Thread: I wish I'd found this site sooner! page

fahlava is offline Junior Member

Smile I wish I'd found this site sooner!

Shop Now
    Hi all, I'm in my mid 50s working on being the healthiest I've been in my entire life. Done well to this point (eliptical, spin bike AND TRX at home) but was getting frustrated by so mworking out, eating low calories and dropping only an occassional pound over the last few months. I know from measurements I've lost body fat, so it's wasn't a completely wasted effort. A summary of my background.

Between 2006 and 2010 I lost 75 pounds by watching my diet and working out, including over a year with a personal trainer. YAY ME! I thought that was great and it was because I'd been heavy since the late 1980s. But the weight loss stopped at 180. Over the next 2 years I moved, changed career, married, bought a house ....and found I'd climbed back up to 200 again. After our wedding we were both so exhausted we stopped the gym and turned to too much fast food....mostly because we were lazy and I was tired of the gym. During the 6 months prior to the wedding I worked out with another trainer 2-3 times a week, plus did cardio other days and the scale dropped only 8 pounds. I was totall frustrated and took on that "I don't care, why bother, nothing's working, he loves me the way I am approach".

With a very serious goal of reaching 100 and enjoying life all the way there, we set our sights on working out again and this time it's sticking for us both. We bought an eliptical and joined the gym. Last May I started working out again, rebuilding my strength and cardio capacity. It's where I learned about TRX and using my own body weight for great exercises like planks, among others.

Just last week I discovered this site, bought the Primal Blueprint and pretty quickly adapted my diet. I've been using SparkPeople to track calories and nutrition so it was easy to see I was carbing myself so much. In the week since I've modified my diet, a few very important things have happened.

1. Avoiding the grains and other simple carbs, I have found that the signal telling me "I'm full" is working again!!! This is really big because I was eating every 3 hours because I always felt hungry. Most days now I have 3 meals and few snacks (now an apple or some strawberries). And there is no more "food coma" after eating too many carbs. Very good because in my job I need to be alert!!

2. I am experiencing a higher energy level. Getting out of bed in the morning isn't always a groggy affair and I cruise through the day until my body says, "Hey, it's time for bed, go to sleep."

3. I am more alert and focused during the day.

4. I can more easily do some of the harder exercise (an extreme hike straight up the side of a mountain that gains 2000 ft in elevation in just over a mile, followed by a 4 mile jog down the adjacent trail...Manitou Incline for those of you in the area). Instead of a heavy breakfast, last week I had a banana with sunflower nut butter and some dried fruit following the steepest part. I felt so good afterwards!!

5. This remains to be seen but I hope to start seeing the scale move. Given my frustrations from the past I only weigh myself occassionally. Last time was 3 weeks ago, 178 (below 180 - YAY!). My goal is 160 (I'm 5'8.5")...but if this works as I belive it will, I may just cruise back into the 150s where I was in my 20s!!

Now working to get my husband on the same page. He's lost 30 lbs since December and I've lost 22....hope to make that 32 for me in the next month. Thanks Mark, for enlightening me!!

Cave Bird is offline Member
    Fahlava, way to go! I'm in my early 50s myself, and I wish I had learned this way of eating years ago. I look forward to hearing about your progress!

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fahlava View Post
    This remains to be seen but I hope to start seeing the scale move. Given my frustrations from the past I only weigh myself occassionally. Last time was 3 weeks ago, 178 (below 180 - YAY!). My goal is 160 (I'm 5'8.5")...but if this works as I belive it will, I may just cruise back into the 150s where I was in my 20s!!
    Ditch the scale!!! Use your clothes, mirror, and measuring tape to determine your progress!!!

I'm serious, DITCH THE SCALE!!!