast or chops for them and liver or fish (or just open a can) for myself.

I am kindda glad to hear that someone else doesn't like chocolate. Made me think there was something wrong with my womanly ju-ju, lol.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    I'm just happy that, at a buffet, all my favourite foods are let be. Liver, haggis, black pudding, grapefruit, full-fat yoghurt, real butter...etc
    Of course, I like a lot of conventional "favourites" too, though, bacon, eggs, bananas, watermelon, fried mushrooms, cream...

Yes, it's a breakfast buffet.
    Ditto. There's a local Italian place with an amazing brunch of poached eggs, salmon, salad, pickles, imported cheeses, and fruit. My fellow diners ignore it all and build stacks of waffles and toast covered in jam and syrup.

I think my tastes are pretty normal since I enjoy almost all flora and fauna, but I feel alienated when dining. I dislike the current trend where even "upscale" menus are based around fried appetizers, burgers, mini-pizzas, and ravioli. They look so bland and soggy.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    You're also not native to Canada/US (right?), so your tastes are probably very different than those around you. What is "gross" in one society is normal fare in another.

Americans would hardly touch haggis because "eew organs", or balut from the Phillipines because "eew it's a baby chicken egg thing" -- and likewise, there's people in other countries that probably go "eww" to some North american food inventions as well.

It's all relative, don't sweat it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast