Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which fitness route to choose?? page 2

andi is offline Member
    Kickboxing and Jiu Jitsu are awesome and incredibly fun.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Do you have a Brazilian/Gracie Jiu Jitsu option?

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Our Y has what they call the "black mat" area which is free weights benches and cable machines. When you join you get one free basic session called S.M.A.R.T. Start where they will give you a variety of exercises for your fitness goals. They have 1 on 1 personal training and group training, which you have to pay for. I've done Body Pump, it's a group exercise class with dumbbells and barbells, but is more like endurance than lifting heavy things, but I like it. You determine how heavy you want to work with.

I was doing TRX for awhile, but my instructor left and I didn't care for the other instructors. The Y does offer a lot of choices. You should go take a tour.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Watts View Post
    That's possible eKatherine. I have read Starting Strength. The only thing stopping me is a lack of a spotter. I need to start bugging my friends about going to the gym with me
    I started lifting barbells two months ago and began with 8 sessions with a trainer who is a self described form zealot. It was money well spent to learn good (safe) form and to get oriented to dealing with bars and weights and racks.

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you like the community aspect, why not start at the YMCA, just to get your body back into it? Then you can see if the group aspect is what motivates you to get to the gym, or whether you have the discipline to do it at home. If you donate time to the babysitting rooms or somewhere else at the Y, you may get a reduced or free membership.

I've done both at-home programs and group classes at my gym. Both were effective, but I like the community aspect a lot. My gym offers Body Pump and I do like it. It's probably not 'real' weight lifting, but I've gained a lot of strength. I do yoga/Pilates a few times a week as well. It's a good combo, one that has prepared me to do more intense training if I want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12