Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supple Leopard? page 3

miata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ordered the book on Amazon after reviewing the preview and listening to this podcast on the StrongeLifts side. It sounds like even Mehdi is learning from Kelly.

I was checking out some of the videos on the MobilityWOD site and even got a one month premium upgrade to review a bunch of the videos that are no longer free. I picked up a Lacrosse ball the other day and that is very useful for massaging the muscles. In the videos I see a bunch of resistance bands. Where do folks generally buy those things. I checked out Amazon and they are relatively expensive -- and they seem like something better to purchase locally, so that you can try before you buy.

Thoughts on resistance bands by folks who are familiar with the book and/or the MobilityWOD methodology?

HelloMeteor is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Has anybody read Kelly Starrett's book "Becoming a Supple Leopard"? It is a bit pricey (although a fraction of the cost of a physical therapy session). His MobilIty Wod site has lots of great content, but hard to put the pieces together, hard to search.

So wondering: have you read the book? Does it add substantial value above and beyond his site?
    I have the exact feeling. WOD has lots of info. But that's the problem. For someone frustrated with 8 years of failing to get any help in the PT industry, it's too much to sort through. I simply can't handle it. It's information overload. I need coaching.

dwkdnvr is offline Member
    Received my copy yesterday, and first impressions are that it's easily and obviously worth the Amazon price. High quality printing, color photos, and my initial skim through and read of the first few sections makes me optimistic that it'll be pretty much what I was hoping for content-wise.
    Like HelloMeteor above, I've poked around MobilityWOD and gleaned some great nuggets, but have just been unable to put together a coherent 'big picture' view of things. This book really seems to be aimed at doing that.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkdnvr View Post
    Received my copy yesterday, and first impressions are that it's easily and obviously worth the Amazon price. High quality printing, color photos, and my initial skim through and read of the first few sections makes me optimistic that it'll be pretty much what I was hoping for content-wise.
    Like HelloMeteor above, I've poked around MobilityWOD and gleaned some great nuggets, but have just been unable to put together a coherent 'big picture' view of things. This book really seems to be aimed at doing that.
    Great. Thanks for this info. Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    In the videos I see a bunch of resistance bands. Where do folks generally buy those things. I checked out Amazon and they are relatively expensive -- and they seem like something better to purchase locally, so that you can try before you buy.

Thoughts on resistance bands by folks who are familiar with the book and/or the MobilityWOD methodology?
    You can get them from Rogue Fitness, look here --> Rogue Monster Bands. The price depends on how "strong" you want one (pounds of resistance). I'd think you'd need only two or three singles of different resistances.

You could also find a local Crossfit box and just ask if you can look at ones they have there. They'd probably let you "test" them to see what they're like. The owner of the box where I Crossfit sold me a couple at cost when he ordered some new ones.

You may also be able to find them at any big sports store.

miata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    You can get them from Rogue Fitness, look here --> Rogue Monster Bands. The price depends on how "strong" you want one (pounds of resistance). I'd think you'd need only two or three singles of different resistances.

You could also find a local Crossfit box and just ask if you can look at ones they have there. They'd probably let you "test" them to see what they're like. The owner of the box where I Crossfit sold me a couple at cost when he ordered some new ones.

You may also be able to find them at any big sports store.
    I'll have to drop in one of the local stores to see what they have.

BTW, I got my copy of Becoming a Supple Leopard today. My initial thoughts after a couple of hours of reading and scanning:

Pros:
    - nice hardcopy book
    - the photos are very good
    - the organization of the solution part of the book is good
    - there is tons of content -- seems that everything must be covered

Cons:
    - I have a hard time reading the conceptual stuff at the beginning of this book. Kelly is much better at doing videos than writing (or is it Glen, the co-writer?). I can understand why so many people skip the front and go straight to the solutions
    - I would have liked more diagrams with arrows and things like that since there is a lot of talk about forces, torque, etc.
    - no index -- as others have mentioned

Net net is that his book is a keeper. The content is there, but I wish it was written much better. It provides some good structure for accessing all the videos on the web site. I can see myself spending hours trying to absorb all of the info here.

teawithsteph is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    Check your library to see if they have it. Our system has one copy. It at least gives you a chance to look at it before deciding to plunk down the $ to buy it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have now requested a copy so I can check it out before we purchase it. I have quite the primal selection of books in my request list currently.

Hooligan is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm having a hard time with this book. He seems to ramble a lot, just like his interviews. He probably could have edited it down by at least a third.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123