Thread: Just made some french toast strips that were amazing! page

pollo_la is offline Member

Just made some french toast strips that were amazing!

Primal Fuel
    These have just a little bit of maple sweetness, and have a very nice "French toast" texture. Obviously these do have carbs. In our house that is not too much of an issue, as we have lots of young, growing kids, and no weight issues. However, these would still be great for a carb fueling day or as a special treat every now and then. Maybe a couple strips along side an omelet?

I made the bread for the strips the night before...

4 eggs
    4 T Butter
    1/4 cup Tapioca Flour
    1/4 cup Coconut Flour
    1 tsp apple cider vinager
    1 T honey
    1/2 tsp cream of tartar
    1/4 tsp. baking soda

* Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a large loaf pan so you will have nice strips, not big slices. Grease pan well. Mix wet ingredients together. Add in dry ingredients. (It helps to use a whisk). Batter should be smooth. Let batter sit for a minute or two to thicken. Pour into prepared loaf pan, and spread out evenly. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until set.

After bread has cooled cut it into strips about 1/2 inch thick (you should get about 14-16 strips). Then...

To make the batter:
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup coconut milk
    1 T maple syrup

*Use a whisk and blend all ingredients together until slightly frothy.

To make the French toast:
    * Heat up a skillet (medium heat) and melt a couple tablespoons of butter or coconut oil in pan. Once your fat of choice is melted, begin dunking your strips into the batter one at a time to soak them fully. Then after soaking them lay them immediately onto the hot pan. Cook strips for about 3-4 minutes on first side (until golden brown). Then, flip over the strips and cook them on the other side for an additional 2-3 minutes (until second side is golden brown). Serve immediately.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. I am gonna give these a try on Sunday.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good! Does the bread bake up like a loaf? I'm looking for a bread recipe with tapioca and coconut flour for when I want a patty melt.

pollo_la is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    Sounds good! Does the bread bake up like a loaf? I'm looking for a bread recipe with tapioca and coconut flour for when I want a patty melt.
    If you double the recipe, it will be more "loaf sized." I've done it that way too. I like to spread cream cheese or dump some cottage cheese on it. Also is nice for salmon salad or egg salad.