Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad choice of "primal-ish" restaurant meal page

Greensprout is online now Senior Member

Bad choice of "primal-ish" restaurant meal

Went out for lunch today, I think this was my first restaurant meal since starting to eat primal 2 months ago. Thought I made a great choice, ordering a Greek salad and "jalapeno shrimp with thai basil and coconut milk". Sounds like a decent primal option.

Served in a large puffed rice crisp thing shaped into a scallop type shell, it was really delicious, and I made sure to scoop up every tasty drop of creamy sauce that I could. About 10 min after finishing, I suddenly felt flushed, fuzzy headed, and had a bit of a belly ache. The worst of it passed within a few minutes, but has left me still feeling a but fuzzy brained, belly bloated and gassy. Most disappointing. I've never to my knowledge had any food sensitivities or intolerances before PB eating.

So what the heck was in that sauce, which must have been the culprit??? Flour? MSG? Some unpronounceable chemical food additive?? <<note to self: next time ask server about ingredients before ordering>>. I should have asked the waitress how it was prepared before leaving, but didn't, not sure why.

Makes me a bit concerned how my next meal out will go...especially with a trip out of the country at the end of the month.

And I was really looking forward to that lunch...bah. Not happy.

sugar?

I always think I won't be embarrassed to ask for ingredients, but I am for some reason. So, I just stick to a side of steak.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    I suspect the vegetable oil. Restaurants just love to slather and fry everything in canola and soybean oil, and it's usually rancid to some degree. That stuff gives me the same symptoms you describe. But who knows; it could be oxidized PUFAs/trans fats, or it could be MSG, sugar, flour... or even all of the above!

If only they'd just use butter or tallow for everything... but that would be "unhealthy", ha ha. Not to mention slightly more expensive. Eating out is risky business!

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    You can safely assume there's plenty of sugar in there, quite possibly in the form of HFCS.

MSG is a must for most restaurant food.

Rancid vege/seed oil was most certainly used to cook it.

Chemical stabilizers, additives...etc were most probably put in some bottled ingredient used to make the sauce.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Well, every now, and then Grok ran across a carcass of unknown quality, and against his better judgement tucked in to something that'd been laying out too long... doubt he gave it a second thought once the runs had run their course, eh?

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Should have ordered a burger without the bun instead.

Things are settling a bit more, but wasn't up for supper. It wasn't a big meal either, and I had IF'd breakfast in anticipation, too. Think I'll sooth myself a bit later with a pan of crispy pork belly.

Hopefully I'll have better luck eating out in Paris for a week. I suspect there will be loads of primal options there...and cheese and cream and butter (and wine).

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Should have ordered a burger without the bun instead.

Things are settling a bit more, but wasn't up for supper. It wasn't a big meal either, and I had IF'd breakfast in anticipation, too. Think I'll sooth myself a bit later with a pan of crispy pork belly.

Hopefully I'll have better luck eating out in Paris for a week. I suspect there will be loads of primal options there...and cheese and cream and butter (and wine).
    I don't know if I trust restaurant ground beef... :X

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    I don't know if I trust restaurant ground beef... :X
    Sort of related, I had to have McDonald's the other night (since they are the only place nice enough to stay open late) so I bought two triple cheeseburgers without sauce and ate the meat and cheese (fuck gerkin). The next morning I had bad stomach pains. Obviously they mix a lot of bad shit into their beef patties, and thats not saying anything about the Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratios of their probably cheap grain fed beef.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    McDonald's might have had good beef in their burgers once upon a time, but nowadays actual beef is probably a trace ingredient. I'd be suspicious of the cheese too. McDonald's is also notorious for putting HFCS in freaking everything (again, a practice they only picked up in the '80s).

You never know what restaurants put in hamburger patties. When pushed to extremes I'll eat the bunless burgers at In-N-Out, Fatburger, and even Carl's Jr., but I wouldn't be surprised if there's something in there besides 100% angus beef. However, I don't feel like death after eating them, so maybe they're alright with a little Omega-3 supplementation on the side.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    restaurants go overboard with crappy oils. I went to an all you can eat chicken wing night the other day. I had not had much to eat that day and i was ready to go. I figured I could put away about 3pounds of unsauced wings. The wings were big and crispy, petty good actually. After the first twelve I felt like i had eaten two huge bowls of pasta. Bloated and uncomfortable. Damn you soy oil. damn you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast