Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefighter Fitness page

Clymb is offline Senior Member

Firefighter Fitness

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone,

So I just got my EMT and am looking to move forward to become a medic and try and join the fire dept. You have to take the fitness for firefighters classes, but I'm hoping to get in shape before starting the class. Any particular workouts I should try? I'm a rock climber and I also hike and lift a bit, but that's about it lately. If it matters, I'm female, about 5'7 and 130 pounds (not 100% sure, something like that). Thanks!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I suggest seeing if you can get ahold of the course synopsis or curriculum so you can see what their priorities are.

All the fitness classes say are:

FSC130: Fitness for Firefighters
    Skills and abilities required for entry level position in the fire service including physical ability and stamina. Opportunity to take the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) at the end of the course.

and

FSC134: Fitness and Conditioning for Firefighters

Overview of all aspects of fitness for current and prospective firefighters. Includes physical and mental aspects of performance for optimal achievement on fire department agility tests and fire fighting tasks; individual conditioning strategies, nutritional guidelines, protective clothing concepts, and basic exercise principles. Pre-employment, evaluation, and lifelong fitness and conditioning.

Was just hoping that maybe there were some firefighters on here who would have a primal view of how to go about it.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I can almost guarantee you'll have to carry something heavy, drag something heavy, and run up stairs wearing something heavy.

I would do a couple of days of powerlifting with heavy weights per week, at least a day of heavy sandbag training, and sprints. I'd also do a lot of low-level "cardio" like walking or some jogging.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I asked my lil' bro about what he did at the Fire Academy (West Metro - Denver) and he said it was all bodyweight/calisthenics type of stuff. Yes, you have to carry hoses and people, eventually, but just to get in shape for what they will put you through you don't actually have to do those things (if you don't want).

Fitness 666 has a good grasp on what to do and how to do it. Plus it's free. I would suggest looking at that and seeing what you think.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Interesting, I wouldn't have expected as much bodyweight stuff. Another thread is talking about intense power yoga versus weightlifting, would that maybe be more beneficial then? I was just thinking of intense lifting workouts, didn't think of the bodyweight stuff so much.

Cave Bird is offline Member
    Hey Clymb, congrats on getting your EMT. I work in fire service (not as a firefighter, but in Admin), and my husband is an instructor at a fire academy. it seems where females have the hardest time is lifting ladders. Hose packs are no picnic either. Definitely get into the power lifting. Make yourself as strong as possible! Firefighting is extremely physical and competitive. As a female in a male oriented field, you'll have to prove yourself even more than the guys do. You sound like you're on the right track, just up your weight lifting. Also start wearing a heavy pack when you hike. Train HARD, you can do it, and you'll be in the best shape of your life

Cave Bird is offline Member
    One more thing, my hubby told me that when they have to fail a female, its usually because she couldnt throw the ladder. They are super heavy. So keep that in mind, there is a lot more bodyweight stuff than you would think. Power yoga wouldnt hurt, but you need to build up your upper body. Your rock climbing is good for that too. This field is so competitive, you have to be the absolute best to get hired by an agency. you go girl, im rooting for ya!

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks, Cave Bird! Good info to know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast