Thread: Newbie with a tmi question. page

patientpaleo is offline Junior Member

Newbie with a tmi question.

Primal Fuel
    Started going PB about 2 weeks ago and since then I have been having on and off bouts of diarrhea, cold hands and feet, foggy brain and some heartburn.
    I eat 80% PB. Mostly fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds and meat regularly. Greek yogurt occasionally and maybe once or 2 a week, a grain product.
    Am I detoxing?

Thanks for your help,
    Christine

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    What exactly did you add to your diet and what did you remove?

Any coconut products? Stop using them for now. They can often cause digestive upset for people unused to them.

Eat more carbohydrates. Starches, fruits, rice.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Refined stuff mostly. No pasta, no bread, baked goods (my weakness) caffeine and alcohol.
    I did have a small glass of red wine last night, maybe that is what threw my in the gutter today.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    If you are having those symptoms on and off, but only had red wine last night, that is not likely the issue.

Cold hands and feet can indicate thyroid dysfunction. I suggest eating more carbs (doesn't have to be grains) as if you are going low carb, your body may not be well-suited to it.

The heartburn could be from not eating enough food, or something you are specifically eating. Could be from wine, could be a sensitivity that was not apparent before.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    In the first 2 weeks I don't recommend you change anything yet. Your body is detoxing and trying to deal with a lot of changes at once. It manifests in many different ways, especially gut disruption. At the 30 day mark, if you're still experiencing a lot of this stuff to the same degree, then consider making some changes.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Hey, might you have a sulfite allergy/sensitivity? I get an instant headache from wines with sulfites added (which is basically all wines). Our Daily Red is a cheap, tasty, organic, no-sulfites wine.

You might have more problems beyond that, but it's worth looking into. It's nice to enjoy a glass of wine again

When I tried to go low-carb I had cold extremities, gone now that I stopped counting them.

Heartburn for me is almost always from eating too much salt, or products with hidden salt (usually mustard, for me).

I dunno, all I can offer is insights from my own experience. Hope this helps a bit!

You know, I've been wondering about a gluten intolerance. I did have a mild curry chicken last night and small naan...ugh I wonder if it was the naan?
    Its funny I'm not having cramps just diarrhea. It could just be a bug too, I have a 2 year old who likes to be filthy. :/

It could be all of the above too. I'm 37, I've had low functioning thyroid and I also haven't been eating much lately. Kinda stressful times at home and work.
    Thank you all for responding. I will continue my journey of patience with this lifestyle. I know it is the way for me.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Only way to find out for sure if you have a gluten intolerance is to cut it out for a period of time and then reintroduce it. Otherwise you won't be able to isolate it as the cause of your symptoms. I had an inkling that I was sensitive but it took a gluten-free period followed by a reintroduction of a small amount to really expose to me the way my gut reacted to it.