Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atkins page

ikaika is offline Senior Member

Atkins

Primal Fuel
    A few weeks ago, I attended a cookout put on by my dad's coworker. He's a sweet guy and was glad to have someone helping him grill, so I grabbed the reins and took over. I wasn't going to eat any of the burgers they were making-- but considered it momentarily because it was when I had just started eating Primal. Eat fatty meat, I remembered. Still, these things were creepy. Greyish geometric discs of meat with things like perferation and edges. You know, not things meat should have. Ever. Beside the discs of meat was a perfectly rectangular block of yellow rubber. Oh, 'american cheese.' I mean, it was worse than 'kraft singles...' this thing was rubber. RUBBER.

Meandering into the kitchen, I saw a plastic bag that the 'meat' had come from. 'Jensens' meat patties, they were, and they clocked in at 380 calories a piece. However, it was what I saw next that truly shocked me. The fat-- no-- under the fat. Yeah, that's right. Under 'trans fat,' these patties proudly proclaimed 2.5 GRAMS of TRANS FAT. In a world where trans fats hide under the label of 'ZERO,' these actually ACKNOWLEDGED HAVING 2.5 GRAMS OF TRANS FAT!
    I didn't even know that was legal!

Back outside, later that night...

An old man with skinny limbs and a gigantic, grotesque belly sat at a table. Dad's coworker asked that I put three patties on for him. I complied, saying nothing, and then the old man shouted that he wanted cheese, more cheese, lots of cheese. "Don't toast him a bun," I was told. "More cheese. 4 slices on each patty," the old man urged. Dad's coworker nodded knowingly. "He's on atkins."

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I actually think that would be CLA and not the bad industrial trans fats, although the cheese and junk beef aren't particularly healthy in their own right.

You raise a good point about the Atkins fallacy. If you're insulin resistance and fat cutting out the carbs is a really good move, but it isn't the grand panacea, only a holistic approach is. So they stop eating carbs and they start losing weight, that's great but as the mantra goes, "you don't lose weight to get healthy, you get healthy to lose weight" and these people don't do healthy things. In fact a lot of the time they end up consuming tons of omega 6 and destroying their ratios, becoming deficient in certain nutrients because they don't make use of the entire animal or put any real thought to the types of food they eat, and like you mentioned they even load up on the trans fats sometimes.

That's why I like Mark. He has a superior health philosophy and isn't some monomaniacal, one-track-minded charlatan. He knows his stuff and he can back it all up.

That and he's man-pretty
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    +5 points for using 'man-pretty'
    +50 points for using 'charlatan'

Stabby's winnin in my book

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I agree about the 'unhealthy' impulse in many Atkins folks. I read lowcarbfriends regularly, and what some of those people eat is SO depressing. And then they complain about being 'stalled,' but they're eating a lot of junky stuff--faux carbs to mimic the real thing. It's no wonder that so many re-gain because they never change their eating but substitute 'low carb' pizza, cheesecake, etc., and I'm sure go right back to the real stuff when they achieve a weight they want--or get fed up and return to 'normal' eating.

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    That was a sad story...How did they get 2.5 grams of trans fat into a beef patty anyway? Seriously?? It's just meat! Or so you would think...

These are the low-carb people that still have heart attacks and die...because they only care about eating "low-carb" and not about eating real food!
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

LeanLioness is offline Junior Member
    I followed Atkins for years, have lost 98 pounds and have kept off about 70 of it.

In the book Dr Akins actually speaks on eating whole, organic and grass fed animals if it is possible to do...............

Most people however, aren't wanting to do those things and they are the ones that are unsuccessful

There is one lady on lowcarbfriends that has lost the weight with Atkins, going to school to become a naturopathic and holistic doctor and she eats nothing but free range chicken and eggs, grass fed beef, tons of veggies, fruit is like dessert to her..............she is a wealth of information. However, people usually make excuses when she tells people what they are eating is not healthy just because it is low carb.

I followed it by the book and was kind of successful. I am trying to push to a new level now!! That is where mark sisson and Primal come into play for me.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Once again, we have the problem of the difference between "Atkins the book," "Atkins the product line," and "what people THINK Atkins actually is." When I was on Atkins, after a while I stopped telling people that's what I was doing, because people have so many ridiculous notions about it.

Nowadays I just tell people I'm a fooditarian. Luckily everyone I know already thinks I'm weird.

mdale2 is offline Member
    Heh, a fooditarian. I like that.

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    I put three patties on for him, then the old man shouted that he wanted cheese, more cheese, lots of cheese. "Don't toast him a bun," I was told. "More cheese. 4 slices on each patty," the old man urged. Dad's coworker nodded knowingly. "He's on Atkins."
    That's a perfect example of people not knowing what Atkins even is. If he had 4 slices of cheese on each of 3 patties, that is 12 oz. of cheese, which is 3 times the daily limit. Also, Atkins teaches not to eat "cheese food", but real cheese.

I followed [Atkins] by the book and was kind of successful. I am trying to push to a new level now!! That is where mark sisson and Primal come into play for me.
    This is me, too.

[People who do Atkins] even load up on the trans fats sometimes.
    If there are people loading up on trans fats, they are doing it against what Atkins teaches. Atkins says 'No Trans Fats."

In the book Dr Atkins actually speaks on eating whole, organic and grass fed animals if it is possible to do. Most people however, aren't wanting to do those things and they are the ones that are unsuccessful.
    I agree. You can't blame Dr. Atkins because some people "doing" Atkins are not willing to do it the right way.

I have also done Atkins, but I like some of the emphases spoken of here. I like the "real" meat and chicken and eggs, etc. I like the no grains. I like the emphasis on fitness.

I don't think Atkins disagrees with anything I am learning here. What I am seeing is that PB takes the whole thing further than Atkins does, which I think is great, and what I want in my life.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    I actually think that would be CLA and not the bad industrial trans fats...
    I seriously doubt that there was 2.5g of CLA in each of the described "Greyish geometric discs" of CW goodness. I'm sure a small amount might be attributable to CLA, but chances are most came from some unholy processed vegetable fat used to bind the patties together and improve their "juiciness". :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast