Thread: Scotch Eggs Help!!!! page

perrym is offline Junior Member

Scotch Eggs Help!!!!

Hi, newbie here. Tried my hand at Scotch Eggs for the first time today. I used my black iron skillet that had leftover bacon grease in it from breakfast. When they started frying, the sausage fell off of the eggs... no matter how gentle I handled them. Anyone have this happen to them before? Did I do something wrong? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Samphis is offline Member
    I'm fairly certain there's usually a flour component to hold the sausage together.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    I prefer my Scotch straight
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Samphis View Post
    I'm fairly certain there's usually a flour component to hold the sausage together.
    ^This. Also, they are often breaded. You could try using Almond meal/flour as a binding agent. Personally, before doing that, I'd try packing the sausage tightly around the eggs and then baking them - less movement/handling.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I've only had them deep-fried. What's your procedure? Before primal mine was take a hardboiled egg, dip it in beaten egg, cover it with sausage, cover it with breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs would crust right away and keep the sausage on. Dipping the hb egg into beaten egg helps the sausage have something to glom onto. Make sure you pack the sausage really well...slam it back and forth a few times between hands as if you're making a meatball. If you still need something to roll the sausage around in maybe try ground almond flour.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Some years back I developed a recipe where I coated hard-boiled eggs in a thick layer of sausage meat and baked them to cook it. I then covered them with sticky short-grain rice, breaded them, and fried them.

That was some years before I gave up gluten.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    I've made them no issues. Make sure you are using proper sausage meat, not minced pork, squeeze it onto the egg, then cook in oven for 30-40 mins until coloured.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    it also helps to chill them for 1/2 hour before you fry them. dont make the sausage coating too thin as it shrinks when it cooks and dont move them about too much in the pan

perrym is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for all the advice. I was following the recipe in The Primal Blueprint, which only called for egg and sausage. I will try it again but I think I will add the Almond Flour and maybe a raw egg to help with the binding... and I will bake instead of fry. Again, thanks to everyone.