Thread: raw nuts are bad, veggies are better cooked?- some stuff from the alternative-teeth page

efficiency is offline Member

Exclamation raw nuts are bad, veggies are better cooked?- some stuff from the alternative-teeth

Hi there,

i don't know if this is totally appropriate, but i found something in the posts about teeth here.
    There seems a consensus there to not take conventional toothpaste but other things (eg salt or toothsoap(.com)).

There were also other links shared, one to a alternative-tooth-guy/guru named rami nagel. Never heard of him, but it seemed interesting, he also bases his stuff on native-cultures - i find this simillar to looking at hunter-gatherers.

http://www.cheeseslave.com/2010/01/2...th-rami-nagel/

my summary of the content (in brackets direct quotes):
    good for teeth:
    - oils (study in New Zealand where they took two groups of girls and gave them the exact same diet, only one group they gave cod liver oil. The group getting the cod liver oil had a 40% reduction in cavities)

bad for teeth:
    - Anti-nutrients such as phytic acid or oxalic acid are found in raw seeds, beans, nuts, grains and vegetables

- reduce the anti-nutrients by cooking them, even vegetables (just 25 mg of phytic acid will block 50% of your iron intake. Phytic acid also blocks zinc, copper and other minerals.)

- "the more grains, nuts and seeds you eat, the more careful you have to be. He also said that you need the enzyme, phytase, in order to take out phytate. Nuts, beans and seeds have little or no phytase. Oats, as well, have no phytase. This is why it is recommended to add a little freshly ground whole wheat flour to oats when soaking overnight. You must have phytase in order to break down phytates."

- nuts and seeds: Raw nuts are very bad and full of toxic anti-nutrients. Rami said that even cooked nuts will cause seizures in dogs.

- grains are very bad
    "This is why the Swiss always ate their rye bread with dairy. He stressed that in particular, fermented dairy is especially good — like cheese or yogurt. I suppose that would also include cultured butter and cultured cream, or crème fraiche."

- Rami said that people eating traditional diets around the world go to great lengths to properly germinate, sprout, soak, and ferment their nuts, grains, legumes and seeds. He said people in China eat a soured rice, and they make noodles that are soured and very easy to digest.

- chocolate: chocolate is very high in phytic acid. Chocolate is made from the cocoa bean — it’s a bean seed! (We call it a bean but it is a seed.) Again, seeds are the worst. Raw chocolate is very high in oxalic acid and leaches calcium from the body.

My (not so knowing) Conclusion:
    - rami excludes even more that primal blueprint (?) - nuts are not good? only prepare them first somehow? And cooked vegetables are better than raw?

http://www.cheeseslave.com/2009/04/0...cay-with-food/

- "Drs. Mellanby set out to see if they could use their dietary principles to cure tooth decay that was already established. They divided 62 children with cavities into three different diet groups for 6 months. Group 1 ate their normal diet plus oatmeal (rich in phytic acid). Group 2 ate their normal diet plus vitamin D. Group 3 ate a grain-free diet and took vitamin D."
    -> nice graph there, showing diet1 destroying teeth, diet 2 much better - healing teeth, and diet 3 slightly better than diet 2
    -> "Grains are the main source of phytic acid in the modern diet"

- "Optimal tooth and bone formation occurs only on a diet that is sufficient in minerals, fat-soluble vitamins, and low in phytic acid. Phytic acid is found within the hulls of nuts, seeds, and grains. In-home food preparation techniques can reduce the phytic acid in all of these foods. Simply cooking the food will reduce the phytic acid to some degree. More effective methods are soaking in an acid medium, lactic acid fermentation, and sprouting."

- "Grains, nuts, seeds and legumes must be soaked for a minimum of several hours and up to a few weeks (depending on the food) in an acid medium (such as kefir, buttermilk, whey, lemon, or vinegar). You can sprout whole grains and then grind into flour, buy sprouted flour, and/or use a sourdough starter (visit my resources page for sources of sprouted flourand sourdough starters). Nuts and seeds can be soaked/sprouted and dried."

- avoid soy and peanut butter

- fats are good
    "native people who had little to no tooth decay were consuming ten times the amount of fat soluble vitamins than people in his day (this was in the 1920s and ’30s, when people ate substantially more animal fat, lard and butter

ME:
    - i am thinking about nuts - one should put them into buttermilk and leave it like a day to get the physic acid away? And cook vegetables?

greeets!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Nice presentation, thank you for that.

I agree with most of that. Grains, legumes, and nuts are best avoided or limited, even soaking and cooking doesn't remove everything, and cooking nuts causes the polyunsaturated fats to oxidize. Nuts don't provide very good protection against heat. With regards to phytates and oxalates, many of them are already occupied by a mineral in the food so something like kale, while most of its calcium content is going to be unusable (less if cooked but it's not anywhere close to perfect), but they aren't going to leach minerals in other foods eaten at the same time. Grains which are generally low in nutrients and high in phytates would be much more of a problem than watery vegetables which are much less offensive. So I wouldn't sweat raw vegetables but the evidence I've seen seems to point towards cooking them being a good move to maximize nutrient absorption, decrease digestive stress, and radically improve antioxidant content (x6 in tomatoes, x4 in carrots from what I've seen).
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    That is why I am carnivore.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    You are truly a carnivore?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds alot like the findings of Dr. Price of WAPF fame--soaked nuts/grains and the like. I was following Nourishing Traditions for quite a few years, until I was unable to keep my BS under control with all the grains, even soaked, so when I found PB, if really felt like I had found the answer.

I do soak the nuts I eat for about 8-12 hours in salted water to deactivate the phytate and then dry them slowly over night in a 180 degree oven. Fermented foods are good for you as well.
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165