Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Angelina Jolie page 8

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't see both sides. People should not have organs removed just for shits and giggles. This is a marketing gimmick for Big Surgery, and from the sounds of it at work, people are falling for it. You have a 100% chance of dying. Should you have your body removed to make sure it doesn't happen?
    haha swish!
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I don't see both sides. People should not have organs removed just for shits and giggles. This is a marketing gimmick for Big Surgery, and from the sounds of it at work, people are falling for it. You have a 100% chance of dying. Should you have your body removed to make sure it doesn't happen?
    Obviously we all die, but this is about preventing a very real and likely chance (given her genetic risk) of dying needlessly early. I am sure one would not go about this surgery lightly.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Don't people go about circumcision lightly? If you even try and discuss it with most parents, immediate dismissal and hostility.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

All of the women here arguing in favor of this new meme cult seem to be ignoring that people get their idea of good and right by ape'ing the behavior of the people that they perceive to have the things that they want.

Wafaa is offline Member
    Wow. WTF happened in this thread?!

I'm not sure why this is even a debate. Seeing as it's her body and her decision. Furthermore, I applaud her. Knowing personally what a tragedy it is to lose one's mother young, I can't blame her for choosing to go with a 5% chance of developing breast cancer vs an 87% chance of the same and dying young and putting her young kids through that for no point other than to appease the "it's mutilation" people. It is survival.

I realize primal tends to attract a lot of anti-establishment anti-medicine conspiracy tin foil people, but come on! Medicine is not inherently bad. It's bad when you don't use your critical thinking skills and accept dogma at face value. Especially considering much of our primal info comes from those same medical studies, as anyone who's ever read one/any post by Mark and followed one of those links should have noticed.
    My art blog.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Epigenetics, anyone? Even cancer-prone mice often fail to develop tumors when fed properly. This is marketing, brain-washed crap. If I found out I was prone to ANY cancer, I would follow PB and stay healthy - not start chopping things off! What lunacy and madness! Don't even pretend this has anything to do with men or women, this is a stupid human problem. Only stupid people will volunteer to have expensive surgery "just in case" they might have gotten cancer some day.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Only stupid people will volunteer to have expensive surgery "just in case" they might have gotten cancer some day.
    But the expensive part doesn't enter into the equation for her. She has enough money that the cost of this surgery for her is something like me buying a pack of gum. Not exactly a bank breaking decision.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    One of the concepts of the whole primal/paleo way of living and eating is that while you may be genetically predisposed to a disease or condition, by eating and living correctly (staying away from processed food, getting plenty of exercise and sunlight, etc.), you may keep that "bad gene" from being switched on to active mode to give you cancer.

Angelina Jolie, while having a double mastectomy was certainly her choice, treated a non-existent diagnosis of breast cancer. She did not treat the root cause of what might have switched that gene on that might of given her that cancer.

I firmly believe that the rise in cancers over the past several decades is directly related to diet, so called "health care" and lifestyle. Over use of antibiotics that inhibit the immunity system (which also fights cancers in addition to germs), poor diet, no exercise and the slathering on of SPF 500000 sunblock is the root cause of the rise in cancers.

Using the same (flawed) logic of Ms. Jolie, if I'm predisposed to having testicular cancer, I should have my balls removed. Oh Shit! I'm adopted! I don't know my birth family history! Off to the doctor to be castrated I'll go...yea, right.

We are all predisposed to die of something, we are born, we die, it is up to us to choose the lifestyle that will stretch the time between birth and death out as long as possible. Assuming we don't get run over by a truck mind you.

If hacking off body parts is the only way to stretch that time out, I'll take an early death thank you very much.

Or, I could treat my body right, eat the right things, exercise, get sunlight, etc. and, before I forget, STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM DOCTORS!

But that is just me, your results may vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    All else aside, that comic is well done.

As for Ms. Jolie, I treat it as I do most things with celebrities - with a huge side of who gives a f*ck?
    I generally agree with these.... Citing a 80% reduced risk based on mastectomy is probably ludicrous. I could probably cite a 95% reduced risk based on proper lifestyle modification correct?

However I also can appreciate that we all make choices based on our own perceived risk/reward. Based on what she currently believes she decided this was her best choice. Can't fault a person for making a decision. Her body her call. In fact I don't care if she decided to have both her breasts removed just cause she wanted to.... again her body her call.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-16-2013 at 09:15 AM.

But her 20 million braindead, delusional, identity-less and desperate fan-girls, who fail to notice the distinctions between her living conditions and their own? Expense is a factor. And now it will be a tax-funded factor.

anyway the objections we are raising has less to do with her decision (who gives a fuck if she lives or dies?) but the obviously agenda-driven coverage that is clearly part of a greater PR campaign.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast