Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grade my lunch please? page

EMonger is offline Member

Grade my lunch please?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, this was my lunch: a couple handfuls of green olives, a small big-ass salad, 4 hard-boiled eggs, a couple pickles, a Coke Zero. And I spread guacamole on the eggs. This was grazed on throughout the day.

The olives & the guacamole are high-fat, I know; I hope the right kind of fat. The salad had the usual lettuce, some turkey, ham, cheese, and creamy ranch dressing. It was a pre-packaged 7/11 salad that said it had 300-something calories. There was very little cheese.

So the Coke Zero wasn't paleo, of course, but I don't think there was anything in there that would derail my attempt to convince my body to burn fat rather than sugar. Cheese, of course, but there was a paltry amount.

Any comments or criticism?

peppermint is offline Member
    Coke Zero has aspartame, which while not real sugar, can still cause an insulin response (but that's the least of your worries). Also the ranch dressing is full of industrial seed oils hydrogenated oils and/or HFCS.

The healthiest part was the eggs and guac.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EMonger View Post
    Ok, this was my lunch: a couple handfuls of green olives, a small big-ass salad, 4 hard-boiled eggs, a couple pickles, a Coke Zero. And I spread guacamole on the eggs. This was grazed on throughout the day.

The olives & the guacamole are high-fat, I know; I hope the right kind of fat. The salad had the usual lettuce, some turkey, ham, cheese, and creamy ranch dressing. It was a pre-packaged 7/11 salad that said it had 300-something calories. There was very little cheese.

So the Coke Zero wasn't paleo, of course, but I don't think there was anything in there that would derail my attempt to convince my body to burn fat rather than sugar. Cheese, of course, but there was a paltry amount.

Any comments or criticism?
    Your lunch is a total fail. Here's why you lost points:

A small big-ass salad makes no sense. No points deducted, but had to call it out.

Coke zero - Gross chemical-laden (and chemical-tasting) junk. Food reward/hyperpalatability fail. -5 points
    7-11 turkey, ham and cheese - are not actually turkey, ham, or cheese. -15 points
    Creamy ranch dressing - rancid PUFA. Worse than gluten for a non-celiac sufferer. -50 points
    You got points for the hard-boiled eggs (although if they were from a local farm rather than 7-11, you'd have received a higher score), the guacamole, and the olives.

Bad news: You failed. This isn't Atkins. Eat real food.

The good news: You get a do-over.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Try avoiding having even sugar-free drinks around meal times. There are many reasons to avoid them ("false sugar" response, too much caffeine at once, artificial additives that can upset your body if you're sensitive...).

Guacamole is good, as the fat is from avocado. Olives are also amazing for you. Don't fret over cheese. The lactose-fat ratio is typically very balanced, so it SHOULDN'T cause an issue. If it DOES affect your weight-loss, by all means cut down or cut it out, though. It's all about trial-and-error methodology..

You're doing OK, but try and check the ingredients list for EVERYTHING that isn't just veg or meat. The ranch dressing, for example, may have had added sugar, soya lecthins...etc
    A good trick is actually to pre-cut some leafy greens, hard-boil some eggs and slice some meat at the start of the week and just throw it all together every evening for tomorrow's salad. That was you avoid naughties getting in.

Grazing is also OK, but some people find it slows their weight-loss. Experiment with grazing vs fasting methods, to see which works best for you. If you're trying to get your body to burn its own fat, going hungry sometimes is actually a brilliant way to kick-start this pattern (despite all that "starvation-mode" bull----).
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    The idea of such a salad if home made is good. The fact that you get it from 7-11 is a big mistake.
    Diet coke ? why not simple water ?? I did not grow up in the US or UK so coke as a daily beverage is just alien to me (like everything in it feels bad but that's just me).

By the way, a small big-ass salad is a "small-ass salad"

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post

A small big-ass salad makes no sense. No points deducted, but had to call it out.
    It was small, but big-ass in that it had a lot of everything. That kind of big-ass.
    Coke zero - Gross chemical-laden (and chemical-tasting) junk. Food reward/hyperpalatability fail. -5
    If you've never developed a craving/addiction for soda, you wouldn't understand. Coke Zero keeps me from drinking regular Coke.
    7-11 turkey, ham and cheese - are not actually turkey, ham, or cheese. -15
    You're probably right. But I stopped in there to get hard-boiled eggs and the salad was in the same case, so I tried it. It was pretty good, too. If I get real turkey & ham from the grocery store & cut it up myself, that would make it a pass instead?
    Creamy ranch dressing - rancid PUFA. Worse than gluten for a non-celiac sufferer. -50 points
    I know I need to do something a little different than commercial dressing. What? I really don't see myself eating such a salad with NOTHING on it. I'm sure there are paleo dressings that can be whipped up at home, but the ones I've seen have crazy-ass ingredients that I don't know what they are, don't have, and won't ever have. It's like that commercial for something or other where the guy is making some Chinese meal, asking the kids where mommy keeps the lau zhou zhon.
    You got points for the hard-boiled eggs (although if they were from a local farm rather than 7-11, you'd have received a higher score), the guacamole, and the olives.
    The pickles were good too, right? I have to eat something besides eggs with guacamole.
    I thought I was. What's the difference between what I'm doing and Atkins? Both say carbs sucketh, and though the salad dressing needs to go....what else?
    Last edited by EMonger; 05-15-2013 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    The idea of such a salad if home made is good. The fact that you get it from 7-11 is a big mistake.
    Diet coke ? why not simple water ?? I did not grow up in the US or UK so coke as a daily beverage is just alien to me (like everything in it feels bad but that's just me).

By the way, a small big-ass salad is a "small-ass salad"
    Big-ass as in lots of stuff added to it, usually ham, turkey, tomatoes, cheese, etc. In the US, that's a big-ass salad.

When the weather gets hotter, I'll crave more water. Last summer, when it was above 100 every day in July and I was working outside on day shift, I drank water all day. Escaping that horrendous heat is why I changed to nights. But overall, I drink soda. Can't imagine it otherwise. Plain water gets boring quick.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I'd give you a B for effort and a D for execution. Just take everything you ate and ramp it up and make it the best you can make it. Instead of buying a salad at 7/11, get organic fresh produce at the market and make it yourself. Instead of packaged salad dressing, make your own with good oils and condiments. Instead of diet coke, if you aren't ready for plain water, make green tea and ice it and add some raw honey to it. Think good fats, good food. Not quick, convenient, already packaged food.

Just...rethink the word food. Make it nourishing and healing. As you continue to eat well, what often happens is you start to automatically reject the lesser quality to gravitate towards better choices.

But overall, I drink soda. Can't imagine it otherwise. Plain water gets boring quick.
    Maybe try seltzer water with some cold tea or a lime or some honey in it as a transitional fizzy drink, if you can't go cold turkey. Honestly, diet coke is just crap. I think actual regular coke is less harmful than diet.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post

Coke zero - Gross chemical-laden (and chemical-tasting) junk. Food reward/hyperpalatability fail. -5 points
    7-11 turkey, ham and cheese - are not actually turkey, ham, or cheese. -15 points

The good news: You get a do-over.
    this
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    What's the difference between what I'm doing and Atkins? Both say carbs sucketh
    no. they don't. eating real food DOES NOT EQUAL eating low carb. this isn't a trademarked, pre-packaged lifestyle. eat real food. don't drink soda. saying you are addicted is a crutch. don't buy it. end of discussion. salad dressing. hmmm.. oil and vinegar, some spices, a little Dijon to emulsify. whisk. done. what fancy ingredients?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast