Thread: need help sleeping page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

need help sleeping

Shop Now
    Sleeping has become a real issue for me recently. I've two issues going on.

1. waking up during sleep. I'm sometimes choking or unable to breathe.

2. waking up in the morning with my left leg bent at an angle away from my body (lying on my back, other leg straight) with excruciating pain in my knee.

I don't seem to be able to get my leg out of this position without slowly easing it, and masses of pain. I don't know HOW I get my leg into this position during sleep as it's not a way I sit or lie down, generally, and I don't fall asleep like that!

Does anyone have any advice?

I realize that for for my first problem, I probably have sleep apnea.

I've been googleing around for a cure - C-Pap machine seems the obvious answer, but I also found this video on the relationship between Vit D (sunlight) and sleep. (She talks really fast, difficult to keep up, but presents a very convincing argument!)

has anyone had benefits to sleep apnea from vit D ?

For my second problem - well, what should I do? Tie my legs together with a belt?

My inside knee is in agony today, and I'm really afraid that some lasting damage might be done to the joint, if I don't find a way of stopping this night time sleeping position.
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Great video link, her information sounds quite credible.

Has anything in your life changed significantly recently, diet, job, personal stress etc.?
    As for your sleep issues, are you maintaining regular sleep & wake times?
    Are these aligned to the day/night cycles?
    Have you eliminated evening TV, Computer, iPhone use etc., the blue light from these devices disturbs our circadian rhythms.
    What is your evening lighting like, it should be in the amber tones, flouro's & LED's are blue light and disrupt our rhythms.

I assume you are going to get your vitamin D checked and may be worth discussing your sleep issues with your doctor.
    Try some relaxing herbal teas in the evening like chamomile & valerian.

As for the leg issue, in the short term you may have to do some sort of tie up, but don't just strap your ankles together, better to leave enough slack for legs to move around a bit, but not enough to get the left leg get fully bent up, so something like convict ankle tethers, so you have enough movement to shuffle around, say 12-18" between ankles.

Very interested to see how you go.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    a knee support put on when you go to bed will probably stop the knee getting in such an extreme position ( i have bouts of a similar problem with my left hand- loose ligaments from an injury many years ago when i came off a motorbike but didn't let go of the handlebar like an idiot). Sometimes the tension differs so if i have a bad night i wear the brace for a few nights ,if i don't it tends to get worse.
    with sleep apnoea its depends if you're overweight. if you aren't try the vit D if you are you can try vit d but it isnt as likely to help but the nose strips might.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    ^I am not overweight and I have sleep apnea.

I've never found a correlation with my sleep apnea and diet. Occurrences of waking up choking/gasping definitely reduced when I cut wheat out of my regular diet, but it still happens sometimes. How are your (seasonal) allergies?

I have supplemented Vitamin D very highly in the morning for the past year+, so I don't know for sure if that has helped as well. I recommend it anyway. Worth a shot!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thanks for the replies, guys.

The video is great, isn't it Omni... I'm always so happy when I see medical doctors thinking outside of the realm of pills, pills and more pills. Sunlight and sleep - who'd of thought!
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

dont you get plenty of sun in thailand?

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    dont you get plenty of sun in thailand?
    There is plenty, but I tend to avoid it! It's currently 40 +. I can't stand it! It's toooooo hot! Lol. AC rocks and I don't want to look like an old leather handbag when I'm older.

I realise with everything I'm reading about vit d my
    attitude might have to change. Lol

I have to be real careful with the sun, I've had 5 melanomas and 1 basal cell removed so my sun exposure is severely limited, 10 mins max of full sun then factor 50 but I'm in England so its not a constant problem
    can you get a stretchy knee support there?. If not i could send you one they arent expensive.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    That's a great video, Thank you.

She says all sleep problems, including apnea, are caused by having Vit. D3 outside the correct range, which should be 80-100. If your Vit D, by D-hydrox 25 (not 125), is outside that range you will have sleep problems of a wide variety of types. She also says that paralysis, including choking or unable to breathe always happens to everyone in a particular phase of sleep. It seems to be required for healing the body. (Of course it shouldn't be happening when you are awaking.)

She says to take large doses of Vit. D3 to achieve, and then to maintain, your Vit. D within those levels. As to how large, possibly up to 10,000 iu daily but to be very very careful on the dosage and to have your Vit. D checked every two months until you can maintain it steadily. She also says never to take Vit. D2.

She says a C-Pap machine will help while you are adjusting your Vit. D levels.

I suspect that as she learns more she will determine a seperate range in Summer from Winter.

IMO try sleeping on your side. Also, try sleeping on a futon on the floor.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase