Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking about going primal.... page 3

JulieRUNS is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you all so so much for your wisdom and encouragement!

I guess I was worried that if I don't go "all or nothing" my body would not use the fat for fuel. Did I read that you have to transition into that mode? I wouldn't want to be screwing all my work up every Friday night and have to keep starting the process over.

So happy to hear it's the fountain of youth! Those words are music to my ears as I turn the big 40 this year.
    Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Thanks much again,
    Julie

diene is offline Senior Member
    I run races too (though not once a month). I carb load with rice, potatoes, enjera (made with teff flour), and sometimes ice cream (yes, ice cream). I also drink like 1-3 times a week, depending on the week (and that's 1-3 nights of drinking, not 1-3 drinks). But I try to stay away from sugary cocktails (I do have them occasionally) and try to drink wine or cocktails with club soda and lime/lemon juice. But there's no rule that says you can never drink sugary cocktails.

Edited to add: Yes, you do have to transition into burning fat for fuel, in the sense that it takes some time to adapt to a low-carb diet, if that is what you're doing. But primal does not necessarily mean low carb. And one night a week of drinking isn't going to screw up your transition. Also, if you train low-carb and carb load before the race, you basically fly through the race. When I trained low carb, the pre-race carb loading was so much more effective! But I'm moderate carb now so the results are not as spectacular.
    Last edited by diene; 05-16-2013 at 01:57 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There are also other types of pasta that don't include wheat, if it turns out you find that wheat pasta causes you issues.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    mark suggests" rice and noodles made from rice are fairly free of anti-nutrients and aren’t going to kill you, and they may provide a valuable source of easily accessed starch that you find valuable on your journey."
    That was in his blog post from 13th May
    Read more: What to Eat When Hiking Around the World | Mark's Daily Apple
    might these help you?

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    The other thing that annoys the shit out of me are all the people that are afraid of fruit and carbs. "I ate 3 lbs of bacon, 2 cups of heavy cream, 4 ribeyes and 3 strawberries and gained 5 lbs." "OMG, try eliminating fruit!".
    This is exactly how I feel within this community. It like, eat all the stuff you want, even if it's not 100% Paleo, but limit your fruit to a handful of berries. This fear of a natural sugar containing food is dumb. It's real food with plenty of benefits and is far easier to digest than most "hardcore paleo foods". AKA BACON!

I've discovered this the hard way of low carb, almost zero fruit for 2 years. I now eat mostly raw fruit and very, very little vegetables. I feel a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    I run races too (though not once a month). I carb load with rice, potatoes, enjera (made with teff flour), and sometimes ice cream (yes, ice cream). I also drink like 1-3 times a week, depending on the week (and that's 1-3 nights of drinking, not 1-3 drinks). But I try to stay away from sugary cocktails (I do have them occasionally) and try to drink wine or cocktails with club soda and lime/lemon juice. But there's no rule that says you can never drink sugary cocktails."

--We should hang out!

[/QUOTE]
    Edited to add: Yes, you do have to transition into burning fat for fuel, in the sense that it takes some time to adapt to a low-carb diet, if that is what you're doing. But primal does not necessarily mean low carb. And one night a week of drinking isn't going to screw up your transition. Also, if you train low-carb and carb load before the race, you basically fly through the race. When I trained low carb, the pre-race carb loading was so much more effective! But I'm moderate carb now so the results are not as spectacular.
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you for answering this.
    Yes, I train low-carb and then at the race and after a night of carbs I feel like a super-hero.
    Huge huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    mark suggests" rice and noodles made from rice are fairly free of anti-nutrients and aren’t going to kill you, and they may provide a valuable source of easily accessed starch that you find valuable on your journey."
    That was in his blog post from 13th May
    Read more: What to Eat When Hiking Around the World | Mark's Daily Apple
    might these help you?
    Thanks!!

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    and I'll tell you what is stopping me. You all seem very dedicated and disciplined in your lifestyle. I am new to this forum and site so I hope I won't be judged too harshly.

So I run competitively about once a month. I mostly eat a low carb diet but I do load up on pasta the night before my race. I always enjoy the tremendous boost of energy the next morning. I do not want to give this practice up.

Another challenge is that on Friday nights, my husband and I usually go out to dinner and also have drinks. We don't do this every Friday but most, I would say, and its a great time to focus on each other and escape the week's drama. (we have 4 kids close in age) We really have a good time together and I do not want to give up the margaritas/mixed drinks part of it. Its just a favorite thing to do as we have a fun night together!

So I've always thought because of these two habits, Primal diet is not for me. Is this true or would it work for me to do Primal all other times and just have these cheat times?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and opinion on this!
    The good news is you get to make all your own choices. But please understand that there are more optimal choices that you can still enjoy to replace the less optimal things you're doing. With that said, perfection is not the goal, improving health and performance is. How much you want to improve is up to you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123