Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interested in Keto running page

FireFinder is offline Senior Member

Interested in Keto running

Primal Fuel
    I am interested to learn more about running longer distances while VLC and using fat as fuel. Anyone have a guide they can suggest? Or any experience to share?

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by S Phinney and J Volek.

I think Peter Attia does low carb running as well - eatingacademy.com

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    I've got a copy of Ketogenic diets and physical performance by Stephen D Phinney as a PDF if you want it. Good stuff.

Abstract

Impaired physical performance is a common but not obligate result of a low carbohydrate diet.
    Lessons from traditional Inuit culture indicate that time for adaptation, optimized sodium and
    potassium nutriture, and constraint of protein to 15–25 % of daily energy expenditure allow
    unimpaired endurance performance despite nutritional ketosis.
    Last edited by chronyx; 05-15-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Edit: I think my Stephen D Phinney might be the same as upupandaway's S Phinney.

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    I've got a copy of Ketogenic diets and physical performance by Stephen D Phinney as a PDF if you want it. Good stuff.

Yes, would love a PDF copy... is email best way to send? PM me, if you have a chance. Thanks so much, really interesting stuff!

MaceyUK is online now Senior Member
    Hi Firefinder, I am a low carb runner and I can recommend it. It's really tough to begin with as your body is not used to utilising fats for respiration. The first time I did a low carb run I bonked at about 6 miles (after a month of VLC eating)and had to walk. The next run I could maintain a slow and hard jog at 6 miles but hills were out of the question. now, nearly a year on I am running over 20 miles with no carbs.
    Mitochondria in the muscles can use fats but there are a few extra biochemical steps to release the energy. Once your mitochondria have built up in number and efficiency you are good to go but this adaptive process takes a while and you have to suffer the indignity of watching lesser athletes fly past you in the early stages of adaptation. Medium chain triglycerides are a great way to get your mitochondria onto the "diesel" and there are plenty in coconut milk. You can also buy them in a pure form but I'm not convinced of the need.
    Saying all that I am aiming to be metabolically flexible enough to burn whatever fuel is available to me so that I can eventually run the same on whatever fuel source is available to my body at the time.

RayDWeger is offline Member
    Will coconut oil help start the adaptation while going VLC? I am helping a friend / Iron Man Competitor who has a race at the end of this month. After that he & I are converting him to the primal WOE as he is unhappy with performance level and recovery times at 47 years old

If that PDF is available I would like a copy as well

MaceyUK is online now Senior Member
    Coconut oil is great for "persuading" your mitochondria to metabolise fats. A good "bonk run" helps the process too. Basically deplete your glycogen completely and then go for a nice, slow jog. Drink plenty of fluids and restock on salt. If your sweat is salty as Popeye's jockstrap you're doing it right

Sounds like our plan of roughly 3 weeks of VLC / and coconut oils with the 1st being rest only 2 nd being 50 % of max training building up to a

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bonk by the end of week 3 should get him on the fat burning train

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast