Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal- Trigirl page

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal- Trigirl

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So a quick run down of where I am starting from. I am a 24 year old 5'6" to 5'7" female with about 20-25 # to lose. I have been eating primal/low carb for 6.5 weeks. The currently working dx for my health is Lupus so I just managed to get off prednisone 2.5 weeks ago- actually with the help of the different WOE. I have been unable to lose the 20# I put on when I became severely depressed 5 years ago despite excessive exercise, calorie restriction, triathlon training with targeted 500 cals less than expending each day, all manners of CW methods until my body shut down a little over a year ago and pain/brain fog/unbearable fatigue/muscle weakness became my daily life and I could no longer workout. In fact, my doctor told me to take month off. So I went on Schwarzbein Principle attempting to heal what I thought was either adrenal fatigue or CFS but turned out to be autoimmune 4 months later when I was finally diagnosed. I have been gluten free/cow's milk dairy free for over a year though have slipped up with cow's milk a few times and did eat gluten-free grains and generally lower fat, no beef, no soy. Then I started PB and of course dropped all grains at all. As of 5 weeks ago I moved my carbs below 50 grams, usually <30, dropped fruit, dropped nuts. As of today I also no longer have any dairy (including goat/sheep) and trying to avoid nightshades (so mostly bell peppers is all I was eating).
    I had some positive results the first 4.5 weeks- according to my nutritionists bioimpedence I lost a total of 6.5 # of fat, though only gained .25# lean mass. Then I just found out today that I gained 2# of fat back, but I am really trying not to focus on that (if it is even accurate as I just got my menses) and instead try and feel better and hope the weight comes off.
    I really want to use this journal to track how I am feeling day in day out and see if I can pick any habits that may be linked to how I am doing physically.

So today I deliberately did not track my food online as I am trying to go two weeks without doing so to get out of obsessive phase. I did walk about 45 total though. I also have a massive migraine for the second day in a row, brain fog I think from too little fat at lunch (I went out to mexican so only guacamole and the olive oil in house made salad dressing) which hopefully fades because I have a final tonight!

Food for today:

B: 3 eggs, 4 slices bacon, 1/2 c cooked cauliflower, 1 tsp fish oil
    L: 1/2 c shredded braised beef, 1/2 c cooked chicken, 1 c salad with 1 tbsp shredded carrots and cabbage, 1 tbsp plain lime vinaigrette, 1/4 c guacomole, 2 tbsp salsa (definitely not enough fat)
    S: 1/3 c chicken salad as was so fogged up in the brain with no energy, probably 1.25 tbsp coconut oil, 1.5 oz turkey, 1/4 c coconut milk

now will probably not eat dinner as I am feeling "fat" most likely from having that mental "you gained 2# of fat" mocking me in my own head and because snack got away from me not to mention I have a final anyways. Maybe I should get rid of the coconut milk, I tend to just snack on it after meals once a day if I feel like I want more or maybe that's just CW telling me that its a dessert and thus a no no (with no sugar...somehow...)
    Last edited by trigirl85; 05-14-2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: conciseness
    Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~Ambrose Bierce

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

So ended up doing an impromptu 16 hour IF as I did not eat dinner last night. I always feel really good during 16-18 hour fasts and then I eat and start to feel crappy...how does this happen? But today, I woke up and did my usual friday 45 min 10 # kettle ball/core routine with supersets of two each at a time usually arm/leg or ab/leg supersets:
    3 x 15 sumo deadlifts 10#
    3 x 15 bicep curls 10#
    3 x 15 one armed lifts 10#
    3 x 15 one-armed rows 10#
    3 x 15 tricep kick backs 10#
    3 x 20 3 # weighted leg lifts
    2 x 1 min plank
    3 x 20 kettleball balancing twisting core (no sure the name here) 10#
    3 x 15 bell squats 10#

I always feel good after doing some lifting, much stronger in my head and body and am probably going to make this a 2x week workout replacing one of my bodyweight ones and hopefully graduating to a 15# kettleball. I also finished with 15 min meditation which is something I am re-committing to do at least 5 x a week. I've let it get away from me except during Savasana during my 3x a week yoga and I really need to be able to get back to myself especially to mitigate the anxiety/lack of control that comes up around trying to lose weight. I also threw in 45 min walking.

So food:
    B: 1 egg, 4 oz peameal bacon minus the cornmeal so I guess just pea-bacon otherwise known as REAL canadian bacon so essentially brined pork loin , 1 c frozen spinach, 1 tsp fish oil, 1.5-2 tbsp coconut oil, green tea
    L: will be a BAS with jicama, shaved carrots, 8 oz lump crab meat cooked in coconut oil, 1/4 avocado, 2 slices bacon with warm bacon vinaigrette using drippings
    D: its a tasting menu for my brother's wedding in the fall but at a place I used to cook at where they have deer/elk/wild boar on property and cook all game meat so in other words looking to be pretty primal but some butter may slip into the food

I feel pretty good after breakfast this morning so hopefully will last rest of the day!

Turns out two slices of bacon does not a vinaigrette make then my avocado went a little south in the fridge over two days leaving me performing last minute surgery so coconut oil made a comeback in order to score some fat.

As i was making the bacon vinaigrette I had this image of maybe the one other time in my life I had a bacon vinaigrette and how it was spent with half my brain humming with pleasure while the other half was standing watch expecting the low-fat gods to strike me down where I sat (or at the very least demand 60 min of cardio for tribute). It's a little sad how most of my life was spent drowning out the pleasures of food, even through culinary school, with this constant siren wailing in the back of my head saying "Halt! Turn back before that pat of butter makes its way to your thighs!" Now even though I don't eat any starch I look forward to every meal. My culinary creativity that was always stunted when cooking at home for myself by CW rules and rigidity is making a loud, glorious comeback. Now if only I can make it through these two weeks without butter and find that I can tolerate it after all...
    Last edited by trigirl85; 05-21-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: additions
    Edible, adj.: Good to eat, and wholesome to digest, as a worm to a toad, a toad to a snake, a snake to a pig, a pig to a man, and a man to a worm. ~Ambrose Bierce

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

Last night's meal wasn't exactly what I was planning on but it was my brother's tasting menu for his wedding in the fall so I did what I could. Actually, the only things that I could have done without was the butter and cream because I was trying to avoid it and I had 4 strawberries that had a little bit of vanilla turbindo sugar sprinkled on them so that was actually the only non-primal thing really. I suppose if I look at it as me having a bit more carbs, so maybe had 50-60 g yesterday instead of 30 then it was probably a good break or shock for my body having been lower carb. Of course, I try to avoid sugar at all but I don't think planets are going to collide and the world come to a fiery end because a little bit of sugar was ingested.

We'll just have to stay tuned to see on that one...

Anyways, officially starting no dairy for two weeks today. No goat butter, sadly, which is pretty much all I was using except for the few times I had regular butter when I went out. Onward and upward with it. I picked up a ton of venison sausage/snck sticks made by my chef friend there so preservative free, local, and delicious. Have a HIIT with 45 min walk there/back scheduled for today going to sprint this incredibly long wooden staircase by Bebe lake aiming for 5 times. Last time I made it 4 before I became too dizzy and the metallic taste/chest congestion made me stop. Of course its been 2 weeks since then as I've had a lousy 2 weeks after going off prednisone but today feel good. So I'm going after it.
    B: 2 venison sausage links, 2.5 scrambled eggs, 2 slices bacon, some red bell pepper and broccoli
    L: Planning on BAS with steak (5 oz) cooked in coconut oil, jicama, zucchini, homemade roasted garlic-dijon dressing
    -->mad brain-fog about 1 hour after lunch, hmm raw vegetables, less than optimal sleep, or allergic reaction to studying finance...I am inclined to blame the latter
    S: 1 venison snack stik- dee-lish
    D: Roast chicken (6 oz), roasted asparagus

Unfortunately I only got 6 hours of sleep last night as I was catching up with chef friends- friends who thankfully don't bug me about not drinking when they are. Otherwise known as true friends, which is nice. But my body takes to not sleeping 8 hours like I tried to drink myself under the table the night before so hello hangover body. I think it's part of the whole autoimmune mess, but I hope when I get into remission I can actually have a drink once in 6 months and not fear staying up a little late one night. I did get my 15 min meditation in though.
    Last edited by trigirl85; 05-16-2010 at 04:53 PM.

In need of a quick emotional purging. Last night before I had to drive over to the tasting dinner, I tried on a pair of dress pants that haven't fit properly since new years and I found that finally the buttons closed, was still too tight over my lower stomach but they were fricken tighter on my thighs!! WTF??? I do not have small thighs. They are in fact what us bigger, athletic women call "thunder thighs" and frankly always have been even at 17% BF though they are bigger now than they used to be so they should NOT be growing just because I started using a freakin 10# kettleball with an emphasis on squatting. So I basically had an emotional snap after that and my nutritionist telling me i gained 2# of fat the day before and yelled at my body to start being an a-hole and let me lose weight like a normal person for ONCE in my freakin life. Needless to say, our relationship has always been strained and it's always a struggle to find the common ground of acceptance especially after I got an autoimmune disease and can't help feeling a bit betrayed by it as I don't know too many other 24 year olds having the same problems.

Life is a journey after all, even the painful, shady parts.
    Last edited by trigirl85; 05-15-2010 at 10:14 AM.

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

Man, I was exhausted this morning! I went to bed around 11 pm planning to wake up at my usual 730 for sundays but literally felt like a truck had hit me and hit the snooze until 9. It must have been the HIIT coupled with only 6 hours of sleep the night before as far as I can tell which squelched my plans to do power yoga this morning as my body is not up for it remotely so it'll have to be walking with my 20# messenger bag to the library today and of course 15 min meditation. I tend to forget or disregard the fact that I am still recovering my an autoimmune disease and have to take it slower than most people because my body is super-sensitive. Sometimes I wish I could go back to the days I could do 2 x 2 hour swim workouts and weights in the same day and not feel half as bad as I do after one HIIT workout. Then I remember that those kind of workouts are what messed up my body to begin with (coupled with constant diet mentality and I am sure eating gluten/low fat) but I am hopeful that some day I will regain that energy again and that I will continue to remain smart enough not to abuse it.

As far as food goes, I was going to start an every other day carnivore day today but I don't want to risk severe brain fog when I have two finals in the next two days by going under 20 g even though I am not positive whether going from 30-40 g to 10 g would really do much since I've been eating that low for 6 weeks.

B: 3 eggs, 4 slices bacon, 1 tsp fish oil---> felt bomb after, brain fog set in just before lunch , ugh
    L: chorizo and leftover chicken sauteed with coconut oil, spinach, and bell peppers
    D: 6 oz mahi mahi seared in coconut oil with homemade dairy-free pesto, also snacked on some coconut milk while I was rummaging around fridge for pesto ingredients

So not sure what is going on, bad after lunch brain fog and my hands/arms are doing weird under coordinated thing where they feel stiff and i feel like im living in fog. not the best study situation. Maybe I should look into adding some sweet potatoes or something because I'm past the initial low-carb flu phase.

FYI: If you ever have the opportunity to get a fresh, pasture-raised chicken from the farmer's market or a farm from eatwild.com- DO IT! They are so amazingly moist, tender, and delicious that you will never again use the phrase "It tastes like chicken". I have a favorite meat purveyor at our farmer's market here in Ithaca who has the best nitrate-free smoked bacon/chorizo, pasture-raised pork, chicken, and grass-fed beef which I am sorely going to miss when I move to germantown for the summer. The search is on for a replacement farmers market in Montgomery County, Md...so if you are reading this and know of one please share the wealth!
    Last edited by trigirl85; 05-18-2010 at 08:05 AM.

Evita is offline Senior Member
    Trigirl, thanks for sharing your story! Your diet looks great, and I know that numbers and people are quite depressing when mixed, ex- that two # fat day.
    I look forward to seeing your progress, Im right in your age range at 23, and attempting to be a grok star too!
    Grok on!

Thanks for stopping by! It's so great to see some many people our age really taking charge of their lifestyle plus everyone on this forum is just bursting with great information.
    Last edited by trigirl85; 05-16-2010 at 04:54 PM.

So I decided that it would be a little irresponsible of myself to go to power yoga knowing a) it leaves me wrecked which tends to impact thinking, b) I need all the time I can steal to study for my final tonight. So I decided to do a mix bodyweight/kettleball workout and start the 100 pushup program that Batty mentioned on a thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/showthread.php?8568-Body-Composition-for-Women since I really only had a vague idea on how to go about improving my push up performance and now I have a great online program telling me what to do! I always end up doing my strength fasted in the morning after I wake up and find that the one time I did do it between bkfast and lunch I did not notice too much of a difference. I have this wild idea that my nightly 12-13 hours fasts plus strength training fasted will lead to more LBM. We'll see in a month or so I suppose...maybe all those push-ups will give me the ripped back I always wanted when I was swimming, or at the very least some of my back fat will melt way and reveal some definition. What's interesting is I have always had a very muscular body but none of my muscle groups ever "looked" ripped and defined. My arms are big, and I am not even really big-boned, and even at 17% BF they pretty much looked like they do now- maybe a bit smaller if I really scrutinize the pic and I was curling 20# on each arm back then! So for me all the strength training is less about looking ripped, as I have no evidence that my body could get that way unless I went below 17% BF and that is not really healthy for me. It's more about feeling stronger in my body especially after not being able to physically workout last summer due to Lupus and having to give up my athletic activities that really had defined me until then. Of course, the plus was I finally got it through my head that there is a lot more to life than getting to the gym or doing triathlon workouts everyday which was healthy for me.

Strength Workout:
    Day 1 Push-up program: Max 15
    3 x 15 weighted lying leg lifts
    3 x 15 10 # kettleball sumo deadlift
    2 x 10 squat jumps
    2 x 1 min plank
    2 x 30 second side plank each side
    3 x 20 10# balancing twisting core
    3 x 12 tricep drip
    3 x 15 10# bell squat

Food:
    b: 2 Venison Breakfast sausage links cooked in coconut oil, 2 eggs, 1 tsp fish oil
    l: BAS with 5 oz tuna, jicama, carrot, guacamole, homemade roasted garlic dijon vinaigrette, 4 thin slices proscuitto (like crack to me) - wow was really tired after lunch- HUGE drop in energy, carbs?
    s: 1 venison snack stick, some chorizo, 1 tbsp coconut oil
    d: IF- just no time with final at 7 pm and don't like eating right before bed

So out of curiosity to see how food was going because I have been so satisfied/not hungry for so long after my meals I typed this one in (I know, I said 2 weeks...curiosity and cats and all...)
    Calories: 1376 P: 102g F: 100g C: 15g so percentages would be about 29.7% P, 65.4% F, 4.4% C
    The ratios seem good although fat could be higher but then again I am Ifing for dinner...
    Really not feeling slimmer though, actually starting to feel "bigger" maybe due to feeling not hungry all the time but not "light" either. If anyone can see reason why, please do explain! I should probably weigh in here soon to check it out, but I will admit I am afraid to.
    Last edited by trigirl85; 05-18-2010 at 12:58 PM.

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

So after getting demolished by a final last night (I mean why bother with a practice final if you don't even mention half of the information that you are actually putting on the final) I am gearing up for my last one. 8 hours with 6 of those dedicated to studying so off we go...

B: 3-egg omelet with 4 slices bacon, spinach, 1 tsp fish oil- ok brain fog made a comeback when it didn't after the carnivore bkfast yesterday as well as stiff fingers, hands, mouth feels funny, stomach issues and this happened when I had spinach before as well....hmm
    L: 6 oz ribeye, homemade dairy-free pesto, 3 slices proscuitto, bite of chorizo. 1 red bell pepper- was really tired after lunch although had benedryl with stomach pains
    D: venison hot italian sausage with leftover chicken cooked in avocado oil

Ok, just discovered something crazy when I was searching for spinach and autoimmune reactions and found Histamine Intolerance which includes spinach, chicken, eggs, dairy, shellfish, any cured foods and talked about how fibromyalgia, Crohns disease, and gulf war syndrome have been linked to it. It's crazy, because I have had these odd reactions- my mouth feeling funny, jaw getting stiff, fingers and body getting stiff and just thought it was a weird Lupus thing but I have had dermagraphsim for years now (where I can write on my skin and it'll stay for quite awhile) which means you have high histamine levels but never thought two seconds about it other than when a mosquito bites me and I swell up like a balloon (then I curse it). Looks like I am going to have to try this low-histamine diet for 2 weeks and see what happens...

Definitely ate something bad...stomach etc. was not amused this afternoon not sure what I ate that was bad though...
    Last edited by trigirl85; 05-19-2010 at 04:34 AM.

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

Finals are done...WOOT! It's also so anticlimactic when they are because you build it up and look forward to it and then...you still have stuff to do like pack to go home and for internship. But next Sunday I will be a Kripalu for 6 days so I am definitely looking forward to that (though not looking forward to no beef or pork products) to transition to work mode for the summer. Although I am so happy to he ABLE to work this summer after Lupus wrecked me for last summer leaving me paranoid of having to so much as climb stairs because it would lay me out each time.

Only bodyweight and one random weighted row because i got worried that all these push-ups from the 100 push up program were going to unbalance my upper body. Plus 45 min of walking later today.

Strength
    Week 1, Day 2 10 Pushup Program, Max: 17
    3 x 20 bicycles
    3 x 15 13.5 # bent over back rows (weighed books)
    3 x 1 min plank
    2 x :30 second side plank, each side
    2 x 1:00 wall sits
    3 x 12 tricep dips

B: 1 egg (just to tide over until meet gals for brunch)
    L: 6 oz steak, 2 eggs, 1 side salad oil and vinegar, 3 walnuts
    S: 1 venison snack stick, .5 T coconut oil, 2 oz chorizo, 4 macadamia nuts
    D: Macadamia and coconut flour encrusted fresh caught Brooke Trout (yum!) pan fried in coconut oil with sauteed swiss chard

P.S. I got my Vibrams today!!
    Last edited by trigirl85; 05-19-2010 at 03:10 PM.

(R)evolutionary Cuisine

My Journal

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast