Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with finding balance between gaining lean mass and carb reduction page

EMC67 is offline Junior Member

Need help with finding balance between gaining lean mass and carb reduction

Primal Fuel
    Hi Guys!
    I am a converted primal life guy. in 4 short weeks I have realized the fat reduction i have wanted to rip abs, and see the weight i wanted to maintain so easy. That said, I now want to find the right balance to put on weight thru exercise and eating the proper way without rebounding into a gut that is typical from the "Gaining" process. I am so thrilled to see that primal is the ultimate way to stay fit, keep lean and live healthy. Just this last year I have gone from 228 to 180 - the last 8 pounds came from primal and was the easiest 8 pounds of all.

Anyway, is there a base formula that when gaining I should have x-protein, x-fat and of course carbs to sustain some energy levels. I found my self in the third week with a little flat in energy during heavy sets, and all the while I have maintained to lose weight every week. Not sure where to turn up the carb levels a bit or just start boosting the proteins and fats and get more heavy on weight training. I am 45 and now in the best shape of my life and want to continue to live primal and grow!

I love everything about the primal living and love the cookbooks. I have never seen results so good with short cardio bursts, heavy lifting and body weight exercises - it is awesome.

Any insight to gain lean mass based on a better / general formula would be great.

Thanks

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You are over-analyzing it. Eat what you want when you want it. Eat plenty of meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, and give yourself carbs like potatoes, sweet potatoes, or rice when you feel the need.

Sounds good. I am eating a lot more than I had, and was just hoping how to better "gain" weight effectively. If thats the case - I will turn up the volume! Thanks for the reply!!

Eric

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    If you're losing energy, you may need more carbs, especially after intense training. In the book It Starts With Food, they talk about how much to have after different level of workouts...and I know Mark has posted on workout recovery, carb re-feeds, etc. Maybe you just need a once-a-week or so infusion of sweet potatoes/more fruits and veggies to maintain the energy. And then keep around 1g protein per pound of lean body mass if you're looking to gain muscle.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    paleo/primal isn't low carb. eat some potatoes and rice. you'll feel the difference in your workouts almost immediately.

a lot of people will tell you a lot of different things when it comes to gaining. but the hard fact is that you need a caloric surplus. and with a caloric surplus comes some bodyfat gain. you can minimize the surplus to a couple hundred calories a day. this will minimize fat gain. but it will also slow down the muscle gain as well. you can experiment with some calorie cycling in order to maximize the muscle growth and minimize the fat gain. that seems to be somewhat effective
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Gaining

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    paleo/primal isn't low carb. eat some potatoes and rice. you'll feel the difference in your workouts almost immediately.

a lot of people will tell you a lot of different things when it comes to gaining. but the hard fact is that you need a caloric surplus. and with a caloric surplus comes some bodyfat gain. you can minimize the surplus to a couple hundred calories a day. this will minimize fat gain. but it will also slow down the muscle gain as well. you can experiment with some calorie cycling in order to maximize the muscle growth and minimize the fat gain. that seems to be somewhat effective
    Sounds Good. Since I have spent so much time really seeking results and seeing results in lean muscle - I just didnt want to see the pendulum swing to fast or hard in the opposite direction when wanting to gain some size back. Going from 200 to 180, seeing ripped definition but feeling so small as compared to the round muscle I used to have.

So to make sure - to gain the level of protein should be held at least at 1g per body weight? So 180g for a 180 pound person. more if more size, or just more balanced food to feed larger muscle response?

Thanks guys!

E

Quote Originally Posted by EMC67 View Post
    Sounds Good. Since I have spent so much time really seeking results and seeing results in lean muscle - I just didnt want to see the pendulum swing to fast or hard in the opposite direction when wanting to gain some size back. Going from 200 to 180, seeing ripped definition but feeling so small as compared to the round muscle I used to have.

So to make sure - to gain the level of protein should be held at least at 1g per body weight? So 180g for a 180 pound person. more if more size, or just more balanced food to feed larger muscle response?

Thanks guys!

E
    i'd say yes. other people might say something different. i would aim for 1g to 1.5g per lb of bodyweight in order to gain. and probably the same for carbs. fill in the rest with fat. that's just me though. you might hear different opinions from other people. things obviously change up when calorie and/or macro cycling. but the protein should remain constant no matter what
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    No, it's around 1g protein per pound of lean body mass, not per pound of body weight. Estimate you bodyfat percentage if you don't know it and subtract it from your body weight and that's LBM. me, I'm 177 and probably about 17% BF, so about 30lb fat, 147lb LBM, and I shoot for around 100g protein per day. If I calculated it on body weight (177 to 200+g protein per day?!) I'd be way overdoing protein which is problematic and wasteful. Hope you see this, and please read Sisson or other authorities on the topic before trying to overload protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B-D View Post
    No, it's around 1g protein per pound of lean body mass, not per pound of body weight. Estimate you bodyfat percentage if you don't know it and subtract it from your body weight and that's LBM. me, I'm 177 and probably about 17% BF, so about 30lb fat, 147lb LBM, and I shoot for around 100g protein per day. If I calculated it on body weight (177 to 200+g protein per day?!) I'd be way overdoing protein which is problematic and wasteful. Hope you see this, and please read Sisson or other authorities on the topic before trying to overload protein.
    sisson isn't exactly an authority on the subject. what you do may work for you. congrats. but it isn't the best formula for muscle growth. when you're trying to remain anabolic and grow muscle tissue, you need to do whatever it takes to stay in the anabolic state and provide the building blocks that your damaged muscles need. 1g per lb of bodyweight is a good start for that. people may even need more.

question, if you only eat 100g of protein daily, what do you eat? that's only 400 calories. you must eat a ton of fat and carbs to make your caloric requirements. one might argue that you are "overloading" on fat or even carbs. neither of which are necessary in high doses at all

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B-D View Post
    Apart from theoretical considerations, what problems does this cause you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast