Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about going primal.... page 2

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    That was rude Anthony.... I had asked not to be judged. I don't need excuses... if you saw me you'd know that.
    That wasnt at all rude...I didnt realize you could tell his tone just from reading, thats a pretty special power you got. On a more serious note, many runners realize they dont need the carb load once fat adapted. A plate of pasta as a carb load is a joke performance wise.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    No one is going to come to your house and arrest you for doing those things... eat well, have pasta if it works for you, call it 20% (or don't, and leave a label off of however you eat)
    Agreed, we aren't the Inquisition.
    For me, the value of a community like this is the means to make educated choices.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    LOL, I dunno, I make my SO margaritas with fresh lime, tequila and agave and he swears they are the best. It has a caramel taste to it that gives the drink more complexity.
    And it gives the drinker more diabeetus.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    Agreed, we aren't the Inquisition.
    Although nobody would expect it if we were.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I think it's perfectly fine to eat primal and have your weekly indulgences. You can carb load with other things besides pasta, or you can keep eating the pasta, whatever you want to do. I wish I had a date night every week with my husband, and relaxing and having a few drinks sounds really fun to me, totally something I would do if I could. I say go for it, and consider your indulgences to be your 20%.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Julie, do it. You will feel so amazing. Instead of pasta carb loads have sushi. And drink up when you go out on Friday nights. I did this diet for a year and a half drinking 3 glasses of wine almost every day. Drank half a bottle (probably more than half) for my birthday this year.

Also, do the WHOLE program. The food as well as the sleep, the sun and the fitness program. Drop the chronic cardio, the chronic calorie restriction, the fear of animal fats and everything. It's a fountain of youth, this stuff. I've got a spring in my step I haven't felt in like ever. Good luck.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

TerpsPwn_387 is offline Member
    I think it won't be that hard of a transition. Sometimes it may seem like the members of this site are "all or nothing" but I don't believe that to be the case.

As far as the pasta goes, I have been eating this way for a few years now and now I really can't eat it. I think you will naturally transition off of it. I eat sweet potatoes almost every day and I had about 4 within a 24 hour period before my last half marathon.

Also, I drink wine pretty much every day, and have beer with friends once a week. I definitely obey the 80/20 rule and it hasn't affected my appearance or my energy and I am very active.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I think of "doing paleo" as striving toward an ideal. It's not a binary label like "vegan", for example. Probably everyone fails with respect to some tenet, at some point. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

And if all that's holding you back is your pre-race meal, which as many have noted is easily replaceable, and a few drinks a week, which in itself is not even a problem, then it looks like you're off to a good start!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieRUNS View Post
    So I've always thought because of these two habits, Primal diet is not for me. Is this true or would it work for me to do Primal all other times and just have these cheat times?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and opinion on this!
    1. There are other carb sources than pasta and bread. Oh, and Primal does not mean low carb. Eat as many primal carbs as you want.

2. There's more to Primal than food. PLAY is a component. Live a little! Some alcohol is more primal (wine, cider) than others (beer, spirits)

3. This isn't a diet. No diet, no cheat.

Most people here will admit to eating 'off plan' sometimes. (I ate pasta and pudding last night, have a carb hangover this morning, back on plan at the next meal) Unless you have food allergies/sensitivities, eat whatever makes you feel good, or is the best choice from whats available at that opportunity.

STRIVE for 100% compliance, ACCEPT that 20% will be out of your control, or temporarily inconvenient. You don't have to do primal perfectly to enjoy the benefits. I am dedicated, but hardly disciplined.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerpsPwn_387 View Post

As far as the pasta goes, I have been eating this way for a few years now and now I really can't eat it. I think you will naturally transition off of it.
    I agree about the pasta. It no longer appeals to me. Neither does pizza. GASP! My previous favorite food in the world. I never thought I would say those words.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast