Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast Iron Remedial Help page 2

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It's taken me a while to get the hang of my cast iron too. I think there's a bit of a learning curve. Definitely not the easiest cookware to use, but I appreciate mine nonetheless.

To prevent sticking, heat your oil first, then add your ingredients. Don't put an egg into cold oil, for example. This will stick.

As soon as I'm done cooking I wipe out with kitchen roll (only rinsing in water if I have to) then put it straight back into the oven to dry out.

I store it in the oven between use to prevent rust.

When I BBQ I season again, knowing that I can put the pot on the hot coals and let it get REALLY frikken hot. Do that a couple of times, if you can, and your middle 'problem' should solve itself.

Lumpy, bumpy, 'sticky' surfaces. I've had them all. And rust! Not good... but once you get the hang of cleaning and seasoning and storing, you should get that smooth surface.

It's worth it, just keep at it!
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Auray is offline Junior Member
    This might be hard to believe, but Grandma used to toss all her cast iron pans into the fire when Grandpa burned the leaves every Autumn. They looked brand new after she reseasoned them. That's about all the cleaning they got except for a good wipe down with coarse salt and a flour sack.

The less you do to cast iron the better.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    I've got a Lodge and it works, all I use, but would be better if they sanded the cooking surface down smooth like the vintage pans.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I scored a pan of unknown age at an antique store this weekend for $15. The handle is a little rusty but someone must have cleaned up the cooking surface since it was nicely oiled and rust-free. It is completely smooth. Looking forward to trying my eggs on it this morning!

Halima Dances is offline Junior Member
    Old cast iron can be reclaimed so long as it's not too far gone. Sandblast, then season as if new. I have found some cool old pans in various junk stores and spiffed them up.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Still didn't work... stuck in the same place as with my lodge. Maybe it is hot spot related as someone mentioned? I don't use it on more than medium heat (gas stove). Hmph?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12