Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most nutritious fruit? (don't say berries, don't say berries)

Hybrid View

Most nutritious fruit? (don't say berries, don't say berries)

Berries are obviously heavily touted in the Paleosphere (and slammed in other places for having unavoidable seeds), but other than those, what are the best fruits to eat?

I predominantly eat bananas cos they're so cheap and filling, but not sure where they rank on the nutrition scale. Pineapple, mango, oranges are also a regular feature in my life.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

berries

I would say that the fruit that is in season in your area is the best fruit to eat at anytime. In summer, I eat peaches, blueberries, summer apples, melons, etc.

I think bananas are pretty good actually. Very good for potassium obviously, but I think they also have some good fats in them iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Berries are obviously heavily touted in the Paleosphere (and slammed in other places for having unavoidable seeds), but other than those, what are the best fruits to eat?
    Best for what? general health? most tasty? refilling liver glycogen? refilling muscular glycogen? brainfood for examens? etc, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    refilling liver glycogen? refilling muscular glycogen? brainfood for examens? etc, etc...
    Those are all good! which fruits do the above?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

|
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Those are all good! which fruits do the above?
    Maybe a very ripe banana if I should choose one fruit only...

They're all great! Seriously, unless you're eating 40 pieces a day, eat what you like

blueberries, strawberries, huckleberries, cranberries, berries, berries, berries! LOL I just had to

Seriously, I love just about all fruits. I have no idea which are the best, but we eat apricots, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, dates, figs, grapefruit, grapes, mandarins, mango, melons, oranges, papayas, raisins, and strawberries. I've been aiming for small quantities of a large variety of fruits. Some are fresh, others dried or frozen.

Here's some Nutritional Information about Fruit that you might find helpful if you want to do comparisons.

I eat them all too!! I try to eat mostly in season fruits though. I do know that fruits like bananas, pineapple, and oranges will raise your glucose levels higher then some of the other fruits, but I still eat and love them! I just keep in mind that if I have an orange, it would be good to pair it with an omelet of something if I can, and not eat 3 in a sitting. Bananas (although they do raise your blood sugar more than some of the other fruits) have lots of great things in them.