Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raising low progesterone? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Raising low progesterone?

Has anyone with low progesterone found ways to raise it naturally?

Been doing some research. Don't know which of these work yet, but I thought i'd share the wealth

Apparently:

- Vit B6, Vit C, Vit E, Mg, L-arginine, and Zinc are all great for it.

- Acupuncture can help. I went the other day and I asked for acupuncture for fertility. Guessing this is the right one to ask for?

- Mexican yam cream as a natural progesterone cream. (Has anyone tried it?)

- Herbs and spices: Turmeric, thyme and oregano.

- Plant Progesterones: Wild yams (not sweet potatoes) contain hormone-like compounds that are very similar to progesterone, and may encourage the body's own production of the hormone.

- Chinese herbs: Vitex agnus-castus (Chasteberry), and Cimicifuga racemosa (Black Cohosh). Eleutherococcus senticosis (Siberian Ginseng) promotes overall systemic functioning of the female reproductive system, acting as a tonic for female health and fertility.

- Exercise: but what kind?

- Essential oils: Oregano, Geranium and Frankincense oils. Avoid Tea Tree oil.

- Teas: Raspberry and Nettle: http://www.susunweed.com/Article_Pregnancy_Problems.htm
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-18-2013 at 08:01 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Why avoid tea tree oil?

Vitex alone worked pretty well for me. I just went off of symptoms (raging PMS vanish and libido improved), haven't gotten the bloodwork done again yet.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Why avoid tea tree oil?

Vitex alone worked pretty well for me. I just went off of symptoms (raging PMS vanish and libido improved), haven't gotten the bloodwork done again yet.
    That's amazing that a herb worked for you! I'll see if I can get it here.

Apparently Tea tree oil increases oestrogen...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    My wife has been taking the agnus castus herb for a while. It really helped. But then, she ran out and decided to see if she could be without ... PMS came back ... so she is on it again.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    I tried Vitex for 6 months, a fairly hefty dose, which worked at first but symptoms persisted. I've been taking another herbal supplement called Progestalift by Orthaplex. It has to be prescribed by a naturopath. So far nothing, but coming up to my second cycle since starting it, I will give it 6 months.

Naturopaths can brew up some foul tasting herbs specifically to suit your needs, I would recommend this. I avoid them because they have an alcohol base, but they are potent and will have you ovulating in no time!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D3 is actually not a vitamin, but a hormone precursor that is essential to Progesterone, etc. production. I got my Progesterone levels up by supplementing D3 and ensuring I got sufficient Magnesium and other D3 co-factors.

It took some time, but I was able to stop using Progesterone cream for peri-menopausal symptoms about 6 months after eating a nutrient-dense Primal diet and supplementing 8,000 IUs of D3.

Quote Originally Posted by VacillateWildly View Post
    Naturopaths can brew up some foul tasting herbs specifically to suit your needs, I would recommend this. I avoid them because they have an alcohol base, but they are potent and will have you ovulating in no time!
    I went for acupuncture and they tried to sell me some herbs but I'm always skeptical of tcm herbs. Maybe it's worth trying...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Vitamin D3 is actually not a vitamin, but a hormone precursor that is essential to Progesterone, etc. production. I got my Progesterone levels up by supplementing D3 and ensuring I got sufficient Magnesium and other D3 co-factors.

It took some time, but I was able to stop using Progesterone cream for peri-menopausal symptoms about 6 months after eating a nutrient-dense Primal diet and supplementing 8,000 IUs of D3.
    That's interesting - my vit D is also low, so I've been supplementing that. Would be great if it helped!

- Ray Peat

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't aware of a Vitamin D & progesterone connection, but it doesn't surprise me as Vitamin D is popping up everywhere, I had a bit of a look around and only found one particular study showing the reverse, where excessive Vitamin D supplementation (24,000IU) caused a reduction in both Estrogen -3% & Progesteronen -10%, but there didn't seem to be much around looking at low and normal levels and the inter relationship there.

There are a number of things coming to light with Vitamin D, it has a strong association with nearly all chronic diseases, but evidence is scant to determine if it is a causal factor or merely one of the effects of chronic disease, but what everyone does agree on is it does a whole lot more than just regulate calcium in bones.

It is now beginning to be considered more as a true endochrine hormone and with that comes greater concerns about how we manipulate these levels knowing that there is the potential for creating greater imbalances than those you start with, but there is a high likelihood that moderate supplementation to raise levels at least above the lower threshold is beneficial according to published literature. The best source of Vitamin D is of course the sun and UVB light, so sensible sun exposure in the midday period from 10-2 generally is when UVB is available, the further from the equator you go the smaller the seasonal window, over 40 from the equator it is only available for the 4-5 months of late spring to early autumn.

Along with other supplements mentioned Vitamin A is a crucial one to balance with Vitamin D, the ratio should be somewhere around 1A:8D, they compete for the same receptor sites in some instances.

Have a good read around on this topic to get a feel for what directions you should take, the Video below was posted on another thread re sleep issues, but it ties back to Vitamin D, she takes quite a while to get to the Vitamin D, but well worth a watch and makes you reconsider the implications of Vitamin D deficiency, particularly with regard to sleep quality and hence disease and healing as we know most of our repairs occur while we sleep.

Dr. Stasha Gominak Discusses Sleep and Vitamin D (All Parts Combined) - YouTube

The link below has a bit of a cautionary approach presenting some of the counter arguments against supplementation, also worth a read, merely to help centre your own position on the topic, always good to look at both sides.
    Why I don’t take vitamin D supplements*/* Getting Stronger
    "There are no short cuts to enlightenment, the journey is the destination, you have to walk this path alone"

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    On the steroid metabolic hormone pathway: cortisol requires progesterone

1.) If you have low cortisol, you may also have low progesterone.

2.) If you have chronic high cortisol, your progesterone may be burned out or sluggish.

3.) If you have low Pregnanolone (steroid hormone precursor) you most likely will have low ---- DHEA ----- Testosterone ------ Estrogen--- Progesterone ------- Aldesterone

4.) If you have low cholesterol (LDL are "precursor steps"), you may have low Pregnanolone

Pathway Image

Edit: There are other precursors before cholesterol: Acetyl CoA --- HMG COA --- insert Statins here -----XXXXX----- rest of the pathway is severely slowed

Pathway image
    Last edited by StephenHLi; 05-19-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    On the steroid metabolic hormone pathway: cortisol requires progesterone

1.) If you have low cortisol, you may also have low progesterone.

2.) If you have chronic high cortisol, your progesterone may be burned out or sluggish.

3.) If you have low Pregnanolone (steroid hormone precursor) you most likely will have low ---- DHEA ----- Testosterone ------ Estrogen--- Progesterone ------- Aldesterone

4.) If you have low cholesterol (LDL are "precursor steps"), you may have low Pregnanolone

Pathway Image

Edit: There are other precursors before cholesterol: Acetyl CoA --- HMG COA --- insert Statins here -----XXXXX----- rest of the pathway is severely slowed

Pathway image
    Thanks for the info Stephen. My cholesterol and oestrogen are both very high, my cortisol is slightly high.

If I was to get treatment with TCM, what would you recommend I ask for?

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast