Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grade my lunch please?

Hybrid View

Grade my lunch please?

Ok, this was my lunch: a couple handfuls of green olives, a small big-ass salad, 4 hard-boiled eggs, a couple pickles, a Coke Zero. And I spread guacamole on the eggs. This was grazed on throughout the day.

The olives & the guacamole are high-fat, I know; I hope the right kind of fat. The salad had the usual lettuce, some turkey, ham, cheese, and creamy ranch dressing. It was a pre-packaged 7/11 salad that said it had 300-something calories. There was very little cheese.

So the Coke Zero wasn't paleo, of course, but I don't think there was anything in there that would derail my attempt to convince my body to burn fat rather than sugar. Cheese, of course, but there was a paltry amount.

Any comments or criticism?

Coke Zero has aspartame, which while not real sugar, can still cause an insulin response (but that's the least of your worries). Also the ranch dressing is full of industrial seed oils hydrogenated oils and/or HFCS.

The healthiest part was the eggs and guac.

Quote Originally Posted by EMonger View Post
    Ok, this was my lunch: a couple handfuls of green olives, a small big-ass salad, 4 hard-boiled eggs, a couple pickles, a Coke Zero. And I spread guacamole on the eggs. This was grazed on throughout the day.

The olives & the guacamole are high-fat, I know; I hope the right kind of fat. The salad had the usual lettuce, some turkey, ham, cheese, and creamy ranch dressing. It was a pre-packaged 7/11 salad that said it had 300-something calories. There was very little cheese.

So the Coke Zero wasn't paleo, of course, but I don't think there was anything in there that would derail my attempt to convince my body to burn fat rather than sugar. Cheese, of course, but there was a paltry amount.

Any comments or criticism?
    Your lunch is a total fail. Here's why you lost points:

A small big-ass salad makes no sense. No points deducted, but had to call it out.

Coke zero - Gross chemical-laden (and chemical-tasting) junk. Food reward/hyperpalatability fail. -5 points
    7-11 turkey, ham and cheese - are not actually turkey, ham, or cheese. -15 points
    Creamy ranch dressing - rancid PUFA. Worse than gluten for a non-celiac sufferer. -50 points
    You got points for the hard-boiled eggs (although if they were from a local farm rather than 7-11, you'd have received a higher score), the guacamole, and the olives.

Bad news: You failed. This isn't Atkins. Eat real food.

The good news: You get a do-over.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Your lunch is a total fail. Here's why you lost points:

A small big-ass salad makes no sense. No points deducted, but had to call it out.
    It was small, but big-ass in that it had a lot of everything. That kind of big-ass.
    Coke zero - Gross chemical-laden (and chemical-tasting) junk. Food reward/hyperpalatability fail. -5
    If you've never developed a craving/addiction for soda, you wouldn't understand. Coke Zero keeps me from drinking regular Coke.
    7-11 turkey, ham and cheese - are not actually turkey, ham, or cheese. -15
    You're probably right. But I stopped in there to get hard-boiled eggs and the salad was in the same case, so I tried it. It was pretty good, too. If I get real turkey & ham from the grocery store & cut it up myself, that would make it a pass instead?
    Creamy ranch dressing - rancid PUFA. Worse than gluten for a non-celiac sufferer. -50 points
    I know I need to do something a little different than commercial dressing. What? I really don't see myself eating such a salad with NOTHING on it. I'm sure there are paleo dressings that can be whipped up at home, but the ones I've seen have crazy-ass ingredients that I don't know what they are, don't have, and won't ever have. It's like that commercial for something or other where the guy is making some Chinese meal, asking the kids where mommy keeps the lau zhou zhon.
    You got points for the hard-boiled eggs (although if they were from a local farm rather than 7-11, you'd have received a higher score), the guacamole, and the olives.
    The pickles were good too, right? I have to eat something besides eggs with guacamole.
    Bad news: You failed. This isn't Atkins. Eat real food.
    I thought I was. What's the difference between what I'm doing and Atkins? Both say carbs sucketh, and though the salad dressing needs to go....what else?
    Last edited by EMonger; 05-15-2013 at 06:58 AM.

What's the difference between what I'm doing and Atkins? Both say carbs sucketh
    no. they don't. eating real food DOES NOT EQUAL eating low carb. this isn't a trademarked, pre-packaged lifestyle. eat real food. don't drink soda. saying you are addicted is a crutch. don't buy it. end of discussion. salad dressing. hmmm.. oil and vinegar, some spices, a little Dijon to emulsify. whisk. done. what fancy ingredients?

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    no. they don't. eating real food DOES NOT EQUAL eating low carb. this isn't a trademarked, pre-packaged lifestyle. eat real food. don't drink soda. saying you are addicted is a crutch. don't buy it. end of discussion. salad dressing. hmmm.. oil and vinegar, some spices, a little Dijon to emulsify. whisk. done. what fancy ingredients?
    Nailed it.

I do want to eat real food, and the more of it I eat, the less crap I want. Hence the eggs, olives, pickles, etc. It's just a challenge eating right as a truck driver. But I haven't had a McDonalds craving for a long time, or even a Taco Bell craving, though my Chipotle craving still rages.
    But aren't I right in saying that primal eating avoids carbs--generally? Eliminate grains and anything processed, and eat meat, vegetables, fruit, and drink water or tea, right? I saw a paleo-revised food pyramid that was shaped like a dinner plate. One half said "meat" and the other was labeled "vegetables." I had no meat in my lunch, other than the meat in the salad, which was likely full of preservatives, and the rest was vegetables and eggs, other than the Coke Zero & dressing.
    Oh, yeah, took a spicy V8, but forgot to drink it.

Get out of my head, dude.

Which you put in a little bottle to pack with the tupperware bowl that contains your salad.

If you've never developed a craving/addiction for soda, you wouldn't understand.

You're probably right. But

I'm sure there are paleo dressings that can be whipped up at home, but the ones I've seen have crazy-ass ingredients that I don't know what they are, don't have, and won't ever have.
    Lots of 'buts' and such. Hey, you asked people to grade you.

I thought I was. What's the difference between what I'm doing and Atkins? Both say carbs sucketh,
    No they don't, but they do say grains sucketh. Or Primal/paleo does anyway, not familiar with Atkins, but this isn't an Atkins site. Grains are carbs and grains sucketh, but not all carbs are grains. Carbs don't necessarily sucketh.

Inb4 what's good carbs: Veg, fruit, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, rice sometimes but depends what you believe in, blah blah etc.