Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not what to eat but how to eat page 2

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'd just like to endorse pklopp's writing. I eat one meal a day because it's the only sustainable form of calorie restriction I've ever encountered. If I ever eat food before 4:00 PM, it literally ruins my day. I know it's silly to think of it in black and white terms like that, but past experience dictates that this is true for me.

I normally follow leangains, so on training days (3-4x/week) I eat a 2,200-2,300 calorie meal at roughly 7:00 PM and on rest days I eat a 1,700 calorie meal at that same time. I don't count calories anymore, but I'm an excellent guesser based on years of counting calories. I do still weigh my foods though.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegee2 View Post
    Did you just DECIDE to do that? What made you change the way you WERE eating?
    No, it came gradually while I was on a VLC diet for weight loss for about 7 months. once I reached my weight goal, I loosened up but the meal schedule had alreaedy been changed to one meal a day. I then read pklopp's articles about intermittent fasting (3 part article, a very good read), and it made complete sense considering my own shift of eating habit over something like 3 months (skipped lunch, then reaplced breakfast by bulletproof coffee then ditched the morning fat altogether). I feel no hunger at all during the day, even now that my carb intake is slightly increased to ~ 100g / day. I also do a 2 days fast once in a while, which is very easy when you are adapted to one meal a day. But it takes time to reprogram yourself.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegee2 View Post
    I have really enjoyed PaleoBird's thread on carnivorousness. What was interesting to me is her eating pattern. I eat three meals/day, as habit only. Large meat and eggs at about 9:00 am, then usually some chicken or pork thingy with a few carbs at noon, then a light supper small portion meat AND sometimes/not a veggie for supper at 6: then nothing after. I have no idea why I do this. I am never hungry in between meals, and don't snack.

My wife eats CRON, and has for years, and she is truly a BIRD sized woman. In fact I call her "mon petit oiseau". ANYWAY: she says I eat too much. I am wondering, are my lifetime habits causing me to eat too much? What would my my life be like on say, a grazing all day diet? would I over eat? What if I ate only once a day? Would I overeat? Obviously I am over thinking. NOT WHAT TO EAT BUT HOW TO EAT
    I think this is the most under emphasized question (how do I eat?) in the whole primal living movement. When somebody first comes across the Primal blueprint it usually happens thus:

*Ok so I gotta eat what grok ate?: cut out grains and seed oils, limit dairy and avoid legumes, OK got it.
    *Move like grok you say aswell?: plenty of low intensity movement, some heavy lifting and an occasional sprint, too easy.
    *So you say grok got plenty of sleep, sun and play also, well that's not so hard.
    *"woohoo Im fully primal" they might say

So a few months later they're back on the forums, because they've hit a stall or some other problem and everybody is telling them "up your daily carbs a little", "restrict your cals a bit more, CICO rules ok", "macros at 50/20/30 for you" "you aren't lifting heavy enough", "hows your sleep", I could go on.

Most are missing a very important factor of TPB, one just as important as what to eat....

HOW DO I EAT? and more importantly, HOW DID GROK EAT? I found great success (lost 60 pounds in 4 months) by asking myself those few additional questions at the start of my primal journey (check out the post in my sig for more on this).

well done mikegee2 for contemplating those same questions.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Really interesting thread.

I think my single biggest factor to my weight and fat loss was something so simple as dropping breakfast. I haven't had breakfast for nearly 18 months and I don't miss it.

I think it is all about finding a routine which works for you.

My current structure is a 7-8 hour eating window (which is really just lunch and dinner) and 2 x 24 hr fasts a week.

I am considering doing the one meal thing but I work at a desk and I enjoy my big ass salads too much I think but I may trial it at some stage.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    I am considering doing the one meal thing but I work at a desk and I enjoy my big ass salads too much I think but I may trial it at some stage.
    Maybe try it 1~3 days a week? I dislike military discipline but knowing I have the ability to comfortably adjust to any schedule is an important positive signifier IMO.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

mikegee2 is offline Member
    Thanks to all...I am about 20 lbs over my "Actuarial weight", and I never listen to my wife...I'm a guy. I just began to watch her eat out of curiosity. I would say" eye of round and a little braised greens tonight..want some? and she would say nah..I had a big lunch today, still full".....And I started seeing that I ate out of habit the old dr. Pepper thing 10-2-4 no matter what. I watched all the lions on TV get almost distended with meat, their instincts knowing the next meal could be missed or stolen.

but I work all day. If I ate till I was satiated or over that I'd never see a patient all day. I'd be asleep. So I asked myself..If Grok ate what he killed and then hunted again knowing he might not eat tomorrow, then where is the median place? My CRON wife has eaten when she is hungry only for years. She says she never eats till she is satiated. So there must be something to not eating till satiation. Imo, This is extremely hard to do when you are on a "fixed" three meals a day schedule. This intermittent fasting looks interesting and I am reading the thread. I eat fairly low carb because I feel, like the person who said this here" I like veggies, I just don't feel obligated to them.

There is great stuff here to think about...This am I ate 3eggs and some bacon and a half an apple ...at 9:00. My wife just asked where will we eat today? I can't think about food, but if i went with her, I know I would eat. Is that just poor impulse control? I don't think so. But I don't know what it is other than habit. Fixing this will be tougher than fixing what I eat.

thanks for helping me to figure it out
    Mike

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I often think about that predatory instinct. For me, the notion of sitting down to eat but stopping short of fullness is the most demoralizing, cruel, unlivable thing ever. When people discuss 5-6 mini-meal plans it sounds like a vision of hell.

So I don't do it. Unfortunately my stomach could probably handle 3+ feasts a day but I know I only need 1 so I eat 1, and it tastes better with the mild appetite. Eating ~10 times a week might be seriously alarming to other people but I figure most people who eat poorly are conforming to modern culture so maybe we need to discard some of that.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    I'd just like to endorse pklopp's writing. I eat one meal a day because it's the only sustainable form of calorie restriction I've ever encountered. If I ever eat food before 4:00 PM, it literally ruins my day. I know it's silly to think of it in black and white terms like that, but past experience dictates that this is true for me.
    +1

Whenever I eat breakfast or brunch, I'm hungry for the rest of the day. I've tried three meals a day and it made me fat. When the recommendation became "grazing" or 4-6 meals a day, I just laughed. I like a big meal. Right weight or skinny or fat, I can eat like a male construction worker. If I did this three times a day, I'd weigh as much also - not good for a five foot five female. What I do is plan my eating just like any other to-do list. I plan my big meal (supper), and plan coffee or snacks around that. I get 50%+ of my calories from my main meal. It sounds hard, but it really isn't. It's just a matter of habit. Do it for six weeks, and bam! - it's a habit.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I like a big meal. Right weight or skinny or fat, I can eat like a male construction worker. If I did this three times a day, I'd weigh as much also...
    I can so identify with this.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I dislike military discipline but knowing I have the ability to comfortably adjust to any schedule is an important positive signifier IMO.
    This is one of my favorite things about the way my eating schedule has changed. I can not eat at a time when I might usually eat, and while I may be hungry, I'm not uncomfortable and function perfectly normally. When I began losing weight, my most desperate wish was to not care about food so much. Feeling as if any meal is truly optional is such a relief.

I do think fasting is good for me and I like the way it makes me feel. I'm not interested in craving it the way I used to crave food, so I'm not dogmatic about any kind of schedule. I skip breakfast and sometimes lunch on the weekends. I skip breakfast once or twice a week during the work week and have a small late breakfast and a small late lunch the other days. I have come to really dislike the feeling of being stuffed, so dinner is rarely more than 1200 calories and often less. At an average of 1700 cal/day, I'm still slowly losing weight without feeling like I'm depriving myself. That feels really nice. I may try longer than 20 hr fasts at some point. I don't know. Right now I'm just enjoying being at a normal weight, eating a normal amount of food and feeling no stress over any of it. I keep thinking "this is what thin people feel like their whole lives!"
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast