Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falling back on Grok Squat page

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member

Falling back on Grok Squat

Primal Fuel
    I can perform back squats during my weight lifting routine, and I can go all the way down. I have done them for a long time. However, when I try to perform a simple squat just to sit down, I can't balance myself and I fall back. Does this take practice or time? Am I weak in some area? I can squat all the way down with my hamstrings touching my calves, with my weight on my heels. I try to lean forward to gain balance, but can't seem to do it. Help...

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member
    hmmm not to sure, how are you with body weight squats?

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    John, I had similar difficulties learning the Grok Squat. I still topple over from time to time (I'd get laughed out of a hunter-gatherer village for sure). I think some tips are to get all of your feet on the ground, not just the balls, keep a wide stance, and reach your arms out directly forward, which helps both with balance and increasing the stretch.

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member
    Do you have your feet parallel or slanted outward--away from each other?
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Mav3rick is offline Senior Member
    Can someone please post a link to a "grok squat"? I know I saw it in the blog somewhere but I can't find it anymore.

Eveready is offline Junior Member
    My first thought would be flexibility issues or tension. With weight on your back it helps push you into the deep squat. When doing it unweighted you may be pushing your hips too far back. You may want to try some goblet squats with a light weight and settle down into it while prying your hips open with your elbows.

Kevin

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    according to some info in convict conditioning it has to do with the muscles on the front of the shin. just practice, practice, practice and build those muscles. you should be able to do this while keeping your foot/feet flat on the ground. This really comes into play for anyone who is doing or planning on doing pistols.
    I grok, therefore I am.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice from everyone. My weighted squats are good. I am 5'9", 165, and I am squatting about 250 pounds right now. That's what I work out with multiple sets. So, imagine my 1 rep max to be about 275 or so? I squat all the way down to just below parallel.

I just want to figure out how to sit down and relax in that squat position. I guess I will just have to practice. I am keeping my feet about shoulder width or slightly wider apart. My toes are pointed and aligned with my knees. My feet are flat with my weight on my heels. I just can't balance myself in a relaxed position since my body wants to fall back. Therefore, there must be some muscle regarding my balance that I need to work on.

Maybe Lovestoclimb is correct, and it's something in my shins.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    John, I'm anxiously awaiting Mark's blog post today. Ankle flexibility could be causing the problem you're having. Try it with your feet pointed out about thirty degrees and see what happens.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i'll find the exerpt when i have a moment and post it here.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast