Thread: 23yo Triathlete needs to lose 23. page

irunprimal is offline Junior Member

23yo Triathlete needs to lose 23.

Primal Fuel
    Hi my name is Christy, and I am embarking on a primal journey to lose 20 pounds.
    I am currently 23 years old, 5'10 and 163lbs. Here is some background: in 2007 as a 17 year old I weighed 142 had great health stats and was active, in many different school sports. Before my freshmen year of college, I wanted to lose weight to be a faster runner in cross country. I cut refined carbs and most all fats from my diet. By the time I came home after my first year of college, I weighed 120 and looked skeletal. I had nearly a full blown ED, but was running faster times on the track. It was a very dark time and all I thought about was food and running faster. Luckily, my coach told me this was unsustainable, so I intentionally put on 10 pounds even though I was scared it would slow me down. The next 3 years, I trained hard and ate a CW diet with plenty of indulgences. By the time I graduated from college, I was back at 140 and running my fastest yet. I felt strong, invincible to injury, and powerful. After graduating, I felt guilty about all the time I spent running and since I was no longer on a scholarship, and wanted to focus more on finding a career. I went through periods of loneliness and felt purposeless and I ate as comfort. I decided to take a month off of running and eat whatever I wanted because I had pretty much given up trying to yoyo diet. When I stepped on the scale last week at 163, I was mortified. I have always been "that skinny girl" so its a really weird place for me to be overweight.
    Goals
    - Lose 23 pounds by August. I start grad school in September, so I want to be fit before I have to buckle down and study!
    - Lose the weight with out falling back into my ED mindset. Read: If I have dreams about eating pizza and spitting it out because I feel guilty, I know I've gone too far.
    - Complete my first triathalon. After many disappointing road races over the last year, I need something new. I'm planing to include primal fitness into my plan (even though this is chronic cardio). I have added sprints, hills, plyo-metrics and weight lifting to my training plan.
    - Currently my diet is probably 75-25 primal. I debate the idea of going 95% because I know I will lose weight faster. However, I tend to over eat nuts when I am super strict Primal.

Here I begin my journey! Any Suggestions welcome :)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irunprimal View Post
    - Lose 23 pounds by August. I start grad school in September, so I want to be fit before I have to buckle down and study!
    uhhh have fun fasting until August?
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

The end of August might sound pretty short. However, I usually lose weight really fast when I actually try. The problem is I can sometimes try too hard or Im scared to try at all. The whole 30 I was down 12lbs after the first 16 days, but went crazy after... so I have to find something sustainable.
    Last edited by irunprimal; 05-15-2013 at 02:40 PM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    What was it about the whole 30 that triggered you to go crazy?

Smalward is offline Junior Member
    Wow that sounds so similar to my story. I joined the army when I was 23 and had my son at 25. I had a rough pregnancy so I put on 60 lbs. when I went back to work and PT after maternity leave I was mortified at my new über slow run time. So I just started running and going to the gym all the time. I did end up with full blown ED. I have been to treatment programs and in outpatient therapy since 2009. I was even medically retired because of it. I'm only 5 feet tall but my lowest weight was last year, 52 lbs. I seriously almost died more than a couple of times. I'm pretty jacked up right now but hoping to get better. I would love to start running again, but at 78 lbs and osteoporosis I know the risk of injury is too great. I started Paleo after a Dr suggested it to me when I ran into all sorts of food intolerance issues after I started eating again. I'm still learning every day but I believe I'm 99-100% Paleo. I'm just an all or nothing kinda person. My best advice to you is just that, go extreme Paleo/Primal. What do you have to lose? As long as you can keep ED away. If you want something bad enough you can find the strength to make it happen. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    What was it about the whole 30 that triggered you to go crazy?
    Even though I felt great and completed all 30 days, I started really missing some old favorites like dark chocolate, oatmeal and greek yogurt. Of course this is expected and requires will power, I'm not discounting that. However, I started to view diet as all or nothing. Either I was eating whole 30 approved or I was not. If I wasn't then might as well mess up big time (terrible logic I know). Then I got started on this whole thing of "Im going to do another whole 30 after this week" again and again...

Wow thanks for the advice and sharing your story. I'm always hesitant to tell others about my paleo lifestyle because most of them now about my ED past, I also hate making others accommodate for me (Im living at home until september). It might just be the habit of always keeping my eating habits secret. 99% sounds tempting though, because the 75/25 hasnt given me very good results.