Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Overtraining, amenorrhea and overall health page 2

  1. #11
    runnermuddergirl's Avatar
    runnermuddergirl is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    16
    Shop Now
    Meghanner I would love to hear the info you get from your gyn and I'm right there with you on it not being selfish to not want to give birth. There are plenty of kids on this earth who could use some amazing adoptive parents. Just cause I have the parts doesn't mean I have an obligation to make a mini me.

  2. #12
    Omni's Avatar
    Omni is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    968
    It's not a question of being selfish or not, each to their own, my partner has a perfectly normal cycle, but she has no inclination to give birth or have children of her own, she loves kids and has a ball with them, she just doesn't have the body clock driver to breed and that's quite fine.

    The point is, being female, like it or lump it, a healthy menstral cycle is a good indicator of overall body health for pre menapausal women, so IMO if you can find a way to return to normal menstral cycles, then this will be a good indicator of health going forward, if you choose to have a baby or not is still your choice, no guilt, no burdens there, just do what you feel is right for you.
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

  3. #13
    Meghanner's Avatar
    Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermuddergirl View Post
    Meghanner I would love to hear the info you get from your gyn and I'm right there with you on it not being selfish to not want to give birth. There are plenty of kids on this earth who could use some amazing adoptive parents. Just cause I have the parts doesn't mean I have an obligation to make a mini me.
    When I get home from the cottage I plan to start a stream in the Journal section talking about my journey through hormonal recovery. Look for it in the next few days and I'll keep you posted! I'm hoping to start a supportive helpful little community of women experiencing the same challenges.

  4. #14
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,334
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermuddergirl View Post
    Sbhikes I used to run way too much when I was way underweight (about 60 miles/ week plus an hour of hiit training 4ish times per week. I've cut back a lot the past few months since I was developing runners knee. Now I do cardio kickboxing and hiit but for too long. Hr is normally at 75 to 85 percent for 60 to 90 min 5 x a week. I know this isn't what is advised but busting my ass like that has been my only sanctuary during a very stressful time in my life. I know it needs to change but I truly do enjoy it.
    Please don't take this the wrong way. But I read this as that you have basically chosen to sacrifice your health so that you won't have to be fat.

    There are probably millions of women just like you walking around. They look really great on the outside and other women feel jealous and wonder why they can't look like that, too. The truth is that they do not know the health impact of looking like that. Meanwhile, those of us who do know the health impact and aren't willing to make that sacrifice have to bear the brunt of the social impact of your decision. We have to live with the consequences that the culture as a whole looks at us healthy yet not so thin people and tsk-tsks us but looks at you with praise and admiration. It's a little unfair that nobody understands what's really going on out there.

    Please don't take that wrong because you're really just caught up in the same vicious thing that the fat girls are caught in, just from the other side. It would take a lot of courage for you to choose to prioritize your health.



    (P.S. without having to endure amenorrhea I never had children and never wanted them.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

  5. #15
    runnermuddergirl's Avatar
    runnermuddergirl is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    When I get home from the cottage I plan to start a stream in the Journal section talking about my journey through hormonal recovery. Look for it in the next few days and I'll keep you posted! I'm hoping to start a supportive helpful little community of women experiencing the same challenges.
    Awesome, that is so wonderful. I look forward to reading it and I'm sure so many women will benefit from it. Thank you!

  6. #16
    StephenHLi's Avatar
    StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Framingham, MA
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    Wow, I honestly don't think your judgement is warranted. Just because a woman chooses not to have her own biological children doesn't mean she is selfish or "irresponsible". Speaking for myself, if my own babies aren't in the cards I'd be happy to adopt of simply give back to the universe with the work that I do helping nourish other families grow & thrive.
    Sometimes a woman's body goes through so much trauma early in life that it can't regain a natural cycle. For me, this may be the case and I honor my body and its constant evolution with compassion and kindness.
    If you were directing your reply to me, I was not accusing her of being irresponsible or selfish. She has her own mind and she can decide for herself what is best for her as long as that decision doesn't harm anyone else directly.

    If she doesn't have any other (extra) responsibilities it makes it easier for her (or any other individual) to decide for herself if she wants to make changes to her workouts in an effort to improve health or prevent possible future health complications down the road.

    I was not referring to the "easier" decision to procreate or not. That is not my business. Any decision on growing a family is up to that person and his or her significant other.

    She asked for thoughts on other possible negative health outcomes in relation to not having monthly cycles. I tried to give my response in a non-biased fashion.

    I apologize for being unclear.

  7. #17
    runnermuddergirl's Avatar
    runnermuddergirl is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way. But I read this as that you have basically chosen to sacrifice your health so that you won't have to be fat.

    There are probably millions of women just like you walking around. They look really great on the outside and other women feel jealous and wonder why they can't look like that, too. The truth is that they do not know the health impact of looking like that. Meanwhile, those of us who do know the health impact and aren't willing to make that sacrifice have to bear the brunt of the social impact of your decision. We have to live with the consequences that the culture as a whole looks at us healthy yet not so thin people and tsk-tsks us but looks at you with praise and admiration. It's a little unfair that nobody understands what's really going on out there.

    Please don't take that wrong because you're really just caught up in the same vicious thing that the fat girls are caught in, just from the other side. It would take a lot of courage for you to choose to prioritize your health.



    (P.S. without having to endure amenorrhea I never had children and never wanted them.)
    First of all, exercising is not just some vain activity I engage in. I grew up playing sports nearly every day of my life through the collegiate level. Working out and running have become my sports alternative since there isn't really a competitive level in what I used to partake in. I need that adrenaline rush and the only way I feel that is to go hard. My "decision" to do this is not to make anyone else feel bad, its something i love to do. Secondly, I said I used to be underweight and still battle with an eating disorder and in no way did society pat me on the back. People thought I had cancer or some other health problem. I gained a lot since then and I'm not trying to get back down to 100 pounds but I want to be at a lean (healthy weight) that I feel good about.
    I can't just choose to be happy at a weight that society thinks I should be at. It sucks that there is a social expectation for women to be thin but it's not my responsibility to be unhappy so that other women aren't judged for being "healthy." Also, I initially started this thread because despite having a loss of a cycle I don't suffer from dry skin, anemia, or sleep problems and i wanted to know if those would happen eventually. When I did get my period I would literally have to stay in bed all day because of severe pain and fainting problems. Having this condition actually helps me feel better. Also, even though I was at an unhealthy weight there are plenty of lean women (think crossfit girls) that are in fact healthy.

  8. #18
    Meghanner's Avatar
    Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    241
    All the power to ya lady! Here's the link to the start of my journal.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread85817.html

  9. #19
    upupandaway's Avatar
    upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    317
    RMGirl, have you read 'Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival'?

    It details why tons of cardio feels so good to stressed people and the long-term health consequences. I don't like the style it's written in, but it's well researched and referenced, so you can read the original papers, if that's your thing.

  10. #20
    runnermuddergirl's Avatar
    runnermuddergirl is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    RMGirl, have you read 'Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival'?

    It details why tons of cardio feels so good to stressed people and the long-term health consequences. I don't like the style it's written in, but it's well researched and referenced, so you can read the original papers, if that's your thing.
    No I haven't read it but ill definitely look into it, thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •