Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ketosis, healthy and sustainable? page 2

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguelinileugim View Post
    So ketosis may or may not be healthy, but it is hardly good for me, got it

P.S: A lot of vegetables and an apple every day is enough to stay out of ketosis?
    Sounds like an eating disorder post. Your thin and very young. Eat as much food as you feel hungry for and dont limit macros or food groups. You start dieting now and you could screw your metabolism and hormones up for life and stunt your growth.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    So ketosis may or may not be healthy, but it is hardly good for me, got it

P.S: A lot of vegetables and an apple every day is enough to stay out of ketosis?
    Ketosis is perfectly healthy for the right people and under the right circumstances. It would not be for you, in my opinion.

I would eat more fruits and also healthy starches, like sweet potatoes, plantains, winter squashes, etc. If you are already pretty lean, and you are a young man, you can eat a whole lot of calories. So eat up and enjoy all that primal diet has to offer you. I wouldn't restrict anything if I were in your situation.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    If some of the vegetables are starchy tubers, like potatoes and sweet potatoes.
    Simply a lot of protein or even copious amounts of non-starchy veggies can keep you out of ketosis. It really is a fine line.

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    So, starchy tubers and fruit and everything but grains and legumes? Got it, I'll start adding (raw) potatoes and sweet potatoes to my salads and eat lots of fruits whenever I can, thanks!

P.S: Not a food disorder but metabolism, I've thinned a lot since last year, this whole diet thing has nothing to do with being (even) more thin, ideally I would gain a little muscle. I just don't care about aesthetics.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    And, at 15, you're still growing. You probably need more protein and carbs than someone older who is trying to lose weight.

Eat some of all the Primal approved foods, proteins, starches, veggies and fruits and relax. Enjoy your youth.
    Do as per above comment.
    Eat plenty and dont think much.

Paleobird Guest
    So, starchy tubers and fruit and everything but grains and legumes? Got it, I'll start adding (raw) potatoes and sweet potatoes to my salads and eat lots of fruits whenever I can, thanks!

P.S: Not a food disorder but metabolism, I've thinned a lot since last year, this whole diet thing has nothing to do with being (even) more thin, ideally I would gain a little muscle. I just don't care about aesthetics.
    Why on earth would you want to eat raw potatoes of any kind?

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    About the issue of (raw) potatoes, OK, the "raw is better" rule doesn't apply here, anyway, I think I'll better just eat some more vegetables and fruits instead of tubers

Paleobird Guest
    About the issue of (raw) potatoes, OK, the "raw is better" rule doesn't apply here, anyway, I think I'll better just eat some more vegetables and fruits instead of tubers
    Personally, I don't think there is a "raw is better" rule except in the minds of raw vegans.

Cooking makes everything more bio-available to us. Raw veggies may have impressive stats on vitamins etc. but if all that is bound up in so much cellulose that it goes right through you, you don't get to use all those nutrients.

Cooking also goes a long way toward neutralizing the anti-nutrients found in all plants.

Fruit of course is meant to be eaten raw. It is offered up by the plant complete with tasty sugar to get us to eat it and disperse the seeds. The body of the plant (actually green veggies) don't want to be eaten and so have anti-nutrients to protect themselves. Kind of like chemical warfare.

You, however need to just relax and eat. Don't overthink stuff.

Shotglass is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You, however need to just relax and eat. Don't overthink stuff.
    ^^^^This.
    You're 15 and still developing. Eat a wide variety of real foods while avoiding highly processed "not-quite-food".
    Don't be so concerned about yesterday, or worried about tomorrow, that you forget to enjoy today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12