Thread: Tinea versicolor page

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member

Tinea versicolor

Primal Fuel
    Anyone else suffer from this? Any natural cures that work? It really discolors the skin on my back so I'm about ready to get an anti-fungal prescription for summer. I hate the idea that, but hate the idea of funky looking skin worse!

Slinkykitty is offline Member
    I had that for years and it was near impossible to get rid of. In the end I end up taking Nizoral tablets ( anti fungal) and It's never come back since.
    One of my daughters had it recently ( very minor) and coconut oil seemed to help her.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    this sounds a bit odd but washing the affected areas with an antidandruff shampoo helps quite a lot of people. Ive never suffered myself but have a friend who used to. apparently the same yeast strain often causes dandruff on the scalp. I just messaged her and she says she did it twice daily and used "head & shoulders " for a couple of months ,even though it cleared up before that she wanted to make sure.
    It might be worth a try

VADogWalker is offline Member
    It's interesting to read this as I've had it on my upper back and shoulderblades for about a year. I went primal in September and hoped the coconut oil would have some effect but it hasn't helped at all. My doctor gave me a special body wash/cream to use and while I haven't been diligent about using it as much as I should it hasnt really helped it at all.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    this sounds a bit odd but washing the affected areas with an antidandruff shampoo helps quite a lot of people. Ive never suffered myself but have a friend who used to. apparently the same yeast strain often causes dandruff on the scalp. I just messaged her and she says she did it twice daily and used "head & shoulders " for a couple of months ,even though it cleared up before that she wanted to make sure.
    It might be worth a try
    I'm pretty sure it's actually the other kind of dandruff shampoo that's supposed to work on the tinea yeast. The blue one.

Also, I hate to say it, but iodine.

Back in the olden days, I had the same mold on my scalp once (tinea capitis). Had to take the lamisil pills, because the creams weren't working. It was really tough on me, and I'd get sick to my stomach when working out. But it cleared it up, and I think my liver has recovered. But I'd avoid that if possible.

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I had that for years and it was near impossible to get rid of. In the end I end up taking Nizoral tablets ( anti fungal) and It's never come back since.
    One of my daughters had it recently ( very minor) and coconut oil seemed to help her.
    I've been taking Nizoral almost every spring for years to clear it up, but it always comes back. I don't want to rely on medication, but I hate the look of it on my back. It looks like I have some sort of disease!

I consume tons of coconut oil, so I'm assuming you mean coconut oil on affected areas? I will have to try that.

It might be worth a try
    I'm pretty sure it's actually the other kind of dandruff shampoo that's supposed to work on the tinea yeast. The blue one.
    I scrub with the 'blue' one. No help.

Also, I hate to say it, but iodine.

Back in the olden days, I had the same mold on my scalp once (tinea capitis). Had to take the lamisil pills, because the creams weren't working. It was really tough on me, and I'd get sick to my stomach when working out. But it cleared it up, and I think my liver has recovered. But I'd avoid that if possible.
    This just sounds unpleasant!

I was also hoping Primal would be a 'cure' but no such luck. Sun hits the back and the ugly white spots show up