Thread: Primal application applied to Lean Gains & Carb Cycle Method.... page

fkjr2 is offline Senior Member

Primal application applied to Lean Gains & Carb Cycle Method....

Shop Now
    hi all - so a little background before I ask the question...

I follow a strict IF and lean gains method with 3-4x heavy lifts and 1-2 HIIT per week

I however extend the Fast from typical 1-2pm protocol to dinner time (6pm) and post lift

I normally break my fast after the heavy lift workout with ingestion of BCAA's prior/during - or sometimes I lift in the AM hours (BCAA'S) and don't eat until 6pm

I then break the fast soon after with whey, lean meats, eggs, cocnut oil, broccoli, fruit, etc (all my daily calories) always at night

What I have been doing on top of this is cycling HEAVY carb days/minimal fats 1-2x per week with 400+ carbs post lift/evening hours. (carbs I add are starchy and "cheat" ones)

The other days my macros follow - 200g pro / 75-100g carb / 100g fats

I am 153 lbs 5'9" 30" waist 40 year old male - GOAL - maintain/get muscular and lean.

With the LG/IF lifestyle I have leaned out nicely while still adding/maintaining muscle tone.

So the question....!

On the Primal Blueprint method, do I continue with my Carb up days or continue 100% with controling the insulin with lower carbs 7 days/week with the above macros staying constant?

Do you all who lift and want to build muscle do any carb ups post workout? More specifically with "Cheat" foods?

Do I save the carb ups for just a few times per month instead of per week?

I have to say that I have a 4 pack and want those last two packs (lower) to come thru - and I am thinking the carb ups might be hindering this progress?

Thanks in advance for the help

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    If your gut feeling is to cut back on the carb ups, you can do that without eliminating them entirely. You could cut them down to 300g or even less to start and see how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    If your gut feeling is to cut back on the carb ups, you can do that without eliminating them entirely. You could cut them down to 300g or even less to start and see how that works.
    Thanks
    Should I continue with some of the "cheat" foods or stick to sweet potato, fruit, etc?

I'm not sure what falls into your "cheat" category. But if it's working for you, stop calling it a "cheat" and just schedule it in periodically. Maybe for you it's the new normal.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I'm not sure what falls into your "cheat" category. But if it's working for you, stop calling it a "cheat" and just schedule it in periodically. Maybe for you it's the new normal.
    Oats, honey, lots of fruits, dates, carob chips,

Also my question was do I keep fats high on lift days or do I alternate low fat and high fat days like lean gains method?

I don't have any experience with that which you would find useful. Although I think all sorts of dietary cycling is of value, I'm a low volume exerciser with low caloric needs, and an easy gainer. Right now I'm eating steak and egg yolks 6 days a week plus 1 carb day, doing mostly handstands and pre-chinup exercises, and visibly getting more muscular.

Try for a month and see?

Thanks
    I will cheers

JackJones is offline Junior Member
    I've been doing IF/Primal/Carb Cycling for a few months now. Overall goal is to cut so my total carb intake is fairly low. Roughly 200g 3 days a week and under 50g the other four. And honestly I've been super surprised at how well recovered I am from just 200g of carbs from sources like bananas, plantains, sweet potatoes.

IMO just play around with it. With a high activity level your need to worry about insulin spikes are much reduced, especially if you've been at a healthy body composition for a long time and haven't been struggling with insulin resistance.
    Spreading the Paleo/Primal message to gamers through my website: http://www.thehealthygamer.com
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HappyJacksChannel