Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not what to eat but how to eat page

mikegee2 is offline Member

Not what to eat but how to eat

Primal Fuel
    I have really enjoyed PaleoBird's thread on carnivorousness. What was interesting to me is her eating pattern. I eat three meals/day, as habit only. Large meat and eggs at about 9:00 am, then usually some chicken or pork thingy with a few carbs at noon, then a light supper small portion meat AND sometimes/not a veggie for supper at 6: then nothing after. I have no idea why I do this. I am never hungry in between meals, and don't snack.

My wife eats CRON, and has for years, and she is truly a BIRD sized woman. In fact I call her "mon petit oiseau". ANYWAY: she says I eat too much. I am wondering, are my lifetime habits causing me to eat too much? What would my my life be like on say, a grazing all day diet? would I over eat? What if I ate only once a day? Would I overeat? Obviously I am over thinking. NOT WHAT TO EAT BUT HOW TO EAT

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    It's hard to overeat on one meal a day, which is my eating habit (around 6pm). Sometimes I skip a meal, sometimes I eat two (weekend, for social convenience). I don't overeat I think but it varies and that's how I feel best.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    I've actually just written an article about meal frequency and the scientific rationale behind why one meal a day is probably ideal. You can find it here. It's fairly long, otherwise I would have just included it inline in this post.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    I've actually just written an article about meal frequency and the scientific rationale behind why one meal a day is probably ideal. You can find it here. It's fairly long, otherwise I would have just included it inline in this post.

-PK
    Thanks..printing it now
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    It's hard to overeat on one meal a day, which is my eating habit (around 6pm). Sometimes I skip a meal, sometimes I eat two (weekend, for social convenience). I don't overeat I think but it varies and that's how I feel best.
    Did you just DECIDE to do that? What made you change the way you WERE eating?

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I definitely eat less when I eat less frequently. As long as the meal is nourishing/nontoxic/slow-digesting I have no stress until the next one. No rigid planning though. On a given day I have an equal chance of either:
    (a) red meat/tuber/veg/fruit/chocolate dinner
    (b) salad lunch + smaller soup/eggs/rice/fish type dinner

The first time I tried (a) I expected grotesque gorging but honestly can't do it. 1 steak and 1 potato are such natural unit sizes, eating more feels weird. I assume my body knows how to allocate everything and cope for 23 hours.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Experiment with listening to your body and feeding it when its actually hungry. You don't experience hunger because you don't wait long enough between feedings. And I say 'feedings' instead of meals, because you're eating to CW meal times, not your body's timetable.

Skip a meal. Do not snack. Get hungry. Feel what real hunger feels like. Then feed that hunger. You might eat more in a sitting, but probably less than if you ate 3 meals a day on autopilot.

Then again, if your current way of eating is giving you the results you desire, why change a thing?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I agree with the the others: why not try it?

Personally, 3 meals a day suits me best. I have no interest in eating throughout the day. Eating a meal in the morning satisfies me till lunch, then I eat again, then I eat again for dinner, when my appetite has returned. I skip meals every now and then due to schedule (too busy or forgot) or lack of appetite. Sometimes I eat a little extra in the evening, but not as much as I would to completely make up for the missed meal.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Unless you are overweight, why would your wife think you are eating too much? Because you eat more than she does?

pollo_la is offline Member
    I do find all of this very interesting. I have never been one who can eat a lot at one sitting. I just can't. A couple bites and I'm usually stuffed. I graze... No weight problems either... I would like to work down to 3 meals a day though. Right now with all my grazing I probably eat 6 times a day??? I feel like maybe there are other health benefits to not grazing (like a better immune system response).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast