Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which fitness route to choose?? page

Kathryn Watts is offline Junior Member

Which fitness route to choose??

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, I'm at a bit of a crossroads, and I need help!

I've been paleo for about a year and a half, but due to being in school and working, I never have gotten serious about working out regularly. Sure, I walk to class, and every once in a while I'll rollerblade or do some body weight workouts, but I need an actual plan.

Right now I am looking at a few options, but money and time constraints says I can't do them all, and I don't know which would be most beneficial. I really want to tone and shape muscles, and also loose fat (of course, I'm sure you've all been here). I'm about 5'9", about 150lbs and athletic, but pretty flabby due to the lack of exercise over the last few years (ha).

So here's what I'm considering.
    1. Joining the local YMCA and doing group exercise classes. They have stuff like Yoga, Pilates, BODYPUMP (barbell class, maybe legit lifting, maybe not. I can't really tell from the description). They also have an outdoor lap pool that I would take advantage of in the spring and summer for sure.
    2. Martial arts. I'm not %100 what kind (that's another thing I'm fuzzy on). But being a young single girl, I've always thought it would be a good plan. I'm just not sure if it would be best fitness wise.
    3. Parkour. There is a gym nearby that offers parkour classes and some open gym time afterwards once a week. Of course, I would have to do something else with this I think.

So time and money wise I can either do 1, 2, 3, 1 and 3, or 2 and 3, but not 1 and 2, or all of them. I'm open to any other suggestions as well. I don't think personal training, or crossfit, is an option though, way too expensive for my budget.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Is it possible to join the Y, use their weight room on your own schedule, and find resources on your own to set up a proper beginner program?

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    The best fitness program to do is the one that you will do. You should give thought to what will make a program stick. Is it the structure of a class? Is it the motivation that comes from seeing progressive gains? Is it diversity of activities to stave off boredom? Is it a community of like-minded people involved in a common pursuit?

Next, give thought to your starting point and your goals. Different paths can be very effective and you will see threads here with endless arguments about which is best, etc. While many paths can take you to a fit place, not sticking with it is the surest way to NOT get fit.

Lack of money is not a fatal flaw - you can get seriously fit at home with nothing more than a $20 pull-up bar invested.

That's possible eKatherine. I have read Starting Strength. The only thing stopping me is a lack of a spotter. I need to start bugging my friends about going to the gym with me

Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    The best fitness program to do is the one that you will do. You should give thought to what will make a program stick. Is it the structure of a class? Is it the motivation that comes from seeing progressive gains? Is it diversity of activities to stave off boredom? Is it a community of like-minded people involved in a common pursuit?

Next, give thought to your starting point and your goals. Different paths can be very effective and you will see threads here with endless arguments about which is best, etc. While many paths can take you to a fit place, not sticking with it is the surest way to NOT get fit.

Lack of money is not a fatal flaw - you can get seriously fit at home with nothing more than a $20 pull-up bar invested.

True true. I had thought about that. I think the thing that I crave most is community. I hate going to the gym alone and being isolated while I work out. I think I would stick with any of this stuff because it's all very community based. I'm just not sure which would lead me towards my goals best.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    I'll throw out another idea-Mark Lauren's Body By You strength training program. $16 for the book and its only 3 times a week/30 minutes a time. I've been doing it for 5 weeks now and see very noticeable differences in my arms-not only do I have muscle definition, but my 'chicken wing' flap underneath is tighter . Plus my shoulders look amazing now, and my whole back has definition. My dh also says my butt looks a lot better lol. I love doing this program! Best part is you don't need any special equipment!
    *~Sara~*

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    I'd go parkour because it looks so fun! Then maybe jump around the classes offered at the Y. I do agree the best routine is the one you enjoy and will stick with. And yoga. Everyone should do yoga or a similar stretching regimen, it is amazing what it will do for your athletic abilities in general.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    I'll throw out another idea-Mark Lauren's Body By You strength training program. $16 for the book and its only 3 times a week/30 minutes a time. I've been doing it for 5 weeks now and see very noticeable differences in my arms-not only do I have muscle definition, but my 'chicken wing' flap underneath is tighter . Plus my shoulders look amazing now, and my whole back has definition. My dh also says my butt looks a lot better lol. I love doing this program! Best part is you don't need any special equipment!
    And I'll second the bodyweight option and thrown in with Fitness 666, same kind of bodyweight program, but FREE.
    Fitness 666: Bodyweight 666
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

jacob12 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post

Good answer

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Don't do any lifting for which you need a spotter. You can do so many exercises that don't call for someone to help you or watch you. You may want to stay away from bench presses, and don't do so many reps of any weight lift that you can't squeeze that last one out. If an exercises worries you or makes you feel unsafe, don't do it. There are too many others to choose from.

Does your Y have a weight room and free trainers? Mine does. They'll ask you what your goals are and show you the machines and weights that will help you achieve it. You want to try to find one that will steer you away from circuit training and take you directly to the weight rack. You may even want to hire someone to show you the ropes. Everyone learns differently. I can get the gist of any exercise by watching youtube, but ymmv.

I can't speak for bodypump v. 2013 but I took a bp class about 5 years ago and it was pretty lame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast