Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Lifting and calories/macros page

ErinF is offline Senior Member

Heavy Lifting and calories/macros

Primal Fuel
    I'll try to keep it simple. I want to build muscle now that I'm at a normal weight. I am doing NerdFitness barbell training 5x5 three days a week and very light jogging on the treadmill 3x a week. According to my TDEE I need 2200 calories. Right now I eat about 1600 calories.

2200 calories is a TON of food for me and I'm a bit overwhelmed. If I eat 1g protein per lb of lean body mass it equals out to roughly 100g or 400 calories, 100g carbs takes up another 400 calories...so that leaves 1400 calories for fat? O.o I can't be doing this right.
    Last edited by ErinF; 05-16-2013 at 05:36 PM.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    If you're wanting to gain muscle, shouldn't you be eating at surplus calorie levels and expect to gain weight as you train and recover?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Eat enough protein, and eat when you're hungry.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to be eating. I would think if I ate at a surpluses if gain fat along with the muscle, so I'm trying to stay at maintenance calories to avoid gaining extra fat.

You've been on the site for a year and a half. If you don't remember which foods are okay and which are not, review the resources. Then set yourself a calorie goal and play with setting up menus to achieve that goal. After a few weeks you will see if you are on the right track.

I've been trying to lose weight and haven't really looked into what it takes to build muscle for that year and a half. I can't remember every bit of what I've read. I know what foods to eat and what to stay away from, that isn't my problem. What I'm having a hard time with is figuring out the right macros so that I'm able to actually build muscle rather than just maintain the weight loss. I know I can maintain my current body at 1600 calories, but I'd like to have some muscle tone and a lower body fat % and I'm hoping lifting heavy can help with that. I'm finding that I'm not leaning up at all with my current ratios and am just looking for some help.

If you are eating enough protein and doing enough heavy lifting to stimulate muscle growth, provided you are not in a calorie deficit, then your muscles will grow. It's up to you how much carbs vs fat you choose to eat.

Try increasing your energy calories by 200 calories a day for 2 weeks. If you lose weight, increase your calories. You could choose to eat more protein if you crave meat.

Ok I'll see how that goes. Thanks.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pace2race View Post
    If you're wanting to gain muscle, shouldn't you be eating at surplus calorie levels and expect to gain weight as you train and recover?
    This. You need way more protein and way more food in general. If you want to be low calorie or low carb, do it on your rest days. What are your current lifts?

I'm embarrassed to say as I've just barely started. I'm doing 50 lbs deadlifts, body weight pull-ups and negatives, body weight squats because my form needs improving and 50 lbs push press. I do think I need to increase my weight because while I'm a little tired after a workout I could probably still do another 5x5 a few hours later. I'm still pretty new at barbell training...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast