Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade larabars page

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member

Homemade larabars

Primal Fuel
    Do any of you make your own "larabars"
    My hubbys going to be away on a moterbike trip, end of this month and i was trying to think of good energy type things I can send with him that dont take up a lot of room.
    Ran across larabars but on looking at the ingredients am wondering if I couldent just make my own?

Are they blended smooth and formed into bars or chunky or?
    Any fav combinations?
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i think we get larabars here in our organic food store. incredibly expensive. i make raw fruit cake which you can make into bars. i have even made it into balls and dipped them in dark choc. i can dig out the recipe if you would like. i have also ground up things like cashews and apricots and dates and made bars. and then there are also the cocoa almond balls out the PB cookbook i think which i take tramping with us sometimes.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I guess a dollar each is pretty expensive when you think about it. 230 calories in the cashew cookie. it would take five of them to pass 1000 calories = $5.00. Wait, that's actually not a bad deal... I don't know now!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

well add on shipping to 'cause I found them at iherb in the US.. so id have to have them shipped over.. & then im sure customs would want to stick their paw in..
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    I looked into it but it was like the same price to buy them, as it was to make them, so I just buy them for $1.25 when I want one.
    *~Sara~*

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    They're so damn easy to make.

I get a kg of pitted dates (not medjool, but sayer dates, they're smaller and I think they taste better) for $5.

I put about 3/4c dates in my mini chopper and about 1/3 c. nuts, a couple tbsp toasted unsweetened coconut (I leave this out sometimes) and cocoa powder, a splash of vanilla, a couple scrinches of sea salt and pulse until it rolls up into a big ball in the processor. This makes 4 bars in around 65g each (yes, I'm a spaz and weigh them so they're the same). I don't eat them but my mister likes to take them in his lunch.

I switch the flavours up pretty much every time I make them. His fave is cocoa, coconut and roasted cashews, although he said macs make a moister bar. He also likes when I throw some cacao nibs in there, he says it adds a nice crunch.

I've left out the cocoa and used some pumpkin pie spice and subbed pecans before, he loves those.

The combinations are endless and they're so cheap to make I can't justify buying them.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've never tried them, but you can see the ingredients listed on their products page as a guide. Ingredients are listed most first, least last. You could make any of them.

Thanks thats pretty much the info I was looking for.. so im guessing the dates work as the sweeter & binder, & I could add any dried fruit, nuts etc to obtain the desired flavor....

crap.. I thought I had a bag of dates in the cupboard.. looks like somebody snarfed them....

little vase is online now Senior Member
    lemontwisst nailed it. That's your basic recipe...nuts and dates. That's the base of every lara bar. If you use those two things whatever third thing you add can become a major flavor. Dark chocolate? Yes, please. My personal favorite is adding dried cherries. So amazing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast