Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade larabars page 2

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    How long would these last without refrigeration? I suppose you could vacuum seal them, but that seems like a waste (plastic).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    How long would these last without refrigeration? I suppose you could vacuum seal them, but that seems like a waste (plastic).
    I wrap mine individually in wax paper or kraft paper and tie them with string or tape them. They've been delicious as long as they last. Which so far has been almost a month! They usually are nabbed immediately by anyone who sees them but occasionally I hide a few and they're still great after a few weeks. Nothing I use requires refrigeration so the shelf life seems to be decent. You could always keep them in the fridge though.

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    I stock up on Larabars when I can get them at .50 per bar. I do this with a .75/3 coupon printed from coupons.com, doubled at a store that has them on sale for $1.

Ya know, I've tried many different flavors but the only one I really like is Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. In my opinion, it is the best.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    I love them all except the cookie/chocolate varieties. My favorites are the new Key Lime Pie and Lemon Bar. Damn!

I need to make some of these. If I do I'll try to stop being lazy and actually document the process.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    They only carry four or five flavours of them here in Canada, and the cheapest I've ever seen them is $1, by buying a box of 16 for $16. And we don't get to do rad things like doubling coupons here, either.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    The Cashew Cookie is my favorite.

I rarely see them as low as $1, but I stock up when they're that cheap!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I guess a dollar each is pretty expensive when you think about it. 230 calories in the cashew cookie. it would take five of them to pass 1000 calories = $5.00. Wait, that's actually not a bad deal... I don't know now!
    It's expensive compared to buying in bulk and making your own.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    I make them a lot. Just throw the dates into a food processor and process until you get a big ball. Add whatever goodies you like (in the food processor or transfer to a bowl and mix by hand, great workout!), then spread it out on an 8 x 8 pan (use parchment paper to avoid sticking, bottom and top) and press to compact. Easy peasy!

Also, if you have a Grocery Outlet in your area, you can find a box of 16 for $5.99, quite the deal! Do watch out for the Uber Lara bars if you are grain free (brown rice syrup), though as a once in a blue moon quick snack they are pretty good.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't care if it costs more to make them yourself. I find most of the Lara bars have a strange taste to them. They taste more like sour raisins to me than dates.

I have found imported pressed dates at an Asian market. It's probably possible to find something similar elsewhere. It's basically dates already smooshed up into a block. You could probably use those date things with the coconut on them as a base, too. I've used this stuff to make bars by hand since I don't have a food processor (yet).
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    Lara bars are available at Costco - at least the stores in Calgary - not sure the price as I don't buy them often but IIRC it works out to 0.50 per bar. The only thing is it is a box with only 3 standard flavours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast