Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grade my lunch please? page 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If nobody mentioned it yet, try club-soda with a squirt of lemon or lime (real, fresh) instead of a diet pop. I hate kombucha and it is expensive, but maybe you will like it. You can also pour boiling water over sliced apples or berries, leave overnight to steep, chill and use as your drink (carry along in a thermos).
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EMonger View Post
    Regular potatoes? I've read that they're on the "sucketh" list, and that rice, while not good, is only minimally bad. For someone trying to lose weight, shouldn't rice be avoided?
    It's why I added the "depends what you believe in" snarky comment -- it falls into the grey area where many disagree with each other.

Some believe you should lower carbs as it's the only way to lose fat because of insulin spikes, others believe carbs don't hinder weight loss and that you just shouldn't go over your maintenance calories. The "theory" there being: The fat you aren't eating is being consumed from your own stores.

Aka: You need to try and see what works for you, personally. 95% here at least agree that grains (as in wheat, gluten) should be avoided.

EMonger is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    I don't really understand why you post a thread asking others to critique your lunch, which you already know it not the best thing you could have eaten, then defend your actions and choices.
    Well, I'm trying to arrive at the truth, by posing a question and challenging the answers. I find that necessary because of all the conflicting definitions over what does or doesn't constitute primal eating. I get my primal ideas from Mark Sisson, who has said that white potatoes suck and carbs suck generally unless you're getting ready for a marathon or something. But we have a lot of divergence of opinion here, so there's no way I can condense everything I'm reading into a cohesive answer without the "Yeah, but"s.
    Why not eat such a salad with nothing on it? With all that turkey, ham, cheese, olives, pickles, etc, there's plenty of flavour there. Again, it's a mindset that lettuce leaves need to be drenched in sauce. Besides, you had guacamole, too...get some guac on your fork, then stab salad, and eat. As for homemade salad dressings with 'crazy-ass ingredients' - olive oil, vinegar, herbs and spices. Doesn't sound crazy-ass to me.
    The guacamole idea is pretty good. I could even just put the eggs in the salad with the guacamole. But, being that my only goal with paleo eating, at least now, is to convince my body to burn fat rather than sugar and thereby lose weight, is there a limit to how much guacamole I should eat? I'm currently using about 4 tablespoons on my eggs.
    Paleo/primal diets do not 'say carbs sucketh' - I'm tucking into some breakfast right now that includes roasted potato hash browns. Paleo/primal diets say shitty seed oils, grains, unnecessary sugars and frankenfoods...sucketh.
    This is what I mean by the conflicting information. Mark Sisson says white potatoes sucketh. I don't know how to arrive at the truth with some people saying dairy sucks and others saying to melt some butter into your coffee; some say all potatoes other than sweet potatoes are to be avoided while others say potatoes are perfectly ok, and they all call themselves primal/paleo/caveman. I don't know how to process that.
    If you have access to a grocery store to scrounge up some lunch you'll be far better off, although putting a lunch together at home and carrying it with you is ideal.
    I can shop and prepare on my days off. Doing much prep during the week is out of the question, unfortunately, because of the hours they keep me busy. I can throw things in the cooler on my way out the door.
    If you *have to* have something to drink that's not plain water, go for some no sugar added fruit juice or milk.
    There's that GD dairy again...others will tell me Grok didn't domesticate cattle so dairy is out. So what do I do with that?

Quote Originally Posted by pollo_la View Post
    You would seriously be better off drinking a REAL coke with HFCS!!

Also, there are some simple Paleo salad dressings out there. Just google and look around. I actually came up with this one on my own (not 100% paleo because of the sugar though - you could probably use 2 T of honey in place of the sugar though???)
    If I drank real Coke, wouldn't that derail my attempts to make my body burn fat instead of sugar?

What about substituting Stevia for sugar? It's what I use in my coffee.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I'd love to see where Mark says potatoes sucketh? There are probably better ways to get your carbs than white potatoes though. Dairy is primal - if you can tolerate it.

How to convince your body to burn fat? Well that depends on the individual...some of us need to be low carb, others need more carbs and less protein, some do well on high fat. You need to master the basics of primal eating first and stick with it for a while, and then you can start tweaking.

Have you read Primal Blueprint? If not, I would recommend it.

