Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Lifting and calories/macros page 3

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    What the workouts burn is negligible compared to what's burned in the roughly 24-hour period after the workout ends.
    I was doing HIIT workouts prior to CF. Would a 25 minute interval (things like row sprints, box jumps, KB swings) have a similar effect to a heavy workout of squats, deadlifts and lunges with no cardio?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I was doing HIIT workouts prior to CF. Would a 25 minute interval (things like row sprints, box jumps, KB swings) have a similar effect to a heavy workout of squats, deadlifts and lunges with no cardio?
    Do you mean a similar effect calorically? I don't know. Both would certainly result in increased metabolic rate for long after the workout, but to compare the two is definitely beyond me, and with the current state of exercise science, I'd guess beyond anyone to make more than an educated guess.

CNS-wise, I'd posit that the effects are different, but both desireable.

Programming-wise, I prefer measurable, progressive loading over random, every-day all-out metcon style efforts for the reasons elucidated here

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I read a study a while back where the researchers decided that the afterburn effect does not apply for women. The calories burned were burned during the workout, not afterwards.

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    Wow thanks for all of the responses. This is such a tremendous help to me!

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I read a study a while back where the researchers decided that the afterburn effect does not apply for women. The calories burned were burned during the workout, not afterwards.
    I call B.S. Not on you, but I'll bet the study design left much to be desired, as do most studies in this realm. Do you have a link by any chance?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm... if that's the case, then I guess women should not increase calories like men do. Another sucky side to having a *^&^&*^ uterus.

Seriously, running a marathon made me fatter, and what, now going and riding my horse for an hour has the same, if not more, fat burning properties as doing a hard CF session.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I call B.S. Not on you, but I'll bet the study design left much to be desired, as do most studies in this realm. Do you have a link by any chance?
    Sorry. Perhaps it had to to with the fact that the women in the study hadn't added lots of muscle (as guys can do). The women in the study were older, which might have been a factor. At the time I was looking for information to help me set a body fat target goal, something I found zero information on.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Sorry. Perhaps it had to to with the fact that the women in the study hadn't added lots of muscle (as guys can do). The women in the study were older, which might have been a factor. At the time I was looking for information to help me set a body fat target goal, something I found zero information on.
    But we don't know what protocol were they following. All "resistance training" is not created equal, and most of the protocols used in these types of studies are, to be frank, B.S.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Erin, what works for me is to eat meat, vegetables and/or sweet potatoes at each meal. No calorie or gram counting.

- The meat is about the size of the palm of my hand minus the fingers.
    - The vegetables are unlimited but I don't always have vegetables.
    - The sweet potato is either a small one or a large one depending on how hungry I am.
    - Fat is used for cooking but not otherwise added.
    - I might add mango salsa or something for seasoning.

I eat this way almost every meal. This allows me to make progress on my lifts.

- I've gone from bench pressing 30lbs to 75.
    - I've gone from squatting the empty bar to 125lbs was the most but I've dropped it back down and am working up again.
    - I've gone from pressing 25lbs to 55.
    - I've gone from deadlifting the empty bar to 165 was the most but I've dropped it back down and am working my way up.

I've also started doing snatches and clean and jerks but I suck royally at them and can't say I've actually done one yet. The best thing is I feel a spring in my step, I feel like I eat tons, my weight is stable and I look better than I did before.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    But we don't know what protocol were they following. All "resistance training" is not created equal, and most of the protocols used in these types of studies are, to be frank, B.S.
    Any examples on such a B.S. strength protocol Rich? Could have been funny to see whether it's possible to make gains even on a completley retarded protocol...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast