Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bacon Babble -- A Journal page

Bacon Babble -- A Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, I'm going to try this journal thing. I'm not really expecting anyone to read it, but I think it will help me stay on track. I think better on paper anyway, always have. So, let the babble commence!

For background: I started Primal after realizing that my size 12 pants were getting uncomfortably tight. I'm 30 years old and 5'6", and when I started Primal in January I was up to 162 lbs. I'd been going to CrossFit style gyms on a fairly consistent schedule for several years, and I was getting stronger but I didn't look any stronger. I thought my diet was decent -- I didn't drink soda or eat fast food, etc. I had a toasted whole wheat English muffin with Teddy peanut butter at work every morning like a good little CW follower. What the hell was going on? Why was I gaining muffin top instead of muscle definition? It was all so depressing.

I'd already tried and abandoned WW. (I had no patience with the points counting, and I didn't like the emphasis on packaged food.) Paleo/ Primal is big in CrossFit circles, so I started looking into it, and found MDA. I read through the success stories. It all seemed to click. I was wicked excited to see that people had basically cured the same relatively mild but annoying health issues I had -- acne, eczema, seasonal allergies -- with food instead of medications. I loved the whole eat-real-food approach. I bought some of Mark's cookbooks, and of course the actual Primal Blueprint book. I discovered the wonders of coconut oil and Kerrygold butter. I started going home for lunch and making myself bacon and eggs.

I lost 10 lbs that first month. I was absolutely shocked. I started ranting about Primal to anyone who would listen, and I quickly discovered that most people aren't interested. Their responses were usually some variation of, "Oh, that's Atkins -- Atkins doesn't work for me," or "You can eat like that because you do those crazy workouts and you need the protein." Um, thanks, haters. I stuck with it, because I'd never seen or felt results like this before.

I've kept those 10 lbs off, but I still can't seem to crack that 150-lb threshold. I have, however, bought new size-10 work pants (same exact type as my old size 12s, which are now falling off me), and even some size-8 skinny jeans. I can't remember being in single digits since early high school, so that felt awesome.

My one complaint about Primal so far -- besides trying to explain it to people -- is that it makes my body's reactions to food more obvious. I've had bad heartburn after some meals (in the form of stabbing abdominal pain rather than throat burning), but I'm still trying to figure out exactly which ingredients were the problem. Before Primal, my body probably wasn't a fan of those foods, but now it's staging a rebellion. This is the sort of fine-tuning that I'm hoping this journal will help me with.

Whew, well, that's enough for my very first entry. If anyone is actually reading this, hi MDA has been an amazing resource for me thus far, and I'm so glad I found you all.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    This is paleo world, where Bacon is a reigning member of society! How can a Bacon journal go unread! lol Great start!

Paleo Charlie is offline Senior Member
    Well done, Bacon girl!
    I applaud your choices! A very good start indeed! My friends Canio and Gwamma are sure to make a stop here.
    Cheers!
    48, 5'11" - SW 301 (01/08/12) - CW 217.5 (5/14/13) - GW 185 +2.6% this week. -27.7% total. -83.5 lbs. (so far!)

"Today when you mention "barbeque" people will think about throwing a hotdog or a couple burgers on the grill. But if you invite me to a "barbeque" and there's not some sort of slow-smoked meat involved, I'll hope you step on a Lego." - Instructables.com member Javin007

Thanks, everybody!

Today was a pretty standard day food-wise. For breakfast I've been making smoothies with coconut milk or full-fat Greek yogurt and frozen fruit. Mangoes are especially good (like a mango lassi). So good, and so filling, thanks to the fat. Today, I stuck with my smoothie and didn't eat the bagels and donut holes people had brought in. At lunch some of my co-workers had pizza and subs at lunch (part of a Friday takeout tradition), but I had a grilled chicken salad (okay, I also had two fried jalapeno poppers...). The rest of the week, like I said, I go home and make bacon and scrambled eggs for lunch. It might seem weird to non-primal people to have breakfast for lunch, but it's been working out great. Sometimes I add diced veggies or goat cheese to the eggs, or make a quick salad out of roma tomatoes and avocado to go with it. I'm lucky because I have an hour for lunch and I only live 10 minutes from work. I usually eat lunch watching part of a Bones or NCIS rerun, lol. Totally not primal, but it's relaxing. I love me some Agent Booth

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Ha! I am new visitor number three - and you thought you would be left alone here... not with that journal title! Just FWIW, this family has forever done breakfast-for-dinner, dinner-for-breakfast, lunch-at-midnight, whatever we need at the time. You are in such good company here!

And I gotta' ask - why narcolepticjenn?? The narcoleptic part intrigues me.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I had an epileptic um... friend with benefits who had a social worker who was narcoleptic. Both intrigue me. We know so little about the brain. I wonder if in times past, people with both of these "ailments" would maybe have been seen as prophets.

Bacon Babble is an awesome title. Good luck to you!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

I'm not actually narcoleptic... I can just fall asleep really, really easily (in cars... at concerts... etc.) and I am told I'm pretty hard to wake up.

Also, since I put bacon in the title, maybe I should say something about bacon... Today's $0.02: Trader Joe's bacon kinda sucks. It shrinks to half the size when it's cooked. I have tried it twice now... disappointing.

Last night I tried making the espresso-rubbed flank steak from one of Mark's cookbooks. It was a fail, but mostly from operator error. The recipe made a LOT of the rub, so I sliced the meat and then coated it all with the rub. The flavor was just too strong (too bitter). I will make it again, but I'll use less espresso than the recipe calls for (it also uses ancho chile power, which I had to buy) and slice the meat after doing the rub. Ah well.

Having some leftover fresh salsa (onions, tomatoes, peppers, cilantro) in the fridge really helps with my bacon-and-egg lunches. I put a couple spoonfuls of that in with the scrambled eggs... Nomnomnom.

I haven't been very consistent with Primal lately (adding some baked goods here and there, and more beer than I should...) and I still stay at 152 lbs. I don't really have a weight goal, but I'd like to get under 150. I need to get back on the wagon, or I will backslide back over 160 before I know it. *Kicks own ass* Come on, you've got this...

Also, I would love to see the improvements others have seen in their chronic allergy/ skin issues. I finally got my primary care doctor to prescribe the only medication I've ever tried that works on my eczema, which is a steroid tape she'd never heard of. (My last primary hadn't heard of it either, so I had to wait a month for a dermatology appt, and got the script in 5 minutes.) Yeah, I know... steroids are bad... but it's finally getting warm here, and I want to be able to wear cute summer clothes. (I have a few recurring patches, but they're all on my shins/ ankles). I suspect that I could probably fix that with food, but I can't figure out what I need to cut out of my diet. I've had this on and off since middle school. And I still have spring allergies like crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast