Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Heavy Lifting and calories/macros page 2

  1. #11
    The Rebooted Body's Avatar
    The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    182
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinF View Post
    I'll try to keep it simple. I want to build muscle now that I'm at a normal weight. I am doing NerdFitness barbell training 5x5 three days a week and very light jogging on the treadmill 3x a week. According to my TDEE I need 2200 calories. Right now I eat about 1600 calories.

    2200 calories is a TON of food for me and I'm a bit overwhelmed. If I eat 1g protein per lb of lean body mass it equals out to roughly 100g or 400 calories, 100g carbs takes up another 400 calories...so that leaves 1400 calories for fat? O.o I can't be doing this right.
    The jogging is counterproductive to the goal of gaining muscle.

  2. #12
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,868
    You can't really properly gain muscle mass and NOT gain fat at the same time. This is why body builders alternate "bulking" and "cutting" phases in their workout/diet plans. Usually "bulking" means lots of calories, protein favored, above BMR and lots of lifting heavy things. Cardio is avoided like the plague in the bulking phase as it actually is counterproductive.

    Then, the cutting phase. Lifting is continued, though it may be dialed back a little, calories are usually around BMR, and protein is maintenance level, not more. This is when you typically do the cardio a bit to help the loss.

    Bulking is for building muscle mass. Cutting is for increasing muscle definition.

  3. #13
    fillyone's Avatar
    fillyone is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinF View Post
    I'm embarrassed to say as I've just barely started. I'm doing 50 lbs deadlifts, body weight pull-ups and negatives, body weight squats because my form needs improving and 50 lbs push press. I do think I need to increase my weight because while I'm a little tired after a workout I could probably still do another 5x5 a few hours later. I'm still pretty new at barbell training...
    Body weight pull-ups? That rocks!!
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

    "Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

  4. #14
    ErinF's Avatar
    ErinF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    268
    Ok no more jogging. I hate jogging anyway. What about sprinting once a week?

  5. #15
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinF View Post
    Ok no more jogging. I hate jogging anyway. What about sprinting once a week?
    Approved. Also, walking.

  6. #16
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,729
    For 100g protein (400cals) you should easily get 100g fat (900 cals) without even considering exogenous fat sources. Just choose the good fatty cuts of meat. So with 100g (400cals) of suga that brings youto 1700. Meh, another five hundred is easy to find. Handful of nuts or two would be great. Get you some good minerals.

    BTW you don't "have" to crank up your calories to gain some muscle if your a bit untrained. Just add the training in and eat till satiated. Your body will let you know when it needs more energy input to build.... trust me.

  7. #17
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinF View Post
    I'm embarrassed to say as I've just barely started. I'm doing 50 lbs deadlifts, body weight pull-ups and negatives, body weight squats because my form needs improving and 50 lbs push press. I do think I need to increase my weight because while I'm a little tired after a workout I could probably still do another 5x5 a few hours later. I'm still pretty new at barbell training...
    Agree with Neckhammer (as usual) that these levels of lifting don't require a huge calorie surplus to support. But you'll get there. Add weight to the bar every workout. When you need the extra food, you'll get a memo from your tummy.

    Don't be embarrassed for a second. You're at an enviable point in your progress (the novice phase) where you will see rapid gains in strength. And you're way ahead of where you'd be if you weren't lifting.

  8. #18
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,893
    I feel in the same boat. Started lifting more thru CrossFit, a lot of heavy lifting, less cardio and it is hard to figure out what to eat. I have had success really focusing on protein and then letting my body decide on fat or carbs to round out the plate. It's also hard to figure out calorie consumption as I have no idea what the worksouts burn. The other day we did 1 rep maxes on 3 lifts.... I'm sure that means not a lot burned, but then weds we did 20 minutes of burpees and kettlebell swings... Add in that in hot weather my appetite gets wonky.

    So my strategy right now is to eat at 1600-1800 which is about maintenance for me if sedentary and seems to be the right mix of satiety and energy and kind of listen to me body about needing fat or protein heavy meals. I have trouble eating enough protein at times (I aim for 120 grams a day), so have whey protein smoothies more often than I would like.

    By the way *awesome* that you are doing pull ups!!!! It's funny- everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. I love doing squats and deadlifts but can't do a pull up yet.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  9. #19
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I feel in the same boat. Started lifting more thru CrossFit, a lot of heavy lifting, less cardio and it is hard to figure out what to eat. I have had success really focusing on protein and then letting my body decide on fat or carbs to round out the plate. It's also hard to figure out calorie consumption as I have no idea what the worksouts burn. The other day we did 1 rep maxes on 3 lifts.... I'm sure that means not a lot burned, but then weds we did 20 minutes of burpees and kettlebell swings... Add in that in hot weather my appetite gets wonky.

    So my strategy right now is to eat at 1600-1800 which is about maintenance for me if sedentary and seems to be the right mix of satiety and energy and kind of listen to me body about needing fat or protein heavy meals. I have trouble eating enough protein at times (I aim for 120 grams a day), so have whey protein smoothies more often than I would like.

    By the way *awesome* that you are doing pull ups!!!! It's funny- everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. I love doing squats and deadlifts but can't do a pull up yet.
    What the workouts burn is negligible compared to what's burned in the roughly 24-hour period after the workout ends. And you'll never come up with a reasonably reliable figure by modern methods. Muscle Protein Synthesis, just to name one factor, is very energy-intensive.

  10. #20
    chima_p's Avatar
    chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    489
    Competitive bodybuilders bulk to put on as much muscle as possible in as short a time as possible. Noncompetitive bodybuilders do this because they follow the dogma of broscience. Since you are not in a race to put on muscle you can cycle your calories so you don't gain fat while putting on lean weight. This will also work if you want to lose more fat as well. Eat more calories on lift and sprint days, including higher carbs if you want. On "rest" days eat less.

    So if you want to gain lean mass without increasing body fat eat maintenance cal on rest days and then more on workout days. How much more is individual depending on how easily you put on fat. If you want to lean out and at least maintain lean mass the eat at maintenance on work out days and less on rest days. You could even IF every now and again.

    This way you won't be chronically over or under fed.



    Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •