Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 58 and GOT to make changes!!!! page 2

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i'm off most of my bp meds after 5 weeks and 29lbs lost. first signs i didn't need it -I started getting dizzy when I stood up or leaned forward! I'm losing about1lb a day too - nice innit
    *I still take rampril at a low dose as it conserves potassium
    what other meds does he want to start you on?
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-18-2013 at 06:40 AM.

jawjuhdawg is offline Junior Member
    Well after about a week on the plan, I'm happy with the results. I have lost 5 pounds without really trying. I have not had any grains or sugars and the only dairy is the occasional piece of cheese. I have been working so much I havent even really missed it. Of course at the hospital everyone is making it tough even though no one knows what I'm doing. One night one of the ER docs decided to buy pizza for the whole staff. I just told myself to stay busy and I totally forgot it was in the break room. The next night a nurse went out to get Taco Bell for anybody who wanted it. I declined and again stayed busy and forgot about it. There are always chips, cookies, etc. in the break room so I tried to just stay out of there. It's worked out pretty well. What's interesting to me is that my energy level has really increased and my co workers have noticed. They ask if I ever sit down and I'm asking what's next. haha. 12 hour night shifts can get long but I don't really run out of energy and I also stopped bringing food because I'm not getting hungry. Good stuff. I hope I can keep it going without falling off the wagon.
    Thank you for all your support.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    I Found energy increased +++ and that persists. get yourself a pedometer its excellent re-enforcement at work. I'm in healthcare too.. Its surprising how unfit one can be while working in that environment
    You are doing a great job with the plan btw

leighlu is offline Member
    I hear you. I work in the OR and people almost get upset if you don't eat their food. Stay strong because you are doing great. They all laugh at me, but they are stuffing themselves into their scrubs, not me.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jawjuhdawg View Post
    Well after about a week on the plan, I'm happy with the results. I have lost 5 pounds without really trying. I have not had any grains or sugars and the only dairy is the occasional piece of cheese. I have been working so much I havent even really missed it. Of course at the hospital everyone is making it tough even though no one knows what I'm doing. One night one of the ER docs decided to buy pizza for the whole staff. I just told myself to stay busy and I totally forgot it was in the break room. The next night a nurse went out to get Taco Bell for anybody who wanted it. I declined and again stayed busy and forgot about it. There are always chips, cookies, etc. in the break room so I tried to just stay out of there. It's worked out pretty well. What's interesting to me is that my energy level has really increased and my co workers have noticed. They ask if I ever sit down and I'm asking what's next. haha. 12 hour night shifts can get long but I don't really run out of energy and I also stopped bringing food because I'm not getting hungry. Good stuff. I hope I can keep it going without falling off the wagon.
    Very good work, keep it up.

Off Duty is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jawjuhdawg View Post
    Great work!
    Hang in there, it get's much easier. Especially when as you mentioned, you see the benefits

You might want to consider one of Marks cook books, and find some snacks that you can bring in that are on the program.
    Who knows? You may inadvertently save or change a life of one of your co-workers in the process.

BZM
    BZM is offline Senior Member
    Good work! I was interested in your story because you're already active without doing weird exercise things in the name of weight loss.

Keep with the ... ok folks I need help here. It's not a diet! "Way of life" is a tired cliche. For now I'll stick with "PB Way". Keep with the PB Way and your weight will drop (as you've noticed). Add carbs back in and you'll feel awesome and you'll still lose weight.

I have two friends who are nurses in different hospitals and they have the hardest time staying with it. The break room is their nightmare!

Every once in a while I'll bring in some batch of primal whatever (carnitas is the favorite) and leave it in our breakroom. I think people are dying for healthy eats at work, because the primal stuff disappears VERY quickly. You can be the leader and substitute something "primal awesome" for the pizza and Taco Bell.

One more thing, if you haven't tried it: find a web site or app that helps you track your macro and micronutrients. I used Cron-O-Meter for the first 6 months on the PB Way and found I was always way over on protein and carbs and way under on fat. Cron-O-Meter helped me make different dietary choices (lose the honey-flavored Greek yogurt, waaaa). There are other sites or apps that can do the same thing, find one you like.

ragwort is offline Member
    Hi!

I'm 57 and well into Primal living

... I always have an apple and a small bag of nuts with me just in case I feel tempted by stuff in the staff room ... makes you feel really good that you have an alternative strategy. I haven't often had recourse to them but it is like a safety net ... I never need to worry if I'm suddenly v hungry somewhere I can't control the quality of food. Just an idea?

Well done so far and keep it up!!

Off Duty is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BZM View Post
    ...It's not a diet! "Way of life" is a tired cliche. For now I'll stick with "PB Way"...
    BZM- I'm a little confused.

While I will agree that it's easier to say the "the PB" or "Primal" way, depending on the listener, it may turn some away before they have a chance to fully understandP

While it may seem "cliché", I certainly wouldn't consider it "tired" or incorrect.
    Primal living is certainly a lifestyle, and is definitely going to be a change for almost anyone.

Most people look at anything outside the "normal" way of eating/living as a "diet" or "fad."
    I've also found that whenever I mention the Paleo "diet" or "Primal Blueprint", the vast majority immediately respond with "oh, yeah, like the Atkins Diet" and that's where the understanding ends.

By explaining from the beginning that this is a change in lifestyle and the way one looks at food and exercise, the listeners understanding and interest in the subject is peaked, and not necessarily jaundiced by preconceived notions.

I always make sure to give them the PB or MDA site information or ask them to "Google it."

"DAWG"- Great work. Hang in there and keep up the good work.
    Check out FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal to track your intake.
    It's free and you can customize the foods to meet your needs.

I used it for the first 2 months until I finally "broke the code" and found what worked to hit the numbers I wanted.
    As soon as I did, I stopped using it.
    One of the nice things about the PB way of life, is not having to fret about "numbers"

jawjuhdawg is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BZM View Post
    Good work! I was interested in your story because you're already active without doing weird exercise things in the name of weight loss.

Keep with the ... ok folks I need help here. It's not a diet! "Way of life" is a tired cliche. For now I'll stick with "PB Way". Keep with the PB Way and your weight will drop (as you've noticed). Add carbs back in and you'll feel awesome and you'll still lose weight.

I have two friends who are nurses in different hospitals and they have the hardest time staying with it. The break room is their nightmare!

Every once in a while I'll bring in some batch of primal whatever (carnitas is the favorite) and leave it in our breakroom. I think people are dying for healthy eats at work, because the primal stuff disappears VERY quickly. You can be the leader and substitute something "primal awesome" for the pizza and Taco Bell.

One more thing, if you haven't tried it: find a web site or app that helps you track your macro and micronutrients. I used Cron-O-Meter for the first 6 months on the PB Way and found I was always way over on protein and carbs and way under on fat. Cron-O-Meter helped me make different dietary choices (lose the honey-flavored Greek yogurt, waaaa). There are other sites or apps that can do the same thing, find one you like.
    Thanks. Just looked at Lose it on my phone and it tracks macros so I'll give that a try. I like your idea of planting healthy food in the breakroom.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast