Thread: Heading onto the FODMAP trail ... page

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member

Heading onto the FODMAP trail ...

Primal Fuel
    It's been three years since I returned to eating paleo (the biggest lapse occurring in my late teens and early twenties, when SAD and beer were my primary staples). I have avoided my culprits - glutens, processed foods, sugars, IgG reactive foods (nightshades, dairy, and much, much more) like the toxic demons they are ....

I've IF'd, gone into months of Whole30 .... thrown the scale into the deep caverns of my closet where only the dust bunnies reside and yet, here I am, still having digestive issues, not dropping any weight and feeling like warmed over crap all too often.

I have changed digestive enzymes and gone with a stronger probiotic, but after researching and looking at how my gut is reacting, I am coming to the conclusion that I am either dealing with fructose malabsorption or IBS.
    So I am keeping a more defined food log with reactions to everything I eat and I am going to see what results I will have with working with FODMAPS (obviously remaining paleo of course !)

It's more than apparent to me that if my food is not digesting properly, then I will continue to deal with issues of not absorbing the nutrients I need from food, as well as supplements - which likely is why I am still dealing with muscle cramps that send me straight down the road to hell.

My feelings are mixed with all of this ... the idea of eliminating even more things from my diet is not making me happy, considering the large number of things already gone, it's not leaving me with very many choices.
    On the flip side, I am excited that perhaps I have found the missing link (so to speak) that has eluded me over the past few years - and the idea of feeling better, getting the rest of the fat % down and not feeling like crappola is a good thing !

I've printed out the chart of FODMAPS. Looking over my notes over the past weeks, I am seeing that it would be near impossible for me isolate exactly what is bothering my gut unless I do eliminate it all. Fruits like apples and oranges - those two I already know are not ok for me. (Withholding the TMI on that !) I was eating onion daily (literally with everything) ... yet, I cannot isolate my reaction to onion when I was also eating other things that should be eliminated.

For those of you who are primal/paleo and following the FODMAPS, if you have any suggestions, thoughts, etc. - please let me know.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Paleobird Guest
    I don't have a FODMAP problem but a doctor who does, Dr. Georgia Ede, writes a very interesting blog you might find helpful, "Diagnosis: Diet".

I wish you well in figuring out your issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I don't have a FODMAP problem but a doctor who does, Dr. Georgia Ede, writes a very interesting blog you might find helpful, "Diagnosis: Diet".

I wish you well in figuring out your issues.
    Thank you ! I will look her up !

ombat is offline Senior Member
    The toughest part about FODMAPS to understand is that often your symptoms will be related to the dose, not just the food itself. For instance, I can have a meal with well cooked onions... once. If I have leftovers of that same meal any time within 48 hours, I will be in excruciating pain.

It's really tricky and requires a lot of discipline, but I feel it's worth it. Good luck.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    The toughest part about FODMAPS to understand is that often your symptoms will be related to the dose, not just the food itself. For instance, I can have a meal with well cooked onions... once. If I have leftovers of that same meal any time within 48 hours, I will be in excruciating pain.

It's really tricky and requires a lot of discipline, but I feel it's worth it. Good luck.
    I am seeing this already .... discipline I do have, sometimes to the extreme though !