Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about going primal.... page

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member

Thinking about going primal....

Primal Fuel
    and I'll tell you what is stopping me. You all seem very dedicated and disciplined in your lifestyle. I am new to this forum and site so I hope I won't be judged too harshly.

So I run competitively about once a month. I mostly eat a low carb diet but I do load up on pasta the night before my race. I always enjoy the tremendous boost of energy the next morning. I do not want to give this practice up.

Another challenge is that on Friday nights, my husband and I usually go out to dinner and also have drinks. We don't do this every Friday but most, I would say, and its a great time to focus on each other and escape the week's drama. (we have 4 kids close in age) We really have a good time together and I do not want to give up the margaritas/mixed drinks part of it. Its just a favorite thing to do as we have a fun night together!

So I've always thought because of these two habits, Primal diet is not for me. Is this true or would it work for me to do Primal all other times and just have these cheat times?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and opinion on this!

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    1) If you want to "carb load", rice or sweet potatoes work great.

2) What's wrong with occasional booze?

It kinda sounds like you're looking for excuses already. Good luck.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    1) If you want to "carb load", rice or sweet potatoes work great.

2) What's wrong with occasional booze?

It kinda sounds like you're looking for excuses already. Good luck.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

That was rude Anthony.... I had asked not to be judged. I don't need excuses... if you saw me you'd know that.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Julie, the best part of being primal, is you don't have to be 100%. Mark advocates 80/20. So enjoy a few drinks now and then.

As far as running, there are quite a few of us that are athletes. Just carb up on things like sweet potatoes. Its a big change and takes a bit of figuring out, but its definitely possible.

Check out the Athlete's forum. There are a lot of folks there that are primal and also compete.

The only thing that's stopping you is you. If you want to go primal, there is no reason not to. But, its your choice, and you should do what's right for you.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think you should give it a go. One pasta meal a month, coupled with a drink fest once a week, and then primal/paleo the rest of the time is probably fine.

Two warnings though.
    1. Eating a ton of pasta after you haven't eaten wheat for a month can be painful. It may well make you feel like shit. But as Mr Anthony said, no worries, eat some potatoes, sweet potatoes or rice for the same carb boost. I eat grains on occasion (small amounts like a bun) and I get pretty bad heartburn and feel like shit. I never used to get that way.

2. If I drank every week, I'd never lose weight. However, plenty of people here drink and see results. You might switch to say, a margarita with lime juice, tequila and agave and really work on avoiding drinks made with "mixers".

Go for it. It's not like anyone is going to come beat the tar out of you if you eat pizza or have a margarita with your taco. And it's not like everyone here is as perfect as you might perceive them.

The only thing that annoys the shit out of me is when people say "I have been primal for a month and have only lost 1 lb. This does not work and sucks". And then they post that they still eat a cookie every day, had ice cream, drink beer and like a nice piece of toast with their egg.

The other thing that annoys the shit out of me are all the people that are afraid of fruit and carbs. "I ate 3 lbs of bacon, 2 cups of heavy cream, 4 ribeyes and 3 strawberries and gained 5 lbs." "OMG, try eliminating fruit!".

But I imagine more people than not have a non primal meal once a month and suck back a few drinks a week.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    That was rude Anthony.... I had asked not to be judged. I don't need excuses... if you saw me you'd know that.
    I wasn't being rude. Brief and to the point, yes.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    2. If I drank every week, I'd never lose weight. However, plenty of people here drink and see results. You might switch to say, a margarita with lime juice, tequila and agave and really work on avoiding drinks made with "mixers".
    Except don't drink agave. Ever. It's basically pure fructose. Simple syrup isn't hard to make, and it's 50/50 glucose/fructose. Light corn syrup is basically straight glucose. Even honey and HFCS are like 45/55 glucose/fructose. Please. Anything but agave.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    LOL, I dunno, I make my SO margaritas with fresh lime, tequila and agave and he swears they are the best. It has a caramel taste to it that gives the drink more complexity.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    No one is going to come to your house and arrest you for doing those things... eat well, have pasta if it works for you, call it 20% (or don't, and leave a label off of however you eat)

liminal_luke is offline Member
    It's your diet so I say do what works for you. Because of the individual complexities of our personal biochemistry and varied health goals, some people need to hew very closely to straight and narrow paleo; other will experience profound progress on a primal-lite eating plan brimming with occasional wheat and sugar free-for-alls. The big question is...what kind of person are you? If going in a mostly primal direction while keeping your pre-event carb loads and weekly mixed drink romantic extravaganzas takes you where you want to go, well, you certainly don't owe an apology to the primal purists or anybody else. I say take it as your personal n=1 experiment: go mostly primal except for your stated exceptions and see what happens. You'll never know how the experiement will turn out if you don't try it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast