Thread: Swimming?? page

bride2be is offline Junior Member

Swimming??

Hi all!! I'm kinda new to primal (may 1st)
    For years I haven't exercised so am trying to change that. I'm terrible at going to the gym and hate cardio (glad that's not advised!!) I love to swim and was wondering if that's ok?
    I had been doing 2km in 1hr most days a week but now thinking it may be too cardio, should I just try swim faster and only for 1hr?
    Help

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I have no idea how fast you're going if you do 2 km in one hour (I mean, I do. It's 2km/hr. I just don't know what that looks/feels like in the water), but I think swimming lends itself less to chronic cardio than treadmills or running. If that's a pretty easy pace, you can definitely keep doing it as part of "move frequently at a slow pace." You can also use it for "sprint once in a while" but you'd need to either just do all-out laps interspersed with rest or interspersed with very easy laps. And of course, it can be "Play."

Use it in whatever way's most fun for you (or all of them). Just make sure you're not pushing yourself into the chronic cardio zone for hours every week.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    I think you are fine. I swim as well, a little more than that 3x per week in a masters program (coach + other swimmers).

I always make it a point to stay at the rear of my line and do not push myself beyond what is comfortable, aside from occasional sprints. I know I can go much faster but that gets my heart rate up higher than I want it, so I take the slow and comfortable approach. I love it and I feel great so I know it is a good fit for me.

rusty1257 is offline Junior Member
    Swimming is low impact, so easy on the joints. Once a swimmer has decent technique the heart rate achieved is much lower than running or even biking, unless sprinting.

2Km in an hour is a respectable pace. Swimming speed and effort is really technique driven. If you are comfortable and smooth this may be an easy effort for you. If you are thrashing around and gasping for breath then it can be exhausting.

If you want to keep thing interesting or mix things up try repeats of shorter distances at a bit faster pace with some rest in between. Like 5 100 meter swim with 30 sec rest in between. Or even a ladder set. 1 lap -rest- 2 laps -rest- 3 laps rest- 2 laps -rest- 1 lap or any variation of that sort.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Swimming and all aerobics in water actually different from dryland fitness. It is an ideal exerciser for those trying to lose weight and strengthen muscle with less hypertrophy. Thermic effect of staying in water for prolonged periods of time, moving against resistance and meditative aspect of laps is all good. Turning one of your session a week into a sprint session, and using triathlon fins one of the days, and spending a day just diving a splashing - all of this can make for an enjoyable routine.

I would do that myself, because I consider swimming to be the absolutely best aerobic activity to be paired with heavy lifting, but our pool is very children play oriented, and only have 2 swimming lanes. They are always PACKED. And I hate swimming in the packed lanes
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Keilamarie is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Swimming is great all around work for your body. I would suggest not limiting yourself to "swimming" while you're in the water. I find handstands and what I call mermaid diving (push off with your feet and dive head first down on all fours then pop back up out of the water-kind of like a dolphin) work super. I usually do this after I do some "laps". I swim in a lake so I swim out to the center of the lake, then back, then play/work. Relax and try doing things you would do when you were 12. It's one heck of a super workout!