My favourite salad dressing: EVOO and raw apple cider vinegar.

If you can shop and prepare on days off then do so....I batch cook at the weekend and freeze things so all I have to do in the mornings is take something out of the freezer and later throw a few veggies together. If you lead a busy life - as I do - it's essential if you want to eat well.

Techie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EMonger View Post
    It was small, but big-ass in that it had a lot of everything. That kind of big-ass.

If you've never developed a craving/addiction for soda, you wouldn't understand. Coke Zero keeps me from drinking regular Coke.

You're probably right. But I stopped in there to get hard-boiled eggs and the salad was in the same case, so I tried it. It was pretty good, too. If I get real turkey & ham from the grocery store & cut it up myself, that would make it a pass instead?

I know I need to do something a little different than commercial dressing. What? I really don't see myself eating such a salad with NOTHING on it. I'm sure there are paleo dressings that can be whipped up at home, but the ones I've seen have crazy-ass ingredients that I don't know what they are, don't have, and won't ever have. It's like that commercial for something or other where the guy is making some Chinese meal, asking the kids where mommy keeps the lau zhou zhon.

The pickles were good too, right? I have to eat something besides eggs with guacamole.

I thought I was. What's the difference between what I'm doing and Atkins? Both say carbs sucketh, and though the salad dressing needs to go....what else?
    So you asked for help but then critique everyone's feedback.

PS there's nothing wrong eating naked salads or just pouring olive oil and vinegar on them.

Get over your soda drinking, fake sugar creates real sugar cravings and binging later.

Excuse me for any typos and sarcastic remarks, sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Timthetaco Guest
    These people sure are laying into you over nothing. I think your lunch could use more carbohydrates*. Personally, it doesn't feel like a meal to me if it doesn't have some kind of carb. Processed meats are really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, despite being "chemical laden and tasting crap," and I admire your effort to try to get off soda. My wife used to be the queen of Dr. Pepper, but she tapered off it using tea sweetened with stevia, which eventually turned into unsweet tea. Honestly, the worst part of your lunch was the dressing, but nothing you ate is going to derail your efforts to lose fat. When I was low carb, I ate all sorts of horrible, processed crap and lost a ton of weight.

*your mileage may vary, I wouldn't suggest a diabetic needs to be eating white potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    If nobody mentioned it yet, try club-soda with a squirt of lemon or lime (real, fresh) instead of a diet pop.
    Isn't that kind of bitter? I know I'm on a list of people who eschew sweet beverages but it's going to be a while before I get to that point. What about adding Stevia to it?

You can also pour boiling water over sliced apples or berries, leave overnight to steep, chill and use as your drink (carry along in a thermos).
    Steep it in the fridge? I wouldn't think it'd be good to leave it out at room temperature, would it? That sounds like an idea worth trying...make a batch on the weekend, bottle it...

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    so today's effort wasn't brilliant but Id imagine it was an improvement for you. The beginning of anything is learning. We all start there. Did you get the books when you joined? if you didn't then get them. If you did then read them. The info for beginning is in there.
    this post is worth using http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html -follow the links.
    Do lose the coke though. If you like fizzy things (orange fanta zero is my weakness) get sparkling water instead.
    Above all though don't get disheartened. If you're like me you've eaten like crap for years. it takes a while to find your feet so take the time to read.
    the recipe are also useful even if you dont cook them. you'll see the best foods and whats done with them and it generates ideas

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I usually steep mine on the counter, particular if it is dry berries or rose hips. It is slowly growing colder. You can also just leave it overnight in a slow cooker on a low setting.

Liquid stevia is a preferred sweetener (but the only thing that disguises the taste imo are cranberries), and you can always use a very small amount of raw honey. Honey is actually much sweeter than sugar. But I react to honey with bad acne so I am not using it, even if the flavor is superior to any other sugar to my taste buds

I also make lemonade by the 19th century recipe for my folks (I don't use sugar at all), that contain minimal amount of sugar (1/2 cup for 6 cups of water). Basically you slice the yellow parts of the rinds from 6 lemons, mix them with 1/2 c sugar, let sit for about an hour. Then pour 6 boiling cups of water over it. Let sit for about 30 min. Then juice the 5 lemons through the sieve, mix together and let cool down. 1/2 c sugar is normally sweet enough.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast