Thread: Sucralose... This just in. page

scobib is offline Junior Member

Sucralose... This just in.

Splenda and sucralose proven to contribute to development of diabetes

Should be interesting to see how this shakes out... (apologies for the pun )

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Those who are convinced that artificial sweeteners are an effective way to control weight will say that were it not for the massive and ever-increasing amounts of artificial sweeteners being consumed by the public, obesity would be even worse.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    While I don't touch Splenda and I think it's garbage, that study didn't tell too much.

It was very short and the control was water. Yes, it had a much higher insulin reaction compared to water...but how would it fair against the sweetener it replaced? To me, that would be much more interesting. Also, the study was on a tiny group of obese people who don't use Splenda regularly. Maybe the effect wears off after regular use? Maybe it increases? Maybe it works differently in non-obese people?

Once again, I don't think anyone should touch Splenda, but that study did not warrant the articles headline. We should hold studies that back our own beliefs to the same high standards we hold contrary studies.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
    It was very short and the control was water. Yes, it had a much higher insulin reaction compared to water...but how would it fair against the sweetener it replaced?
    The reason they compared sucralose and water was to see if it had any effect on a glucose tolerance test. They weren't comparing it to other sweeteners. Hope that clears up the confusion.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    it was a tiny sample size too. still, i'm glad i don't use it